First CC firearm?

First CC firearm?

This is a discussion on First CC firearm? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently applied for the CCW permit in Wisconsin. I have never owned a firearm before however I have had training with them. I did ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: First CC firearm?

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar

First CC firearm?

I recently applied for the CCW permit in Wisconsin. I have never owned a firearm before however I have had training with them. I did a lot of research trying to find which one would be right for me. Reliability was the biggest factor I was looking for and I believe I've narrowed it down to 3.

What are your opinions on these?

Glock 19
    SW M&P 40c
    XDm 9mm

I know you can't really go wrong with a Glock but I found that the M&P and XD's have very good reviews. I know a lot of people are mainly concerned about caliber but, correct me if i'm wrong, I think shot placement in a life/death situation is really all that matters.

Thank you!

all 3 of those guns are awesome. as are many others. a zillion people are about to say one is better than the other 2. don't listen to anyone. go try them out at a range. at least fondle them. shoot as many as you can first.

don't let anyone answer that question for you.
    mano3, hienykins and marcclarke like this.

Thanks yz9890 I'll make sure I try them or "fondle them" haha.

don't get me wrong, it's good to get a lot of opinions. just make sure you verify the hype with hands on experience and/or research. there will be all kinds of factors potentially influencing your choice. do you want/need an external safety?, hammer/striker?, single action?, da/sa?, dao/lem/dak?, how heavy?, how thin?, how much capacity?, and so on.

have fun.

Yeah I know it really depends on the person and what they feel comfortable with. Thanks for your help. :)

Distinguished Member
    I don't have the M&P 9c but have the 45 full size and I love it. If you can get out and shoot them first to try them out, I would do so.
    EDC - M&P Shield .40 OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    They are all fine! I like the gen 3 Glocks for carry. The 19 is the best then I like the smaller G-26.

I bought a G19 on my 21st birthday and carry it today. I am about to buy a G26 for carry because the 19 has proven a little large for my frame (6'0 155 lb). It's a great gun though and would be easier to carry if I had a better holster. I'm thinking about getting a Comptac MTAC to remedy this problem. Shop more for your holster than you do for your gun.
    "Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." - St. Augustine

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    Since you already understand defensive shooting is all about shot placement, get the gun that you shoot the best. Researching and testing is the fun part of gun buying. Enjoy!!
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    "Fondling" the gun at the LGS or the gun-show is akin to sitting in the car in the showroom or the auto-show show-floor.

You can get an immediate feel, and readily decide if something is *just wrong* for you, but you wouldn't buy a car without a test-drive first, would you?

Wouldn't you take the time to do the same, for a tool that might well save your life or that of your loved ones'?

Go to a rage that rents. Go take a class that exposes you to a lot of such guns. Pester - beg, borrow, steal - your friends'/family's guns so that you can shoot them at the range, to determine what actually works, in your hands.
    DRM likes this.

Thank you for the replies, I'll keep all of that in mind. Keep posting your opinions if you'd like, the more the merrier :)

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    As many have said go and hold as many as you can. If long term cost is an issue 9mm is cheaper to shoot.

Thanks elk hunter, I'll make sure I do try them. Cost isn't really an issue, I'll pay whatever it costs to be safe in such an unpredictable world.

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    Of the three guns you listed, ( they are all excellent) the 19 might possibly be the largest. I have a 19, and I have the smaller 26. I carry the 26 but almost never the 19 because the 26 is easier to conceal. As far as caliber, all three come in 40.

the 19 is exactly the same dimensions as the Glock 23 in 40 cal.
    the 27 is the same as 26 except 40 cal

I've been through many carry guns but here is what I carry most of the time:
    Walther PPS 9mm
    Sig 250 Subcompact 40S&W

Another great carry choice is the Ruger SR9C or SR40C I equipped my SR9C with a laserguard laser, and it now is my night time carry and bedside gun.

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

Senior Member Array Kimberpackn's Avatar
    Trying out various handguns is great advice. Knowing what you can get for the money you want to spend is my additional advice. There are so many good guns out there now and many are specifically made with concealed carry in mind. Do not rush into things and end up with a gun you do not like. You may want to add Kahr to your list of weapons to look at.
    accessbob likes this.
    We should not forget that the spark which ignited the American Revolution was caused by the British attempt to confiscate the firearms of the colonists. -

Patrick Henry

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links