What would you? CT laser sights or no? - Page 3

What would you? CT laser sights or no?

This is a discussion on What would you? CT laser sights or no? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; 10thmtn, you and have always seen this issue a little different, and that's OK. I respect your opinion. I also have no doubt that the ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: What would you? CT laser sights or no?

10thmtn, you and have always seen this issue a little different, and that's OK. I respect your opinion. I also have no doubt that the folks at CT are honest, hard working folks. Capitalism is the great benefit of our system.

I'm also not against lasers, as to say, they have no value, because that would make me stupid.

My concern is that many folks do not understand laser sights, and recieve no correct training in the use of the device, and will in all probability, develop bad habits that can hurt them.
    It's human nature. And you know what I mean. How many people buy their first handgun, and think that because they can hit " somewhere" on a B27 target that they are ready for the OK Corral. Or even base their level of preparedness on the brand and caliber of gun they carry? Or base their choice on because " so and so" said this is what we need.

Look at the stupid " tactical" explosion, where everything is now tactical. And hell, if you have the money, you can even be an " operator", complete with the right clothes, sunglasses, and footwear.

I can remember when the only "tactical knife" was a Case or Schrade Walden carried in your pocket. But be damned if someone didn't say that you had to have " this type" of " tactical folder", and now every gunslinger and his brother has one. They are no more useful than my old lock blade Case, but they darned are more fashionable.

You see where I'm going here? I just want to see people thinking for themselves, about their real need and situation. To do that, I feel it's important that they be given all the pros and cons. I think in the long run it makes us all stronger.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

You got one hearty "AMEN" from the audience on the thoughts posted above, Gman.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Gman - No problem here either, bro. Just amicable discussion.

I agree with your points. Which is why I linked to the info I did. Lots of good stuff there on proper training with a laser.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

The problem that I see with the posted examples is that it kinda leads ignorant people to think that the laser will save the day. Kind of like the fabled sound of a pump shotgun.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S II using Tapatalk
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    The problem that I see with the posted examples is that it kinda leads ignorant people to think that the laser will save the day. Kind of like the fabled sound of a pump shotgun.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S II using Tapatalk
    Any examples of those misled people?
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    Good point about the laser substituting for acquired skills in some folks' minds.

And that hoary old saw about the fearsome effectiveness of pumping a shotgun became worn out long ago.

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Any examples of those misled people?
    Yeah, like the dude who showed me the first laser-equipped pistol I'd ever seen by claiming he could accurately shoot the pistol from beneath his right leg which he was holding up while holding the pistol down beneath it. Of course this was in his house and not on the range but the moment was not lost on me that we were having "visions of grandeur" about lasers' capabilities.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Yeah, like the dude who showed me the first laser-equipped pistol I'd ever seen by claiming he could accurately shoot the pistol from beneath his right leg which he was holding up while holding the pistol down beneath it. Of course this was in his house and not on the range but the moment was not lost on me that we were having "visions of grandeur" about lasers' capabilities.
    Maybe he could.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

No. Someone else might could but its doubtful that he could have. He'd only just gotten into shooting at all and had owned this handgun and laser for mere weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by xXxplosive View Post
    Have the CTL on my Combat Commander............can turn them off via the switch provided.
    If I'm carring in low light conditions, I switch them on.....nice to have if needed.
    This would be my thoughts on the subject...
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

I use a CTL laser on my LCR and a Big dot XS night sight. I have limited vision and can hardly see the front sight now and a laser has made all the difference for accuracy.
    Mike1956 likes this.
    Laus Deo

Those who are willing to trade freedom for security will have neither.
    You alone are responsible for your defense.

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    I have CT on all of my carry weapons. I practice mostly with my iron sights. I thought long and hard about the CT grips ($$ are tight). For me, the deciding factor was a study that I read on-line from a LARGE LE department (don't remember which one) that credited numerous instances of the red-dot on COM being a consistent de-escalator for that Dept. I figure that if I can use it to de-escalate a situation where I am ready/prepared to fire then I'd much rather spend $325 on the laser than $32,500.00 on attorney fees........
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

If lasers work for you and get TRAINING with them, great. I just hope people don't get the false sense of security thinking they don't need training because the laser will magically make you place rounds on target. A lot of people buy CT lasers and believe the advertising hype and think that it's easy to be accurate with them. I've tested them (perhaps not extensively as some) and realized pretty quickly that it takes training to be good with them.
    Bob Mayne
    HandgunWorld Podcast
    www.handgunworld.com
    Suarez International Instructor

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links