The bump in the Night.

This is a discussion on The bump in the Night. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I had a interesting experience the other night. I was awakened by a loud thump and then silence. I had my .380 Bodyguard in a ...

Thread: The bump in the Night.

The bump in the Night.

I had a interesting experience the other night. I was awakened by a loud thump and then silence. I had my .380 Bodyguard in a holster between the box spring and mattress, grabbed it and the square beam flashlight and went to investigate. Long story short I found nothing and I believe it was a neighbor going to work early and it was the door slam of his car I heard. What was the interesting part of the whole experience was my complete awkwardness of how I handled the search of my own home. When I got back in bed and reviewed what had just happened I realized how wrong I had gone about the search and defense of my home. When I think about the times I did the "What If" dry run of my home it surprised and in hind sight scared me how I fell apart. I ran through the previous nights search the next day and learned how dead I could have been if an armed person had been in my home. I wanted to post this so more of us can think through any thing that can go wrong in the real world as I was sorry to realize I had not.
    Be safe all and think it through, Frank.

2. Remove Ads

It isn't just thinking it through, its called PRACTICE. When you drill, drill, drill and then drill some more, when your half asleep it will come more naturally. Kind of like hitting the snooze button. When you get a new alarm clock, you have to think how to make it snooze the first couple time it goes off. After a month or so, you just hit it automatically.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

Thanks for keeping us informed and thinking. Glad everything worked out for you.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    yep, practice. When you can go through the motions in your sleep then you are ready for the bump in the night. I'm not ready yet.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    A good dog could take care of a lot of that for you. Threat identification, house search, deterrent noises, multiple edged weapons delivery, etc. A breed with decent protective instincts will do this naturally without training, YMMV.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Yes, That kind of response does not come automatically and has to be planned for and practiced.

On a similar note, One night I was home alone, My Wife was out of town. I was rolled back in my recliner watching TV.
    My back was to the dining room and a sliding glass door leading to a second floor deck.
    All of a sudden a Big Thump came from the deck, I don't know how my old body moved so fast but in one motion I rolled out of the recliner, pulled my laser gripped .38spl from my pocket, cut through the kitchen and had the gun up as I peeked around the corner to the deck.

A big possum had knocked over a big ceramic bird seed holder. It scared me to death.

When my heart beat got back to normal I was proud I had reacted quickly and made the right moves.

^^^ paramedic70002 ^^^

Made a good suggestion. Even little yappy dogs are a good first defense. Big dogs make you feel more secure but that little fur ball yapping its head off will wake you up at the slightest noise it hears and then you can go see what its fuss is about. It might be nothing but at least it will wake you up, you can get a drink, hit the john, and go back to sleep knowing it will let you know if something an't right.

Besides BG's don't like attention and that little yapper will scare them off more often then not where as a big dog might not bark till they enter your home. Then most likely attack.

Thanks people for all the response. The dog would be nice but we travel a lot so that would be tough on the little guy.
    I have been going through that night and making corrections as I learn. For one thing I have replaced the .380 Bodyguard with my
    S&W 686. I also have a mini-mag light near by. Will not be fooled again.
    Frank.

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by helderberg View Post
    Thanks people for all the response. The dog would be nice but we travel a lot so that would be tough on the little guy.
    I have been going through that night and making corrections as I learn. For one thing I have replaced the .380 Bodyguard with my
    S&W 686
    . I also have a mini-mag light near by. Will not be fooled again.
    Frank.
    I like that move right there.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

If someone makes noises in my house at night, they were either there when we locked up or they got beamed in by Scotty.

Even if you can't afford a full-blown alarm system, there are very cheap/effective ways to insure you know when someone is entering/exiting your home. When we were young and poor, we used a couple motion sensor chimes near doors and windows. Even those cheap things can entirely change the dynamics of an in your home encounter, taking you from a "there's a noise in the hallway" to a "there's a chime by the backdoor" scenario.

Links