Buy now or wait

This is a discussion on Buy now or wait within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; With alot of new guns coming out like the Sig P938 and P224 would you go ahead and buy a newly released gun or wait ...

Thread: Buy now or wait

Buy now or wait

With alot of new guns coming out like the Sig P938 and P224 would you go ahead and buy a newly released gun or wait for the "kinks" to get worked out first.

2. Remove Ads

All I can tell you is that, it is your money, buy what you like and feel comfortable with.

I was in the market for a Kahr PM9 for my wife. The gun shop was sold out of them, so I opted for the Kimber Solo which they had a couple left. She liked the feel of it and it's a nice gun, so we bought it.

There will always be mixed reviews about new guns, the pros and cons, so to speak. For example, I had heard alot of good and bad things about the Solo, but as long as it shoots well and you maintanance it after use there shouldn't be any problems.

I prefer to buy guns that have been around awhile. Gen 4s, p238s, p380s, Solos, etc. They all got off to rough starts. Problems seem to abound with newer stuff.

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    I would wait, way too many issues with anything right off the assembly line.

I do not buy First Versions of any gun on sale. Let someone else get the real deal or piece of *&^% gun and then tell the rest of us what it is. I am not in a rush to get the latest Gun of the week. That said I did just buy a "Maires Leg" in .357 Magnum for which I had a soft part in my heart for since it was introduced a couple of years ago. I was patient on this one....... I also have all of the episodes of "Wanted Dead or Alive" on DVD.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    I also waited it out. I wanted the new CM9 when it was first introduced in late 2009, but waited until January this year to buy. Almost bought the Solo early, but waited for the CM9, and as luck would have it the CM9 series was never plagued with major "issues", and mine has been perfect since day one. Still felt better waiting it out though.

Some new models or re-designs have issues and some don't ... personally I wait a few months to see how they preform before I buy. I don't want to be disappointed so I'd rather wait. YMWV though

with what I buy, waiting is everything. I have to buy used, so I'm always looking for the slightly used, but not abused. The oilier the better. Problem with this type of buying is when that deal shows up, you'd better be ready to jump.

Somewhere Near Lucky Ned Pepper's Hideout
    I'm a hold tight, wait-and-see how the bugs get worked out kind of guy. I bought a Kahr CW45 when they first came out. It suffered from a mag drop issue, which seemed to plague quiet a few of the early models. Kahr sent me a part to fix it, but I never trusted that gun 100-percent after that. I sold it recently to fund my SR1911. The SR has been out about a year now, so I'm good with that one.

Wait and see. Let someone else be the Beta tester.

If it is just caliber change then I "pull the trigger" so to speak.

two guns that I pulled the trigger as soon as they hit the market: Kahr CM9 & Bersa BP 9CC. I actually got one of the first 400 Bersas to enter the U.S. from Argentina. If the manufacture is known for making quality stuff, I don't have a problem jumping on board early. Both the Kahr and the Bersa have been perfect.

SIG makes quality stuff. I've never known a SIG owner to say their guns don't work right. Buy it now.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

cj
    I strongly recommend waiting. I usually do. But all that said, I'll have to see what S&W is coming out with next month in their M&P line, and I might break my own recommendation :(

Links