What would you? CT laser sights or no?

This is a discussion on What would you? CT laser sights or no? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Both my Kimbers came with crimson trace laser sights in the grip. I have the Ultra Covert II and the Crimson pro carry II. I ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: What would you? CT laser sights or no?

Senior Member Array Kimberpackn's Avatar

Both my Kimbers came with crimson trace laser sights in the grip. I have the Ultra Covert II and the Crimson pro carry II. I added night sights to my CPCII and I just don't ever use the laser sights. While I will most likely not change the Covert I am toying with new grips for my CPCII. What would you do?
    We should not forget that the spark which ignited the American Revolution was caused by the British attempt to confiscate the firearms of the colonists. -

Patrick Henry

If you don't use the sights, sell them.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Have the CTL on my Combat Commander............can turn them off via the switch provided.
    If I'm carring in low light conditions, I switch them on.....nice to have if needed.

Low light you'll wish you had them. The hardest shots yuou ever make are in low light or dark The laser is at it's best then

Seems like to me like most people spend more time looking for the dot on the target than needed... I'd sell them.
    accessbob likes this.

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Foo909 View Post
    Seems like to me like most people spend more time looking for the dot on the target than needed.
    Not sure what you mean by the qualitative statement "most people spend more time...", but like anything else, if you're properly trained on how to use a "tool" and you're willing to practice with said "tool", you will become proficient in/with its use. Just ask any SWAT team member who uses them.
    “They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.” - Ben Franklin

NRA Life

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    I am not a fan of lasers however since they are already on there, they are not eating anything and you are not hard up for money, I would leave them alone. You can always dry-fire practice and see how much your hand moves or if you jerk one way or the other when firing... Now if the grips on the CPCII feel odd, are not comfortable or there is some other reason you want to change them, by all means do so. Otherwise, let it ride.

Remember, I can only reply as to what I would do - not necessarly what you should do. Regards!
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

My observation has been that a great many people who don't like lasers are unhappy with seeing just how shaky their hands really are

Just kidding!

VIP Member
    It is hard to beat a laser for demonstrating and diagnosing problems with grip, breathing, trigger and follow-through.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Senior Member Array Kimberpackn's Avatar
    Good input one and all. Thank you.
    We should not forget that the spark which ignited the American Revolution was caused by the British attempt to confiscate the firearms of the colonists. -

Patrick Henry

Lasers are fantastic for practicing, especially for dry fire practice. It's questionable how useful they are in a reactive gunfight. I've talked to 2 people who have been in numerous gunfights that both said that the lasers were too slow. CT lasers specifically. Others swear by them. My suggestion is to take a Force on Force class or a Point Shooting class or shoot a low light IDPA match with them. That will tell you more than any opinion on this forum. See how you shoot with the laser. I would start with a low light IDPA match, then take a Force on Force class. The FoF is good to know anyway. In addition, you will come as close to reality as you can with your CT laser and see if it works for you.
    Bob Mayne
    HandgunWorld Podcast
    www.handgunworld.com
    Suarez International Instructor

From what Ive seen at the local indoor range, its not helping folks too much. I think the problem is people for go the basic fundamentals of pistol craft, and think that the investment in technology will compensate for it. I see a wide spread use of laser sights and an abysmal decline in shot groups.
    Old School likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by MotorCityGun View Post
    Not sure what you mean by the qualitative statement "most people spend more time...", but like anything else, if you're properly trained on how to use a "tool" and you're willing to practice with said "tool", you will become proficient in/with its use. Just ask any SWAT team member who uses them.
    It's a fact that it takes more time to see the dot on the target, recognize that, and fire versus just using your sights for MOST people. I'm figuring almost no one here trains enough to make that
    a wrong statement. We aren't seal team six spec ops tactical mall ninja swat officers and we don't train every other day.

VIP Member
    It's a fact that it takes more time to see the dot on the target, recognize that, and fire versus just using your sights for MOST people. I'm figuring almost no one here trains enough to make that
    a wrong statement. We aren't seal team six spec ops tactical mall ninja swat officers and we don't train every other day.
    I actually do train at least every other day, and have never been a SEAL, LEO, or master of the art of invisibility.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

The nicest thing I can say about this is that you figure wrong...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links