J-frame size

This is a discussion on J-frame size within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm lookin at a S&W 360 for pocket carry. What is the thickness of S&Ws J-frames at the cylinder? What is the thickness at the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: J-frame size

J-frame size

I'm lookin at a S&W 360 for pocket carry. What is the thickness of S&Ws J-frames at the cylinder? What is the thickness at the on the rest of the frame? How tall and long are the J-frames with Hogue style bantam grips?

2. Remove Ads

1943 - 2009
    The S&W web site will give you most of this information.

www.smith-wesson.com

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Measured my S&W 642

I happen to have a S&W 642 with 2-finger boot grips and an engineering ruler here, and just measured it. Here is what I got:

Cylinder - widest point - 1.25 inches
    Barrel width - 0.50 inches (tapers a bit towards muzzle)
    Grip width - 1.10 inches at widest spot (stock grips, came with gun)
    Total length - 6.20 inches
    Height - 4.38 inches

Administrator
    Good Lookin' Out For A Fellow Member pogo2 - Thanks!
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Yes, thank you Pogo. And S&W definatly doesn't give the thickness, at least no on the Airweights I was looking at.

Quote Originally Posted by '75scout View Post
    I'm lookin at a S&W 360 for pocket carry. What is the thickness of S&Ws J-frames at the cylinder? What is the thickness at the on the rest of the frame? How tall and long are the J-frames with Hogue style bantam grips?
    I carried a S&W 442 Airweight 5-shot 38SPL revolver for 10yrs in a Milt Sparks "Pocket Softy" holster. It hid very well. Yes, the revolver's cylinder has a bit of size to it, but the right holster can eliminate the "printing" you would otherwise get with, say, a heavily-boned holster. If doing IWB, it very nearly disappears, of course at the expense of a big of poking into the body (given the width). Still, it's one of the more concealable little guns. The rest of the gun is fairly slim. I had the standard boot grips that came with the gun, for general carry. I had a set of Pachmayr grips for range practice, but decided I didn't want to avoid practice with what I carried. Now, those were huge. But the standard grips are fine. Anything that goes beyond the base of the gun's metal frame will certainly add length. It's not a 5" gun to begin with, so length is an issue, in terms of concealability.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I was wondering if the J-frames are easily concealed. A friend of mine thats works at my range let me put 5 rounds through a 12oz S&W for free just so I could test it out. It was a little punishing and they were light 38 loads. But after putting 100 rounds at a time through my Kahr PM40 I don't think it would be too much of a leap.

The only reason I am looking for a new pocket gun is because I have recently started to dislike polymer framed guns. Not that they are bad, its just a new personal preference. So that leaves out Kahr, Kel-Tec, and Glock. And what I have left is J-frames, Seecamps, NAA Guardians, and the Rohrbaugh which is currently out of my price range but what I will hopefully end up with. I also like the Sig 232s and a Colt Mustang.

You could potentially check out the S&W Model 37 with a bobless hammer. It might be a tiny bit smaller than the 642 if you're going for pocket carry.

EDIT: Linking in a pic of the old lady's. I couldn't find one with a bobless hammer doing searches on the net, so figured you could better see what I'm talking about this way.

http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/7209/38picpy7.jpg
    Last edited by SammyIamToday; August 29th, 2006 at 11:45 PM. Reason: linkage of picture

I pocket carry a 642 in a cheapy Uncle Mike's holster. It nearly disappears in any pants that have some give in the pocket area. It will stand out in the pocket of tighter jeans, though. I think it has great concealability at the expense of the number of rounds (5) and smallish grip.

I'm actually eyeing the 360PD. I'd also like the Airweight 32 magnum, but that has been discontinued.

I'm partial to the North American Arms Guardians. I've had several and they run great. I choose them over snubbys for pocket carry, smaller and slimmer yet still a decent caliber. Also don't forget the all steel Kahrs like the MK9.

I like the NAAs and the steel Kahrs, but I think the MK series might be a tad heavy for pocket carry. I am trying too keep the weight under 15oz unloaded.

Administrator

The grips that you eventually select for your own personal J Frame will go a long way toward taming any recoil sting that you might encounter with stiffer loads and they will allow you to more easily shoot the hotter defensive ammo.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

By that you mean longer grips that allow for a full grip. I might get some Crimson Trace gips or the longer hogue grips. I would imagine that would help a great deal.

I carry a stock 637 as my summer choice. Goes in pockets, waistband, Maxpedition pouch along with 2 speedloaders. Love it.

Gary
    Semper Fi

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links