Walther PPQ

This is a discussion on Walther PPQ within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; for the glock crowd. until you've fired a steyr or a caracal you really aren't qualified to be commenting. the PPQ is a very good ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Walther PPQ

for the glock crowd.
    until you've fired a steyr or a caracal you really aren't qualified to be commenting.
    the PPQ is a very good gun, the caracal is better and the glock comes in behind steyr
    .XX likes this.

2. Remove Ads

If you like Hickok45, go look at his website. He just posted a "Chapter 2" on the PPQ. He says it has one of the best triggers he has ever seen and he went further to say that if he ever shot competition again, he's strongly consider the PPQ. Said he just couldn't miss with it. Hickok has shot a LOT of pistols over the years and I believe he has a lot of credibility on the internet. He did a short comparison to a comparable Springfield XD model.

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    I really want to go handle one of these and see what all the fuss is about.

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    for the glock crowd.
    until you've fired a steyr or a caracal you really aren't qualified to be commenting.
    the PPQ is a very good gun, the caracal is better and the glock comes in behind steyr
    Prove it please.

Quote Originally Posted by Toorop View Post
    Prove it please.
    you are welcome to come visit and try my guns out for yourself

I shoot my PPQ better than any handgun with the exception of my FNH 5.7. Like I said double taps are easy to pull off with the PPQ.

I like the capacity.

I will mention the carry ability of this gun is better than the size would dictate. I am not sure why but I have carried IWB and with full conceal ability.

The centerline to palm grip high on the grip aids in controls and fast follow up shots.

I have a PPQ,Caracal C and just bought an SR9c today. I think the trigger on the Caracal is the best of the three. For me follow up shots with the PPQ are slower than my G19. Follow up shots with the Caracal are faster than them all due to the even lower bore axis than Glock. I haven't got to shoot the SR9c yet.I might like it better than the Caracal, but doubt it.
    rugergunner likes this.

Senior Member Array rugergunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Walk Soft View Post
    I have a PPQ,Caracal C and just bought an SR9c today. I think the trigger on the Caracal is the best of the three. For me follow up shots with the PPQ are slower than my G19. Follow up shots with the Caracal are faster than them all due to the even lower bore axis than Glock. I haven't got to shoot the SR9c yet.I might like it better than the Caracal, but doubt it.
    I'm impressed. I have not seen much about the Caracal, except in the gun magazines. I am really interested in looking into one of these pistols. If you don't mind me asking, about what do the Caracals go for?
    I would rather die on my feet, than to live on my knees.

$425 ish. I have a friend in IDPA who shoots a Caracal C. He let me try it out one day at the range. I put up my best 15 yard group ever.That was after seven cases of 9mm FMJ in two years through mostly my G17. I bought one before I left the range that day.

I just became the owner of a PPQ. Have not put any rounds through it yet. I was originally looking for a caracal. The only problem is the last one I saw, which was back in October, was recalled. Then the caracal c was recalled as well. The price for the F was $480 I believe. I then set my eyes on a CZ 75-d pcr. Impossible to find out here. So by happen stance I went into a shop to waste some time and was looking at a glock 19 when I spotted the PPQ. I have since heard good things about it and am glad I grabbed it up when I could. Most the shops around here push glocks. I have some fairly big hands and liked the feel of the PPQ better. And just to make things perfectly clear here "I stayed at a holiday in last night" So that's where my experience lies.
    Last edited by diver123; June 9th, 2013 at 09:33 PM. Reason: typo

