sub 9mm

This is a discussion on sub 9mm within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I got some specs from pocketholsters.com, and their solo holster will fit into my pocket, and since the pm9 and p290 seem to be very ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: sub 9mm

I got some specs from pocketholsters.com, and their solo holster will fit into my pocket, and since the pm9 and p290 seem to be very close in size, all three should fit, but they would be the max. I have not even really heard about the sig p938 so I guess it would be good to try and find some info before purchasing, then again, who wants to be a beta tester

just looked at the p938 specs, it's almost half an inch longer, wouldn't fit

2. Remove Ads

Completely different but very pocket able is a j-frame with boot grips. I have carried mine in the front pocket of my jeans with a Galco holster. More powerful than a 9 with +P and no feed concerns. I will admit I carry it iwb 90% of the time but in a pinch it is good. For me, a Bodyguard .380 with Hornady Critical Defense ammo is the best concealed pocket carry for my needs. As far as 9's are concerned you should look at the LC9 by Ruger. I had an early run model and it had some issues but the new ones are good.
    Frank.

I believe the smallest 9mm is the Rohrbaugh, but it is simply too expensive for most people at $1K plus. Under $1K, the smallest is the PM/CM9 from Kahr. While the new Sig 239 is not out yet, it is four thenths longer than the PM/CM. And, at last check, the Solos were still being worked on to correct a couple of design problems. You can still find AMT 9s, but IMO I'd pass on them.

If "pocket" is the guiding criteria, I suggest you visit a few LGSs and put each one in your pocket. As one person pointed out, it really depends on your pocket. Right now, I'd probably be looking at the Kahrs. Good luck.
    NRA Lifer Since 1971

the dimenisons on the solo wallet holster just fits into my pocket, so anything larger would not fit. I know this isn't the ideal method of carry, I would just rather have something than nothing, and would rather back pocket than ankle carry, neither are optimal for draw, but both are the only methods for what I do. the only plus to ankle carry, is that there will most likely be large objects between me and a BG, so I do have time and cover to squat and draw, as well as if they force me to the safe, I can draw while in the safe, and ankle carry would greatly improve my gun options

Block G26 = definitely

Kel-Tec PF9 = yes

Kel-Tec P11 = another yes

Kahr CM9 = "MEH" ... probably not

beretta nano = no way I'd rather throw a sharp-stick

I have both the SOLO and a PM9 and like them both. No issues ever with either gun but I find I shoot the SOLO much better.

I have a CM9 and it's about as big in the pocket as I want to go. I had a Walther PPS which was an excellent gun for IWB, however I could never get it to work in a pocket. The trigger on the LC9 is well...pretty horrid again in my own opinion.

I pocket carry a Taurus PT709 with no problem. I've got over 2,000 rounds through it with no malfs at all.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

No man-made object is 101% perfect.

But their are several firearms that are known to be less then 68% reliable and most of us here know which ones they are.

Personally I'll stick with the one's best known to be at least 98.999999999% known to ignite a primer sending a projectile out of its barrel in an intended direction when their trigger is activated and doing it till the mag is empty without any issues along the way.

If I find myself in a not so desirable situation I want to have something that is known to go kaaah=boooom when the trigger is pulled way, way, way more often then not.

So I'm not looking for a prom-queen to carry to the prom, I'm carrying the one that has a truly known reputation for knowing how to dance when we take to the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by zamboni View Post
    No man-made object is 101% perfect.

But their are several firearms that are known to be less then 68% reliable and most of us here know which ones they are.

Personally I'll stick with the one's best known to be at least 98.999999999% known to ignite a primer sending a projectile out of its barrel in an intended direction when their trigger is activated and doing it till the mag is empty without any issues along the way....
    You've got pretty low standards, for a carry gun. Your "98.999999999%" equates to a failure every couple of boxes of ammo. Most decent semi-autos will meet that, and every revolver I've ever had will. I don't know of ANY make or model of gun that is "less then 68% reliable". Any gun that was that bad would be off the market in a heartbeat. Sure, there's a lemon of every flavor (Glock included) now & then, but I sure want better than 99% reliability. I get it with my Colts, Sigs, Kahrs, Rugers, Berettas, and even my cheap-ass Rossi, Taurus, Charter Arms, and EAA revolvers.

Regards,
    Jim

Senior Member Array High Altitude's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilowatt3 View Post
    You've got pretty low standards, for a carry gun. Your "98.999999999%" equates to a failure every couple of boxes of ammo. Most decent semi-autos will meet that, and every revolver I've ever had will. I don't know of ANY make or model of gun that is "less then 68% reliable". Any gun that was that bad would be off the market in a heartbeat. Sure, there's a lemon of every flavor (Glock included) now & then, but I sure want better than 99% reliability. I get it with my Colts, Sigs, Kahrs, Rugers, Berettas, and even my cheap-ass Rossi, Taurus, Charter Arms, and EAA revolvers.

Regards,
    Jim
    Yeah, glocks that have been through high round count testing average about 1-2 malfunctions/stoppages per 10,000 rounds fired.

M&Ps are probably no different.

I have really gone over my options on where to carry at work, and my only real options are back pocket, or ankle, so back pocket seems to be the choice
    Unless you're able to always wear cargo pants, it would seem as if it's going to be hard to find a 9mm that is well suited to rear pocket carry. My Kel-Tec PF9 is one of the smaller 9mm's. W/ most of my dress pants, I can, and do, comfortably carry it in a rear pocket holster (similar to the one on the "pocketholsters" website); OTOH, there's no way I can carry it the rear pocket of the same pants. According to the same above website, the Kahr CM9 fits snugly in common jeans.

If you could make front pocket carry work for you, you'd have a lot more options. As it is now, your options for 9mm are very limited unless you can always wear cargo pants.

not really interested in a DOA trigger
    Not sure if that's a typo for double action only trigger or a play on words, indicating that you don't want a gun w/ a bad (dead on arrival) trigger. The Kahr is a double action trigger. I've been pleased w/ the trigger on my Kahr CW45. Not as long as my PF9 trigger and also much lighter. Certainly not as light as the trigger on many striker guns, but very serviceable, nonetheless.

I would give the Diamondback DB9 a chance assuming it's a new serial #, been totally satisfied with my DB380 (love the nickel boron slide finish) and wouldn't trade it for any other pocket 380. Just give it 200 rounds to break in and keep the trigger bar clean, mine is 100% reliable now.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

I have a Beretta Nano with over 2000 plus rounds no probs ... great small 9mm... I dont always pocket carry it, I prefer an IWB "Crossbreed" style holster ... but great piece.

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    I would look at a Kahr, a Walther PPS, or a Glock 26. Though the Glock is tough for pocket carry. Perhaps a snubbie might be a better option for you?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links