First CC firearm? - Page 2

First CC firearm?

This is a discussion on First CC firearm? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Burns I recently applied for the CCW permit in Wisconsin. I have never owned a firearm before however I have had training ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: First CC firearm?

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Burns View Post
    I recently applied for the CCW permit in Wisconsin. I have never owned a firearm before however I have had training with them. I did a lot of research trying to find which one would be right for me. Reliability was the biggest factor I was looking for and I believe I've narrowed it down to 3.

What are your opinions on these?

Glock 19
    SW M&P 40c
    XDm 9mm

I know you can't really go wrong with a Glock but I found that the M&P and XD's have very good reviews. I know a lot of people are mainly concerned about caliber but, correct me if i'm wrong, I think shot placement in a life/death situation is really all that matters.

Thank you!
    Funny, but you listed both the Glock and XD in 9mm and the S&W in .40 ???

Best advice I can give, is to go to a range that rents guns and shoot all three. Choose what you like/shoot best. My own personal opinion I would compare all in the same caliber, just to keep apples to apples.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    Calibers not important to me but when i test them I'll make sure I test them all in the same caliber^

VIP Member
    Just remember, opinions are like --------, everyone has one. Try them out and see which one you like the best and buy that one. I went through many guns until I found what worked for me. None on your list were what I was looking for, but then I don't care for poly guns. For me CZ fit the bill.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

A_D
    Personally, I prefer the XDm and M&P. 9mm is easier to find and cheaper, however, 40 has more "stopping power". Being that this will be your first CC, I would go for more bang for your buck. 9mm will afford you more range time, and IMO is good enough to do the job when it comes to self defense (get yourself some CorBon +P 115 grain hollow points). Practice. Practice. I think the difference between 9mm & 40 all depends on shot placement. In the end, you need to go with what's best for YOU. Rent some guns an' shoot 'em! Note how they feel in your hand.. how they aim for you... How easily they conceal... Which one you shoot best with. Personally, my XDm is always on point. It's a gun that's MADE FOR ME. You have your search narrowed down to 3 excellent firearms. Now, see which one is best for YOU.
    "The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time."

-Mark Twain

I carry a G19 everyday and wouldn't trade it for anything
    Operation Enduring Freedom Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Stubborn View Post
    Funny, but you listed both the Glock and XD in 9mm and the S&W in .40 ???
    ...My own personal opinion I would compare all in the same caliber, just to keep apples to apples.
    Same thing I was thinking.

IMHO the .40 is a great service pistol round, but for a CC gun, I tend to think that if you need bigger than a 9mm - get a .45. In a small gun, the recoil is more manageable and you've got a little more horsepower, too.

If you compare apples to apples (all in 9mm) the Glock, M&P, and XDm are pretty much in a dead heat, but for CC, I'd choose a CW9 over any of them. The extra capacity isn't going to buy you anything 99% of the time, but the smaller size & lighter weight will make it a WHOLE lot nicer to carry. FWIW

Regards,
    Jim

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    "Recoil feel" is highly subjective - a part of this is simply because of the difference between how your particular hands may fit on one pistol versus another...and how different another person's may be, in the same context. Using matching caliber and matching ammo, shoot several of the same "size/class" pistols back-to-back, and you'll readily see where this comes into play. What you perceive may or may not match another person's.

Overall, the smaller/lighter the pistol, the more recoil it will transmit. A perfect demonstration of this is to have shoot a small ultralight revolver - popular concealed-carry choices - rated for .357-Magnum, and then compare it directly to a large and heavy "range/target" revolver of the same caliber.

Again as a generality, unless you go through several thousand rounds per year, the price differential between the .40 and the 9mm may not be all that significant. Be sure you actually sit down and do the math, based on your local (or your preferred dealer's) prices.

Sponsor

Lightbulb

I know a lot of people are mainly concerned about caliber but, correct me if i'm wrong, I think shot placement in a life/death situation is really all that matters.
    You are absolutely correct…

My wife and I carry Glock 19’s with the Gold Dot 124 Standard Load (not +P).

We also have 31 round sticks for back up mags (one in each truck door).
    "...with liberty and justice for all..."
    (Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Some restrictions may apply. Not available in all states). - D. Stanhope

D.R. Middlebrooks - Pro Shooting Coach & Custom Gunsmith
    Tactical Shooting Academy & Custom Shop
    www.TacticalShooting.com

Quote Originally Posted by DRM View Post
    You are absolutely correct…

My wife and I carry Glock 19’s with the Gold Dot 124 Standard Load (not +P).

