To pinky or not to pinky?

This is a discussion on To pinky or not to pinky? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey folks, I have a baby Glock. My second in my years of carrying. I have noticed an odd thing. I tend to shoot better ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To pinky or not to pinky?

To pinky or not to pinky?

Hey folks, I have a baby Glock. My second in my years of carrying. I have noticed an odd thing. I tend to shoot better without the finger extension on the magazine and my pinky under it. Has anybody had this occurNce too? Let me hear you. Do you shoot better with your pinky wrapped around the extension or hanging free under the magazine?

I like the feel of the extension, but I like the flat base plate due to the ease of concealment. I just love the pudgy little baby Glocks, there are almost cute...LMAO!

2. Remove Ads

I shoot better without the pinky also. Probably due to gripping the gun better with the other fingers and keeping it lined up better because of it.

Strangely enough, I typically shoot better one handed also (slow fire anyway).

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    just the mention of the "pinkie tuck" itself could start a whole debate. I know a couple of old time instructors that stress their opinion to never, ever wrap your pinkie under the baseplate due to the possibility of a magazine blowout. One of these fellows saw the unusual event firsthand in one of his leo training classes. Personally, with my short chunky fingers, my pinkie has little to no use on most of the grips on my firearms ... it just goes along for the ride. All of my handguns are single stack or small grip revos, and my pinkie still ends up tucked. On a few compact/sub-compact semi-autos I've owned, I still prefer the pinkie rest to spread my two fingered grip out with the ring finger getting leverage on the pinkie extenstion. But for easier concealed carry I usually opt for the flat baseplate (and a pinkie tuck).

surv

p.s...... in honor of the avatar used by kmagnuss above..... GO RANGERS

Just got a G26 and I bought a +1 extension and took it off already. The extension pinches my pinky finger even though I filed off the hump it still pinched.

Do a test and ask someone to pull the gun out of your hand. You will find that the pinky does little or nothing for grip

I saw a pinky finger get broken due to a tucked pinky and a blow out, but that was also due to a KaBoom, I don't know the exact cause of the KaBoom but I do know he was shooting reloads, and was complaining of lack of consistent performance. I suspect he had poor quality control, and loaded a very weak load, or only primer and bullet. It acted like he had one stuck in the tube and pulled the trigger again and a good round. When I looked at the gun parts laying around the grip was solid, the slide was separated from the frame, and the mag was blown out from under the grip. I wish I knew what kind of gun it was, the guy left the range quickly, and the safety officer took all the parts before I could get a close enough look. I am not good enough to recognize every handgun at glance. (It was NOT a glock).
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

If you watch any gun review videos on YouTube and search for hickock45, you'll see he shoots with pinky free and dislikes the magazine extensions too.

Edited to correct hicock45's name.
    Last edited by stancehold; March 18th, 2012 at 12:38 AM.

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stancehold View Post
    If you watch any gun review videos on YouTube and search for hancock45, you'll see he shoots with pinky free and dislikes the magazine extensions too.
    Hickok 45
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

Try a GAP mag floorplate. I have them on the mags for my G26. They give you a firm two-fingered grip, but add no length to the mag.

A B O U T
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by stancehold View Post
    If you watch any gun review videos on YouTube and search for hancock45, you'll see he shoots with pinky free and dislikes the magazine extensions too.
    He stands 6 feet 7inches tall, IIRC, and has correspondingly large hands.

I got very good at shooting with the pinky extension until Dec 1 of 2011 when a nice little accident to off most of my right hand pinky. Spent a lot of time getting extensions put on all my mags for my walther p99 c and my ppk now i had to take them off. It is all good i have gotton back to shooting as well as before. So no pinky extensions for me.

Quote Originally Posted by kmagnuss View Post
    I shoot better without the pinky also. Probably due to gripping the gun better with the other fingers and keeping it lined up better because of it.
    yep same here, shoot my g26 with flush mags better than I can shoot my g19.

Quote Originally Posted by marcclarke View Post
    He stands 6 feet 7inches tall, IIRC, and has correspondingly large hands.
    I meant hickock45, actually! Shoot, I'm getting old!

Actually, he's 6' 8" tall and can palm a basketball with no problem. He says even when he has the option of making grips long enough with extensions to fit his hands, he just prefers to be pinky free.

I have a family member about a foot shorter that prefers to do the same.

I'm a pinky mag guy myself.

I have a better purchase on my M&Pc in a CBST.

Accuracy I haven't noticed much of a difference to be honest.

The only issue I've ever had due to a "pinky extension" was slamming a Wilson Combat mag home with my pinky...

well you can see...

“Put your pain in a box. Lock it down. No man is stronger than one who can harness his emotions.” -Act of Valor

I prefer using the pinky extension on my G26. That being said, with or without, my shooting is pretty much the same. It mostly comes down to how easily I can conceal the gun due to my wardrobe that day. As a side note, I don't really notice much accuracy difference between the 26 and my 17.
    Question Everything!

Its funny a lot of you meantioned hickock45, I have seen his videos and remember him saying he didn't like the extensions either. Be's a really cool cat. I would love to meet the guy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links