Best 9mm Companion for Glock 26: G19 or G17? - Page 2

Best 9mm Companion for Glock 26: G19 or G17?

This is a discussion on Best 9mm Companion for Glock 26: G19 or G17? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by retsupt99 The Glock-19 is the perfect 9mm carry.IMHO ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I too have the G26 and the G19...Both compliment each other in my ...

View Poll Results: Best G26 Companion: G19 or G17?

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • Glock 19

46 71.88%
  • Glock 17

18 28.13%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Best 9mm Companion for Glock 26: G19 or G17?

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    The Glock-19 is the perfect 9mm carry.IMHO
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I too have the G26 and the G19...Both compliment each other in my humble opinion, but my G19 is MY EDC...JMO
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

I have a 27 and bought the 22 to go with it. The 22 gen 4 is sweeet. Anyone who cant conceal a 17 or 22 aint trying to hard. I carry mine in a OWB Glock sport combat holster all year long with no problems. Get the 26 for deep concealment and the 17 for everything else.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

Quote Originally Posted by wormy View Post
    Anyone who cant conceal a 17 or 22 aint trying to hard. I carry mine in a OWB Glock sport combat holster all year long with no problems.

How tall are you?

How much do you weigh?

How much larger do you wear your clothes then you would need to if NOT concealing a full size pistol?

How well are you ACTUALLY concealing?
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    How tall are you?

How much do you weigh?

How much larger do you wear your clothes then you would need to if NOT concealing a full size pistol?

How well are you ACTUALLY concealing?
    Please....it aint that hard. Have you tried a Sport Combat holster? It holds a full size 22 high and tight against my side. No problem at ALL in the colder months. In the summer I wear a little longer shirt tail out to cover the barrel length, but the grip is not a problem. Yes you cant wear a wife beater tank top, but normal size shirts aint a problem.

And for what its worth Im only 5'7 weigh 150#. Hence the username...Wormy.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

I vote for the 17 because you have the best CCW of the three , the 26, so go bigger with the full size gun.
    I,ve owned the 19 ,26 and shot the 17 and can also tell you as others have the 19 is the best overall
    but the 26 is a better CCW IMO so go with the service size gun for range use if it fits your hands.
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

VIP Member
    G-19 was my first and then the 26. Same holster the 19 mags work in the 26. Both fit well into my shoulder rig or IWB. I also use a Galco belt slide.
    works great on the motorcycle. Can slide it back or forward a few inches between belt loops. I would rather shoot the 19 because the grip is nice and just a bit longer, the 26 will hide better.

Love and marriage. Ham and eggs. 19 and 26!
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

I know most Glocks are built pretty much to the same standards, but the Glock 17 has been torture tested so much and shown incredible durability--I'd go with it.

My Glock 17 is like a fat girl friend---not too pretty, but take her out, she eats everything and never complains....

the 19 is about an inch longer and 3/4" taller than your 26.

the 17 is about 2" longer and 1.5" taller than your 26.

they're all the same width.

the line of sight increases by about a half an inch each from 5.4" on the 26.

barrel length increases by about a half an inch each from 3.4" on the 26.

they all weigh essentially the same, 20, 21, and 22oz respectively when unloaded.

your weight will of course depend in what magazine you're going to carry with. (loaded G19 weighs about 30-31oz with standard 15rd magazine +1 depending in the ammo you chose). a 15rd magazine +1 in a G26 will weigh about an oz less.

of course the 19 and 17 have accessory rails should you want a weapon light or bayonet etc.

the biggest leap in benefit seems to be from the 26 to the 19. 5 more rounds standard, .6" line of sight increase, and .6" barrel length increase all for not much increase in size or weight.

of course the answer to your question is to buy both.

do a little research and make sure Glock has worked the kinks out of the Gen 4 G19's. i haven't been reading up on them for a while but I heard of some heartburn regarding them. Not sure how substantiated the complaints were.

Well guys, it's settled... Thank you very much for the help and votes :)

Walked out of my LGS with a new Gen 4 Glock 19... I had to remind myself that I wanted a second CCW gun to pair with my G26 and the 19 is perfect for that role.

What made me choose it over the 17 even more was holding the G34 - holy crap you G34 guys were right on the money - and I will hopefully be picking one up when a gen 4 gets back in stock (all they had were gen 3s).

I couldn't see the point of a G17 when the G34 will fill the perfect full size box.

I figure I can do ANYTHING with a 26, 19 and 34 (plus my 30 :D).

EDIT: Crappy IPhone pic

Quote Originally Posted by yz9890 View Post
    the 19 is about an inch longer and 3/4" taller than your 26.

the 17 is about 2" longer and 1.5" taller than your 26.

they're all the same width.

the line of sight increases by about a half an inch each from 5.4" on the 26.

barrel length increases by about a half an inch each from 3.4" on the 26.

they all weigh essentially the same, 20, 21, and 22oz respectively when unloaded.

your weight will of course depend in what magazine you're going to carry with. (loaded G19 weighs about 30-31oz with standard 15rd magazine +1 depending in the ammo you chose). a 15rd magazine +1 in a G26 will weigh about an oz less.

of course the 19 and 17 have accessory rails should you want a weapon light or bayonet etc.

the biggest leap in benefit seems to be from the 26 to the 19. 5 more rounds standard, .6" line of sight increase, and .6" barrel length increase all for not much increase in size or weight.

of course the answer to your question is to buy both.

do a little research and make sure Glock has worked the kinks out of the Gen 4 G19's. i haven't been reading up on them for a while but I heard of some heartburn regarding them. Not sure how substantiated the complaints were.
    @YZ - really excellent post that puts it perfectly in perspective - thank you!

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    I think you made an excellent choice, I prefer the compact sized Glocks myself.

Depends on what you want the G19.17 for. If you are looking to carry it, G19 hands down. If you want it for a range gun, home protection, or just to keep the G26 company, get the G17.

I have the G19 and think it is the best all around 9mm Glock but if I had to do it again, I probably would get the G26 because it is slightly smaller and slightly easier to carry.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links