We also have 31 round sticks for back up mags (one in each truck door).

Nice. I don't think I could ever convince my wife to carry lol. I got her some OC spray but that's about it haha.

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    It's a win/win/win, but I've had plenty of time with my Springfield XD 9sc, and I trust it with my life. (As much as I'll trust any mechanical device.) I've had time with Glocks due to my roommate using them as his duty weapon and off-duty carry, and while they're great pistols, they aren't for me.

Two things to consider.

Fit, and Feel.

If you "fondle" a pistol and the feel isn't natural it's a no go.

Yes, you can get used to anything, but there is no replacement for one that feels good when holding it.

Fit, is something that I gave more weight when considering my first defensive pistol purchase.

LGS owner had me try the three I was looking into in what he called a "fit test". (I've seen this referred to here as "point of aim")

After showing me the functions of all three and showing me how to make sure they were clear, I gave the pistols the test.

He pointed out a clock on the wall over near the corner of the store. I was then told to stand on a duct tape X on the ground that was about 20ft. away. So then I was told to aim for the center of the clock (this was in an area of the store that's kinda to the side, weapon sweep never crossed another customers path) and see how the pistol aimed when I brought it up quickly. The real test was a little unexpected... "now turn around (180) and close your eyes. Turn back around and aim at the center of the clock, then open your eyes and see where your aiming"

For me, Glock 19 was at least on the clock face 5 of 5, and almost center 2 of those.

M&P was no where close, above it every time.

PPQ was my choice for "feel", but was also high every time.

The range test sealed the deal, I was more accurate that I would have thought possible with the Glock.

However, I do not push the Glock for everyone, as we are all different.

I definatley recommend it is on your list of ones to try though.
    "Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4
    Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

My personal opinion, go with the Glock 19. But it really comes down to what works best for you. What feels best in your hands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "The belief in a supernatural source of evil is not necessary.
    Men alone are quite capable of every wickedness."

-Joseph Conrad-

Thats a very interesting test kerberos. Never heard of anything like that before. I'll be sure to try all 3. I've held a Glock before when I was a lot younger and I remember it being pretty comfortable.

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    ^ Natural-point-of-aim takes into account your body's unique structure. Once you find it, practice until you default to it, it helps set you up for success.

Although it is important, it is not necessarily critical. Remember, your upper body is what really controls how you place those shots on-target. In a dynamic critical-stress scenario, you may fall well short of many "ideals," so you'll want to get as many factors aligned naturally in your favor, right-off. While your natural POA is a part of the equation, realize that it may not necessarily always be available.

One specific sub-set of this is how the gun points in your hands, without any input from you, otherwise. Remember, although your grip may evolve, and that may impact to a greater or lesser degree how any gun "points" in your hands, there will still be individual-fit issues that's going to be unique to you.

It's kinda like souping up a Civic to run 10s in the quarter, versus souping up a 'Vette to do the same. If you're jumping into the middle of all of this, getting the right platform, for you, to start with, will give you a boost up into the meat of the bell-curve, rather than making you have to work at every step.

For me, my personal outlook is that there's both truths as well as shortcomings to both the "caliber wars" as well as the "shot placement" philosophies. In the end, it's about your proficiency-in-training with what you are actually using, that's going to matter most.

Go find a shooting range that has rental's. Try to rent all 3 if possible and shoot 100 rounds through each one. IMO you will be able to get a better feel of the gun and take note's. Buy the one that your the happiest with performance and feel. It will save you money in the long run. Just because it's a cool looking gun is not a reason to buy it, if you can't hit the broadside of a barn with it, it's worthless. In other words carry what you can shoot and feel the most comfortable with and reliable.I have 2 high capacity 9mm that are 100% reliable, but I can't shoot them kinda ok and they feel ok. I carry a 1911 45acp that I can shoot really well, 100% reliable and completly comfotable with it. In about 2 week's when my holster come in, I will start carrying my newest 1911 .45acp
    Remember, Life is not like a box of chocolate's.. It's more like a jalapeno pepper, because what you decide upon today can really burn your butt tomorrow..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links