sub 9mm

This is a discussion on sub 9mm within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Looking for a small 9mm, hopefully not too hard to handle, need something pocketable, but not really interested in a DOA trigger unless it's really ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: sub 9mm

sub 9mm

Looking for a small 9mm, hopefully not too hard to handle, need something pocketable, but not really interested in a DOA trigger unless it's really my only good option

Obvious options are Kahr PM9, Sig P290, and Kimber Solo, the solo being the only single action. I was really leaning towards the solo until I did a search that turned up a few comments about Kimber needing to "work the bugs out". Have they gotten better, or are people still having issues with these guns? How is the recoil?

2. Remove Ads

Recoil is very subjective, what is hard kicking to you may not be to me and visa versa.

I would be more focused on the size gun you want but makes sure it fits you. That goes along ways towards control and shoot ability.

If you can get to a range that allows you to try some guns that may be the best option.

The choices are numerous and what most us will offer is what we know works for us. that may or may not be what works for you.

With that said here we go.

CZ Mak Model 82 low cost steel gun that has a single or double action.

Kahr CW9 nice compact gun with great trigger good checkering on the grip for handling.

Ruger LCP

Rohrbaugh expensive but small.

PPM Walther nice compact.

Glocks they make some really great guns and some are very small and certainly reliable.

Kimber Solo shoot recommended ammo no issues.

Many many more.

Have fun looking and enjoy the process.
    Cook74 likes this.

I have an edc that i'm happy with, i'm looking for something pocketable for work and a possible bug elsewhere, I am specifically looking fo 9mm, don't trust .380 to stop someone, anything bigger in a pocket gun doesn't seem reasonable.

I have really gone over my options on where to carry at work, and my only real options are back pocket, or ankle, so back pocket seems to be the choice

Senior Member Array High Altitude's Avatar
    What ever you do, don't buy a diamondback DB9, absolute junk IMO.

Feel free to go to the diamondback forum and read up.

wasn't on my radar, if the solos aren't having problems, then i think that's what i'm going for, I saw the ammo they listed on their sight, but they said high pressure rounds like those, so I hope speer gold dot short barrel ammo works, since it's what I carry in my current gun, they're 124grn +p like suggested

You should look into the Beretta Nano. As far as pocketable 9's go, you'll be hard pressed to find one that fits the bill and not be hard to handle. The Nano's are built top heavy and solid to help with recoil. The problem is that they are SA only as is the Glock 26 which is my choice for EDC. The Ruger LC9 looks like it meets your criteria. Good luck!

The Sig P938 will be out soon.....

P938

PM9, or if you want to save some money, CM9.

Regards,
    Jim

Distinguished Member
    I love my beretta nano. It will fit in the back pocket of my cargo pants. It is too large for the backpockets of my khakis and jeans. I don't think I would feel comfortable carrying in a back pocket unless it had a flap that fastens to keep it secure. I usually cary mine in my front pocket, and it fits in all expect my old levis that have really small pockets.

The PM9 is nice. Depending upon how "sub" you want to go, the Walther PPS is a great shooter and very reliable. It also is very comfy IWB in a Crossbreed or similar holster. Pocket carry for me is a no go since it prints too much, but the PM9 works for me there with the right pants.

VIP Member
    The only thing I would consider more pocketable than the CM9 is the R9. In order of speed: front pocket snubbie with your hand already on it; AIWB; and OWB/IWB strong side. In order of accessibility sitting: AIWB; strong side; front pocket. The back pocket isn't best, but for a thin BUG auto, it can work. Front pocket autos are harder to get out than snubbies, and who wants to sit on a rear pocket cylinder?
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

I don't sit at work, back pocket in a wallet holster is what i'm going for, the sig 290, kahr pm/cm9, and the solo are the smallest 9's, and even they are quite large for a pocket, the nano and lc9 are larger, so I won't even try those

Distinguished Member
    Have you searched to see how many wallet holsters are available for the models you are considering? I haven't been able to find much except for the lcp.

try stoner holsters, or pocketholsters.com

Quote Originally Posted by cjacob316 View Post
    Looking for a small 9mm, hopefully not too hard to handle, need something pocketable, but not really interested in a DOA trigger unless it's really my only good option

Obvious options are Kahr PM9, Sig P290, and Kimber Solo, the solo being the only single action. I was really leaning towards the solo until I did a search that turned up a few comments about Kimber needing to "work the bugs out". Have they gotten better, or are people still having issues with these guns? How is the recoil?
    Sig p938. Single action. I don't think it's out yet.

Star Firestar. Single action. Quite heavy for its size. No longer made, but shouldn't be too hard to find.

KT PF9 and Ruger LC9. Single action-ish trigger with some precock.

Recoil is subjective. I can shoot my PF9 all day without complaining. Your mileage may vary.

Pocketability is subjective.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links