Ruger LCP vs S&W Bodyguard, AND, which 38?

This is a discussion on Ruger LCP vs S&W Bodyguard, AND, which 38? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm going to get a smaller gun to supplement my M&P 9c. Sometimes I need more of a "pocket" gun. I'm not sure whether to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Ruger LCP vs S&W Bodyguard, AND, which 38?

Ruger LCP vs S&W Bodyguard, AND, which 38?

I'm going to get a smaller gun to supplement my M&P 9c. Sometimes I need more of a "pocket" gun.
    I'm not sure whether to go with an auto or a revolver. What are your opinions on the Ruger and the S&W? Also, is there any small frame .38 that doesn't have killer recoil?
    Thanks for your opinions and advice!

2. Remove Ads

Stay away from the bodyguard 380.

LCR .357 is the ticket.

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    I have a S&W Bodyguard revolver, and love it. Light, thin easy to carry. Recoil is not bad with standard .38 loads,
    if you get into +p's recoil increases of course. Whenever I'm dressed in "full" clothes I carry my M&P,
    but when I'm in shorts and t-shirts (most of the time here in Fl.) I carry the .38 in a Remora.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

If the LCR and the Bodyguard were offered I'd take the Bodyguard loaded with .38 Special +P 158 grain wadcutters.

I'd prefer to leave both of the above behind in favor of one of the Smith & Wesson Models 36, 37, 38, 40, 42, 49, 60, 442, or 642. Any of those along with a nice Colt Detective Special are superior. Just an opinion.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

or you can go get yourself a nice lightweight colt cobra for 4-500 bucks and add an extra round in the chamber..... six 135gr Speer gold dots loaded just over +P ranges..... in a 18oz loaded, accurate, well made older revolver.....

IMG_3778.jpgIMG_3774 (Large).jpgIMG_3593.jpgIMG_3594.jpg

How reliable is the laser on the Bodyguard .38? Do any other .38s have lasers?

I think I would rather have a revolver than a .380, BUT I want to be able to practice firing the gun at the range. Thus, the recoil issue. Which ones have factory grips that can absorb a good amount of the recoil?

Does anyone know whether Ruger has a warranty?

Too expand the field...what about .32 Magnum?

My Ruger SP101 .357 Magnum kicks pretty hard and I would think an LCR would be worse, although I have never shot one. Just the fact it is lighter makes me think so. Maybe .38 ammo in it would not be so bad.

I deliberated between the BG and LCP 380 for a while, but ended up with the Kahr P380 to replace my Sig P238. The trigger pull of the Kahr made the biggest impression on me. However, it seems the LCP has a better reliability reputation from what I researched. The Kahr cost a bit more as well.

I've had an LCP for 3 months and like it for what it is. It's pretty darn accurate for a point and shoot pocket pistol. The trigger sucks and hurts my fingers but I don't shoot it that much either.

Shorts flip flops, t-shirt, and headed to the island store..

I carry the Kel-Tek 380 in a Desaint’s pocket holster. Loaded with Winchester 95 gr LEO talons or Speer LEO Gold Dot 90 gr..

Sure I’d prefer to have my G26 with me, but there are times, a small pocket pistol comes in handy.

I don't see how others carry the larger guns. It ain't easy for me to carry a .380 as it is. I sure can't see how I could carry much larger without open carrying on my hip, which I do NOT want to do.

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spirit4earth View Post
    How reliable is the laser on the Bodyguard .38? Do any other .38s have lasers?

I think I would rather have a revolver than a .380, BUT I want to be able to practice firing the gun at the range. Thus, the recoil issue. Which ones have factory grips that can absorb a good amount of the recoil?
    The laser on my Bodyguard is very reliable. I've had it about 15 months now and it's never failed to work.
    I will say that where the switch is to turn it on is not the most handy to reach. I practiced a whole lot to get to where I could hit it everytime while drawing.
    That might be an issue for you (female with smaller hands).
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit4earth View Post
    Does anyone know whether Ruger has a warranty?

Too expand the field...what about .32 Magnum?
    Let's see... rugers warranty. I still own my first rifle I got when i was a kid. A 1976 10/22 with walnut checkered stock. Four years ago the trigger guard broke. I called them and they asked me to send it in. They sent back the rifle with a new lower trigger assembly. No questions asked. All I paid was outbound shipping of about 14 bucks.

That's about as good as it gets. Ruger's warranty is simple: good old fashioned customer service.THAT is why I continue to buy rugers.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonnie View Post
    My Ruger SP101 .357 Magnum kicks pretty hard and I would think an LCR would be worse, although I have never shot one
    You would be ncorrect. The 357 magnum version, using 38+P rounds is nothing... even for females with small hands. It is 18oz loaded, slips in a pocket and packs a punch without all of the recoil. ... and yes there is a laser option.

http://www.ruger.com/products/lcr/models.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links