Sig Sauer 1911 .45 Magazine Problems

This is a discussion on Sig Sauer 1911 .45 Magazine Problems within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just purchased a Sig Sauer 1911 .45 and went immediately to the range. I started experiencing issues with the magazine not holding the slide ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Sig Sauer 1911 .45 Magazine Problems

Sig Sauer 1911 .45 Magazine Problems

I just purchased a Sig Sauer 1911 .45 and went immediately to the range. I started experiencing issues with the magazine not holding the slide open after the final round had been fired. Does anyone have any suggestions or experience with this?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sutton8565 View Post
    I just purchased a Sig Sauer 1911 .45 and went immediately to the range. I started experiencing issues with the magazine not holding the slide open after the final round had been fired. Does anyone have any suggestions or experience with this?
    Are you new to the 1911 platform?

While a defective mag is possible New 1911 shooters often "ride" the slide release, causing this to happen.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Could be the follower isn't engaging the slide release,Manufacturers ship the cheapest magazines they can with their guns,I carry "Wilson Combat 47D" magazines,I paid around $32.00 each,I use cheap magazines at the range,Magazines that just say "Colt" with no trademark are made in China,and are cheap junk,I loaded one at the range one time and it apparenrtly had caused the feed lips over time to spread,as I put the 7th round in I watched 7 rounds of 45acp a follower and spring launch into the stratosphere,I recovered my ammo and threw the $7.00 magazine in the trash can
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    First off, welcome to the forum.

The first thing I would do, is make sure it is not a shooter induced problem. AS AK said, if you let your finger ride the slide, you can inadvertently keep the slide release from engaging.

As dukalmighty already said, most manufacturers use the cheapest magazines they can.My magazines for carry with my 1911 are Chip McCormick Power Mags.

Chip McCormick Power Mags™
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I'll second Wilson Combat 47d mags.

Also... many times if they slide isn't staying back on the final shot it could be due to a weak mag spring. They're about $5 for 3 from most major online stores.

Not Operator Issue

Thanks for the feedback. I have been a .45 shooter all of my life, so I am confident in saying that this is not shooter induced. The magazines are the new ones that came with the Sig. I guess I'll try different magazines as some of you have suggested. It just seems a shame that Sig would have supplied mags that are not up to par. It's not like they're giving their guns away.

If it's a new gun send it back... they'll set you straight.

PS the sig mags that came with my RCS have been great.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    if you have other 1911's or not, examine the slide stop for correct dimensions--esp the area that engages the mag follower.
    try othe mags that you know work in other 1911's. don't know till you try. and look and feeel the inside of the grip area for
    any burrs or a ill shaped cutout

my kimber in 1998 went through 4 mags for each one i kept. been flawless ever since
    which model? if its 3" and you are use to 5" than it may be another form of operator error;
    very light guns often have quirks.

all mags from Sig that i have received have been excellent. but like stocks---
    past results is not a guarantee for future performance
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Thanks for the feedback

Thanks to all of you for the feedback. By the way, the Sig is a 5", which is the same as my Colt Gold Cup. I'm going to take the gun back to see what they have to say about it. Hopefully I can get some resolution from the dealer. Again, thanks to everyone.

Follow Up to Mag Issue

I contacted Sig and got an RMA to return the mags to them. In the meantime, I ordered 3 Wilson Combat mags and will also try the Chip McCormick mags as well. Once again, thanks to all of you for your feedback.

New Sig as well with the same issue

i am brand new to this forum and i have a brand new sig full size that i just purchased. i took it to the range today and experienced the same problem with the sig magazines. i have two sig mags that came with the gun and two chip mcCormick mags and the two that i have from springfield armory for my mil spec springfield. the slide on the sig failed to stay locked open probably half the time with the two sig mags and only twice with the other four mags. my springfield locked open every time with every magazine. is it still the magazines then? the sig mags worked perfectly in the springfield. i will be curious to know if your new magazines fix the problem.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    try the slide stop frm a 1911 that yyou know works: not with ammo,
    ----just insert it and try the mag by pulling the slide back to lock.
    does it?

and hand ease it back foward.

rather sounds like the part of the slide stop is not engaging the mag properly ( on the inside of the reciever)
    tolerance stacking working against you; it can happen.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

I have a SIG 1911 that did the exact same thing. I swapped slide stops between that and a Springfield GI that had never given me any trouble. Suddenly the SIG locked back and the Springfield didn't. A $10 slide stop from Ebay fixed the problem.
    stillhere67 and dukalmighty like this.

mkh
    I have a new Sig Ultra and the factory mags as well as the Wilson Combat mags work great. The Chip McCormick mag has one or two failures to feed per mag. Your mileage may differ and I may have got a defective mag but that is my experience.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links