Searching for my first handgun...CC focus.

This is a discussion on Searching for my first handgun...CC focus. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by NMB Go to a gunstore and hold a Glock, Springfield XD, and a Smith and Wesson MP. All three are in your ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Searching for my first handgun...CC focus.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NMB View Post
    Go to a gunstore and hold a Glock, Springfield XD, and a Smith and Wesson MP. All three are in your price range, and are reliable. Try and find somewhere to rent them, shoot them all and buy the one you shoot the best.
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    First off, welcome! Lots of good info to be had here, and lots of good people.

The standard advice to someone starting out with handgunning, especially with defensive use in mind, is to try a number of guns before you buy. Go to different gun stores and ranges, leave the checkbook and credit cards behind, and handle the hardware. Once you narrow down your choices, then try to find a range that has one you can rent, or a friend who'll let you shoot his.

Your price range is adequate, but I'd like to steer you away from a subcompact gun if possible. Snubbies or small autos, it doesn't matter - they are difficult to shoot well, even for experienced pistoleros. That's not a show-stopper, just something to consider... a mid-sized gun (e.g., Glock 19) allows you to get a full grip on it, and the greater length and weight compared to the subcompacts helps keep recoil under control.

Caliber? I'm a .45 fan since that's where I started out, but my advice for new handgunners is a 9mm. The variety of ammo today is impressive and there are plenty of good defensive rounds available. Cost is about the lowest of all common centerfire defensive calibers, and recoil is also at the low end of the scale. Since where the bullet strikes (shot placement) is more critical than the diameter of the hole it makes, 9mm makes more sense from the point of getting you, the shooter, competent faster then if you start off with a bigger boomer. Again, no absolutes here, just guidance based on experience and a dose of opinion.

I would keep used guns in mind for your first purchase. Lots of good guns which are either safe queens or carried more than shot end up in dealers' the used gun cases. You might find a gently-used Glock, XD or M&P that fits your hand and your budget, leaving you with spare change for ammo and a good holster.

And keep asking good questions!

^^^^^^^^^^^^

I could pipe up right now, but I'd sound like these two!!

BTW,, I own a S&W M&P9c, 9 others(friends & family) have them(M&P) as well in some variant/cal.

You could get a .40 compact, get a .357Sig barrel, and some FS mags for HD.
    AND you can get a 9mm barrel, and some 9mm mags and run the same gun.

Go to the range that rents , and shoot what your friends and family do not have, then buy.
    Last edited by oneshot; March 18th, 2012 at 02:45 PM.
    MotorCityGun likes this.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    Just throwing my 2 worth. I just bought (last Saturday) a Smith & Wesson M & P .45 and I just got to shoot it today. Oh, it is sweet and accurate as can be. I love it and even thought it is a fairly large gun, it is going to replace my Kel-Tec PF9 as my EDC when I get my permit. Just need to get my Remora holster for it now so I have it when the permit shows up (should be soon).
    EDC - M&P Shield .40, Ruger P90, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

Also consider the Walther PPS. It's flatter than Glocks and has the same basic safety. Very accurate and reliable. I have two and had one of them for years shooting quite often.

IMO... Get a Glock. *As long as you are already very proficient with handguns*... Maybe it's just me but "safe action" seems like a twisted joke ;) Be aware that most are double stack and the grip is like holding a rolling pin compared to some other handguns... heh.. I personally do not, and will not own a glock. I just don't like them. But they work great for a lot of shooters. Caliber- not a fan of 9mm... .357sig is awesome but you'll regret it. 40 Short and Weak is the way to go. I'm just obligated to hate. 45GAP over engineered, 45ACP get a 1911!! :D
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined." -Obligatory Founding Father Quote

Welcome, John!

Well, except for one passing mention of a .38 snub, it seems no one has offered the suggestion of a revolver.

