Searching for my first handgun...CC focus.

This is a discussion on Searching for my first handgun...CC focus. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; New user here. Been stalking the forum for awhile, and I've finally decided to join. I've decided to get my carry permit soon so I ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Searching for my first handgun...CC focus.

New user here. Been stalking the forum for awhile, and I've finally decided to join. I've decided to get my carry permit soon so I have been doing a lot of research on handguns for the past few weeks. I'm familiar with shotguns, as Ihave shot them my whole life hunting, but I am new to the handgun area. I have family members with a few handguns, and I have shot theirs to get accustomed to them so I can use the info to find a gun for myself.

Things I have narrowed down that I would like:

-Around 400-500 dollars.
    -Needs to be good for conceal carry, but stand up to normal range use(I have a homemade range at my house so I will probably be shooting often.
    -DA/SA hammer or a striker fire with short reset, I want the follow up shots to be able to get off quick.
    -I want the first long trigger pull to act as the safety; I don't want external safeties I have to mess with.
    -I'm not totally set on caliber, but I would like an affordable one, maybe 9mm or .40sw.
    -Needs to be reliable for carry/self defense.
    Can't think of anymore at the moment.

So far I have been drawn towards the new Bersa Bp9cc and the Bersa 9mm/40 UC.
    I have also been looking at the Glock 26 and 27. The 27 appeals to me because of the ability to change out the barrels and switch to 9mm or .357sig.

Any suggestions or advice is welcome.

Welcome...welcome. Sounds like you perfectly described a Glock to me. I have the 27, its a great little gun for CC. Pop in a 14 round G22 mag for home defense and your good to go.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

The M&P9c would meet your criteria.
    accessbob, Kadelic and Katana like this.

I am not a fan of Glocks for the ergonomics but I would be a huge supporter if I liked em. I prefer the Springfield XD series as they are comparable. Actually the reason I bought the XD. I would suggest a compact full size if that makes sense. Not a LCP or LC9 or Kahr type gun more of a compact glocl or XD style. The kahr seems to be sort of middle of the road but as it will be CC but multi purpose that is the road I would suggest. I would also suggest looking at the Smith and Wesson M&P series. My next CC will be that or a 1911. Good luck and let us know what you decide on and make sure you upload pics!
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

I like the Kimber Solo or the Kahr PM9 myself.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Let me get in here first and suggest going to a range that rents guns and try a few.

For concealed carry I prefer striker fired pistols. In your price range you should have plenty of options. I would research how much each weighs fully loaded. You will be having to carry it around and I personally, like a lighter pistol. You can't go wrong with a Glock. I also like Kahr. I carry pistols with no external safeties and prefer the compact size. I currently carry a Glock 19 and/or 23. It seems to be the perfect size, weight and capacity.

First off, welcome! Lots of good info to be had here, and lots of good people.

The standard advice to someone starting out with handgunning, especially with defensive use in mind, is to try a number of guns before you buy. Go to different gun stores and ranges, leave the checkbook and credit cards behind, and handle the hardware. Once you narrow down your choices, then try to find a range that has one you can rent, or a friend who'll let you shoot his.

Your price range is adequate, but I'd like to steer you away from a subcompact gun if possible. Snubbies or small autos, it doesn't matter - they are difficult to shoot well, even for experienced pistoleros. That's not a show-stopper, just something to consider... a mid-sized gun (e.g., Glock 19) allows you to get a full grip on it, and the greater length and weight compared to the subcompacts helps keep recoil under control.

Caliber? I'm a .45 fan since that's where I started out, but my advice for new handgunners is a 9mm. The variety of ammo today is impressive and there are plenty of good defensive rounds available. Cost is about the lowest of all common centerfire defensive calibers, and recoil is also at the low end of the scale. Since where the bullet strikes (shot placement) is more critical than the diameter of the hole it makes, 9mm makes more sense from the point of getting you, the shooter, competent faster then if you start off with a bigger boomer. Again, no absolutes here, just guidance based on experience and a dose of opinion.

I would keep used guns in mind for your first purchase. Lots of good guns which are either safe queens or carried more than shot end up in dealers' the used gun cases. You might find a gently-used Glock, XD or M&P that fits your hand and your budget, leaving you with spare change for ammo and a good holster.

And keep asking good questions!
    archer51 likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

NMB
    Go to a gunstore and hold a Glock, Springfield XD, and a Smith and Wesson MP. All three are in your price range, and are reliable. Try and find somewhere to rent them, shoot them all and buy the one you shoot the best.
    NRA Member
    Certified Kitchen Gunsmith

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive."
    - C.S. Lewis

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    If you really want a long double action first shot followed by a short single action, you will NOT find it in any of the guns mentioned. I know of no striker fired guns with that ability.

A Sig 239 would give you all the qualities you're looking for: no add on safeties etc. + DA/SA also. The down side is that the gun costs about $650, or if you can find a CPO $550. Summit Gunbroker has some used German Sig 226 for $450 Firearms, Guns, Rifles. Grain Valley, Missouri.

You could look at a Sig 250 Subcompact (around $400 new) which is a very light double action only. I have one in 40 cal and one in 9mm. I carry the 40.

Good Luck

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

I'd look at the Gen 3 Glock 19. I got mine for Christmas, and I absolutely love it. I think my parents paid right around $500 for it.

When I was shopping around to decide what handgun I wanted, I noticed a few Glock 17 and 19 police trade-ins in the Used counter. There were holster marks on all of them, but they probably had low round counts and were $100 off of what the new ones cost.

The Sig P239 is a tad above your price range, but has all of the features you describe, and is a very well thought of CC weapon. High quality and uber reliable. Mine is .357 Sig, but in 9mm its butter,,,

id buy a used sig before any glock just my opinion-----pretty sure plaxico burress would also agree-----i carry a sig p225 or a S&W 38 special snub

Senior Member Array Kimberpackn's Avatar
    Welcome from Tennessee...I see my brethren here have beat me to the punch and suggested you visit a range and try several makes and calibers prior to purchasing.
    We should not forget that the spark which ignited the American Revolution was caused by the British attempt to confiscate the firearms of the colonists. -

Patrick Henry

Glock 27 here and absolutely love it. But try some out and see what gots YOU best because what's best for me may not be best for you.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links