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by diver123 View Post
    I just became the owner of a PPQ. Have not put any rounds through it yet. I was originally looking for a caracal. The only problem is the last one I saw, which was back in October, was recalled. Then the caracal c was recalled as well. The price for the F was $480 I believe. I then set my eyes on a CZ 75-d pcr. Impossible to find out here. So by happen stance I went into a shop to waste some time and was looking at a glock 19 when I spotted the PPQ. I have since heard good things about it and am glad I grabbed it up when I could. Most the shops around here push glocks. I have some fairly big hands and liked the feel of the PPQ better. And just to make things perfectly clear here "I stayed at a holiday in last night" So that's where my experience lies.
    You are going to dig the PPQ. It's a great handgun and indeed the trigger is superb. I own and have shot many, they are one of the best I have ever come accross. There is a reason we call Caracals (Cara-recalls) in these parts.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    I would venture to offer that the Walther PPQ does have one of the best out-of-the-box stock triggers on a DAO gun on the market.
    I'm sure there may be better triggers on some custom 1911s and such, but for a striker fired gun, with no customization, the reset and pull weight on that trigger is absolutely amazing. I've only heard of maybe one or two people who didn't love the PPQ, and it was mostly an issue of the fit of the gun in their hand, because they had unusually large hands, and disliked the placement of their thumb along the frame. I've shot Glocks, and they don't come close to the PPQ, particularly in the trigger reset department.
    C hawk Glock and .XX like this.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Senior Member Array kahrcarrier's Avatar
    My PPQ started out wonderfully. {.40 S&W} Even took a defensive handgun course with it. !00% functionality. Then it suddenly started to have at least one failure to feed per magazine, usually two or three.
    Need to get it out again, put some ammo through it, see if it is something I can remedy, or if it needs a trip to Walther. Just haven't had the time or the xtra ammunition to wring it out.

It does have a great trigger, and it is very accurate, and I did enjoy shooting it. Maybe a little large for every day carry? But that is a personal preference. For the record, I bought it new, and I believe it is from early production.

Hope I can get it going again.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kahrcarrier View Post
    My PPQ started out wonderfully. {.40 S&W} Even took a defensive handgun course with it. !00% functionality. Then it suddenly started to have at least one failure to feed per magazine, usually two or three.
    Need to get it out again, put some ammo through it, see if it is something I can remedy, or if it needs a trip to Walther. Just haven't had the time or the xtra ammunition to wring it out.

It does have a great trigger, and it is very accurate, and I did enjoy shooting it. Maybe a little large for every day carry? But that is a personal preference. For the record, I bought it new, and I believe it is from early production.

Hope I can get it going again.
    Sounds like a magazine issue. Mine has ran flawless.

Quote Originally Posted by GlassWolf View Post
    I would venture to offer that the Walther PPQ does have one of the best out-of-the-box stock triggers on a DAO gun on the market.
    I'm sure there may be better triggers on some custom 1911s and such, but for a striker fired gun, with no customization, the reset and pull weight on that trigger is absolutely amazing. I've only heard of maybe one or two people who didn't love the PPQ, and it was mostly an issue of the fit of the gun in their hand, because they had unusually large hands, and disliked the placement of their thumb along the frame. I've shot Glocks, and they don't come close to the PPQ, particularly in the trigger reset department.
    My Glocks only start to get in the ballpark of the PPQ after I do my .25 cent trigger job, and change the springs and the connector. It still don't have as short of reset. Yes I agree there is no polymer striker fired firearm that I have seen that has this trigger out of the box. 1911's are still king in the trigger department, but even my buddy who only shoots 1911's loves the PPQ trigger. It's the most underrated handgun made in my opinion. Now they just need to pump them out of production!
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    The FTF issue with the PPQ does indeed sound like a mag issue (feed lips too tight?) and may be worth checking into on that problem. Mine is a 9mm, but the only time I ever had problems with mine, was when I tried an aftermarket "recoil reduction" guide rod and spring. I went back to a stainless version of the stock rod with OE spring, and it's flawless.

In regards to the trigger, It really depends on the 1911. A Sigma series? Not that great. A stock higher end 1911? Sure, great triggers. There are just so many 1911 variants on the market that it's hard to generalize on something as specific as a trigger, but that's why I said out of the box polymer DAO/striker fired gun.. as opposed to "all guns" when saying the PPQ trigger is pretty great. I would love to get my hands on a couple of their 15+2 mags for my M1 PPQ. I hope Walther/Mecgar keeps producing them.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links