Opinions are worth, well, what they're worth, but I STRONGLY believe a first handgun should be a revolver. Learn basic handgun skills and good habits, before you take on the added complexity of SA/DA, striker vs. hammer, manual/grip/trigger safeties, etc. Not too many on the forum seem to agree with me, but my first handgun (37 years ago) was a semi-auto, and that was a mistake. Fortunately, it was a crappy little gun, and I traded it in for a Security Six after only a few months. I'm a pretty hard-core semi-auto guy NOW, but the revolver was the way to go at the start.

I would suggest a 3" SP-101. Concealable, reliable, manageable, powerful, simple. It's also built like a tank, and will outlive your grandchildren. Get proficient and comfortable with a good wheelgun, then see which semi-auto turns you on.

FWIW

Regards,
    Jim

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    Another option is to take a class with an instructor at a range with a rental counter. This not only builds basic safety and gun handling skills, but also gives you hands on experience with different firearms. The instructor can show you advantages and disadvantages of various platforms and incorporate concealed carry into the lesson.

I would also suggest for a first and possibly only handgun, one that allows for a full combat grip. You will be training/practicing with this gun and it's easier to learn fundamentals on a full sized or compact gun than a sub-compact or micro.

Welcome to the forum and let us know what you decide, good luck.

Welcome to the forum! Might I suggest you look into the Beretta PX 4 Storm Sub-Compact 9mm. It has DA/SA action, is hammer-fired, is concealable, can be had for $479 =/-. The only negative for you would be the external safety.

VIP Member
    Welcome to the forum. As for advice, I think gasmitty pretty much nailed it on that.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I have a walther p99c AS, one of the best guns I've ever shot, and most accurate

AS trigger is pretty nice, light, and has a .1 inch reset, also can be decocked and used as DA on the first shot

Welcome...

from Central Florida!

Based on all input, and your expectations, the Glock-19 would appear to be your best bet.
    You have to be the one to make that final decision...go handle a 'bunch a guns'...one will start calling out your name.

ret
    oneshot likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by matthew03 View Post
    Another option is to take a class with an instructor at a range with a rental counter. This not only builds basic safety and gun handling skills, but also gives you hands on experience with different firearms. The instructor can show you advantages and disadvantages of various platforms and incorporate concealed carry into the lesson.

I would also suggest for a first and possibly only handgun, one that allows for a full combat grip. You will be training/practicing with this gun and it's easier to learn fundamentals on a full sized or compact gun than a sub-compact or micro.

Welcome to the forum and let us know what you decide, good luck.
    Best advice given here!!!
    I also would recommend doing exactly that!

Quote Originally Posted by rambosky View Post
    Also consider the Walther PPS. It's flatter than Glocks and has the same basic safety. Very accurate and reliable. I have two and had one of them for years shooting quite often.
    What he said!

The PPS has a nice trigger, with a short reset as well, and is quite slim for carry, while not being punishing for a few hundred rounds at the range...

How about saving some cash and grabbing a CZ-82? I wish I had gone this route for my first pistol, instead of getting a bunch of guns that didn't work out for CCW (reliability, too large, etc.)

Classic Arms http://www.classicarms.us has them with accessories for $219.

They fit all of your stated criteria easily, and have a great SA/DA trigger. Easy to shoot, VERY easy to field strip, chrome-lined barrel, good capacity.

CZ-82-PKG.jpg

*Just so you know that I practice what I preach, I will be ordering one tomorrow. Other than that, I recommend a Glock. I have, carry, and love a 3rd Generation G19.

My personal first choice based on your criteria would be the S&W9c or 40c (would get a 357 sig barrel as well if I got the 40).

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

Well I went to the gun store today an checked out a few guns...XD9c, Glock 19 & 26, S&W9c...loved the Glock 19...I felt the 26 was much too short in the grip area.
    Lubed it up and shot 100 rounds through it at the range I have at my house...flawless.

imgur: the simple image sharer

From what I can tell, it's a Gen 3 which is fine by me since I have read about Gen 4s having problems.
    One thing that sucks though is it came with 2 10 round mags...gonna have to buy some 15 round ones....any suggestions on a good online store to buy glock stuff?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links