probably a dumb question

This is a discussion on probably a dumb question within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; can someone tell me how to determine by looking, if a S & W revovler has MIM parts such as hammer and trigger? Thanks in ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By gasmitty

Thread: probably a dumb question

probably a dumb question

can someone tell me how to determine by looking, if a S & W revovler has MIM parts such as hammer and trigger?

Thanks in advance for your help! I just purchased a 686 no dash and just curious about above question. Love the forum!!!!

2. Remove Ads

As a machinist, my best guess would be by looking for any hint of a seam down the center of the part and/or a hint of a nib, or removal thereof, somewhere on said part.

Honestly though, if the manufacturer did a proper job, you will probably never be able to tell.

Dull appearance and a lack of case colors and is hollowed out on the back side of the bow of the trigger. Began to show up in the late 1990s on some models. May be avoided by purchasing good examples of revolvers of earlier manufacture.

The revolver in my avatar photo dates from 1926, is a Military & Police .38 Special and doesn't have any MIM parts.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Methinks the 686 made its debut around 1980, so that should be the no-dash model vintage. I'm quite sure that predates the appearance of MIM parts at S&W.
    whit42, bmcgilvray and sid1 like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Thanks Gents for all the speedy replies. I really appreciate all the help!!

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    Post pics please. I love a nice looking revolver.

Also, I'm almost positive all the S&W revolvers with MIM hammers do NOT have hammer mounted firing pins like the older forged hammers did. MIM isn't strong enough for that I'm told.

Quote Originally Posted by DustyBottoms View Post
    Also, I'm almost positive all the S&W revolvers with MIM hammers do NOT have hammer mounted firing pins like the older forged hammers did. MIM isn't strong enough for that I'm told.
    Good point.

I've heard that the MIM wasn't suited to hammer mounted firing pins as well. MY 1998 vintage Model 642-1 has an MIM trigger but a case hardened hammer with a hammer-mounted firing pin. Came that way. With the side plate removed the revolver's hammer may be manipulated to cock as it still has a perfectly serviceable singled-action sear. Weird.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

No dumb questions here, and if someone says so...they are the dumb one
    Light travels faster than sound...thats why some people appear bright before they speak

Distinguished Member Array sid1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Methinks the 686 made its debut around 1980, so that should be the no-dash model vintage. I'm quite sure that predates the appearance of MIM parts at S&W.
    Didnt S&W go with MIM parts, around 1998-1999, Or somewhere close to that date?

VIP Member
    If it has a lock above the cylinder release then you got MIM. Also if you look at the trigger and hammer many times the MIM parts have a slight hint of a line straight down the middle.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Links