wifes gun

This is a discussion on wifes gun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm looking to get my wife a pistol, she is new to shooting and left handed She held the walther ppq and p99 and really ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Okemo

Thread: wifes gun

wifes gun

I'm looking to get my wife a pistol, she is new to shooting and left handed She held the walther ppq and p99 and really like the way they both feel. I've got mixed feelings on what would be best for her to eventually use as a carry gun. I like the idea of the p99 having the decocker but I'm also thinking that proper finger to trigger discipline eliminates the accidental fire issue. I intend for her to get lots and lots of range time and drill drill drill before ever carrying. So oh so sweet trigger of the ppq shouldn't be an issue as far as safety. Safety aside the next concern is accuracy we haven't had a chance to fire either I'm not sure how well she would adapt to the da first shot of a decocked p99 and its the first thats really got to count, witch is why I like the ppq. So their you have it, give me some pros and cons of a new shooter with the future intent to carry on these two pistols, if you have other suggestions that is fine just remember she is left handed so 100% left hand controls are required before we would even consider it.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    I'm lefthanded and I've been shooting Rifles , Shotguns, and Handguns for FORTY years ( veteran also ).

Never needed a lefthanded gun.

Don't choose a gun for a woman unless you let her choose your clothes.

I suggest you pay for her to take some training at a Gun Club ( preferably an NRA course )

IMHO there are several DA/DAO auto pistols that are 100% safe and DON'T have manual safeties.

-------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

VIP Member
    Welcome from Virginia.

As to your wifes gun, ultimately what is going to work best for her, is what she is comfortable with. Give her suggestions, pro's and con's of different models, fore systems, but let her decide.

Curious, what part of OK are you in? I spent 17 years in SW OK.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

As was stated get her some Profesional training and let HER pick out the gun.

FIRST...Welcome to the DC community from South Carolina...

I suggest you read Stickies (Part One and Two) in this subforum, for selecting a semiauto for personal defense and carry. Also recommend you BOTH look at Cornered Cat and do some reading. Let your wife select the weapon SHE likes, rather than the one you like. As you stated, get her some good reputable training. Good luck!!! Stay safe.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    I see that you have mixed feelings about what would be best for her to use as a carry gun, what does she think?

As someone else said, read Cornered Cat and take the advice found there. Did you let her choose your carry gun? If so why? And if not, why not? Let her decide and sign her up for a class, don't train her yourself as that can be a problem.

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    My wife finally chose the P99, after three trips to LGS and holding a bunch of guns. Needs to be her choice, and then training. My wife and I drove to NV for a 4 day class, on the way she said her biggest fear was that someone could get the gun away from her. On the way home she said with the confidence she has now they might take it away but they would be holey and have an empty gun. Get her trained

My first girlfriend was left handed.... God I miss the drive in. (and.....delete).
    C hawk Glock likes this.
    And you know I could have me a million more friends, and all I'd have to lose is my point of view. -- John Prine (A Good Time)

My wife uses a .38 special revolver. Seems to be the best caliber she can control. She likes the simplicity of the revolver - just point and shoot!
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

Thanks for all the replies I'm a little confused on why everyone thinks I'm picking out a gun for her though, did you all read over the first line where I said, She held the ppq and p99 and liked them both? Those are the two that she's narrowed it down to. I also intend to have her take an armed self defense class that is offered in our area, I'm a huge advocate of training I spent 5 years in the army doing it. I was just looking here for some opinions on the two pistols.

Thumbs up

My wife is small in stature she has small hands. She shot the PPQ very well despite the fact that the reach to the trigger is a little long. But the muzzle flip was working against her for follow up shots. The trigger feel and reset is awesome . In the end the gun is large and tough to conceal for women who have enough challenges trying to conceal comfortably. So she ended up practicing with a Chiappa Rhino and carries both that and a CM9 your mileage may vary.

Oh on the positive side I now get the PPQ and love the way it shoots and handles. Lucky me ?

Links