Defensive Carry banner

Glock 26 Gen4 are they trouble free?

23K views 30 replies 25 participants last post by  HandgunWorld 
#1 ·
I am going to purchase a G26 and just wondering if the gen4's are ok with no problems.

#3 ·
Well, watch out for the new design MIM extractor with the "dip" in the top. A lot of these are out of tolerances and causing failures to eject (mainly stovepipes) and random ejection patterns. Late Gen 3 G26s are affected, too. Never had any stoppages, but my new manufacture Gen 3 G26 threw brass all over the place but, most annoyingly, was the brass right to the face/forehead. Put a Lone Wolf machined LCI extractor on my G26 purchased last summer and now it's perfect. The dual recoil spring isn't an issue. It's still the same design from when the baby Glocks were introduced in early 90's. It's the new Gen 4 G17/19s that are having recoil spring issues. Why they moved away from the simple and stone cold RELIABLE single recoil spring, I'll never understand. I've heard "softer recoil", but anyone that thinks a G17/19 recoil is harsh shouldn't be shooting anything over .22 anyway. :rolleyes:

#4 ·
My manager purchased one as an ankle gun and more mobile option for long trips. The pistol was tested for reliability right out of the box with me jamming mags and someone else emptying it. We probably shot 200 rounds right off the bat with no failures. The pistol has had a few hundred more down the pipe and is as easy to shoot as a G19. The recoil spring assembly is the same used in past models and shouldn't introduce any new issues as seen on some of the larger framed guns. For whatever reason, the way the smaller, more aggressive grip relates to the hand makes shooting the Gen4 easier to shoot without any extensions than a Gen3 gun with an extended mag. I never really cared for subcompact guns until having the opportunity to bang away with this one and I think you and Glock have a real winner here.

#8 ·
I got one a few months ago… I really like it… the only problem that I have had with it was some cheap wal-mart ammo… federal champion. Once I got away from that… NO PROBLEMS!!!! I love it!!!

#16 ·
My Gen4 G26 scared me the first couple range sessions....

I had a stovepipe malfunction, a failure to fire (twice) and a double feed malfunction.
I am a very experienced pistol and revolver shooter, so before anyone gets any "limpwrist" ideas....not!

I was using some cheap 115gr ammo (Remington UMC bulk pack) and also had some ejected brass to the head!

With my Speer Gold Dot 124gr ammo....not a single problem.

I have now run about 500+ rounds through my G26...and it is now trouble free! (even with cheapo 115gr ammo)

I have just ordered a bulk shipment of Speer Lawman 124gr ammo, along with some Gold Dot 124gr defense ammo...and will continue to run "hotter" ammo than the 115gr....

my G26 has the 336 ejector, but as someone stated earlier...in the subcompacts, the 336 seems to be working ok?

I say, GO FOR IT!

#18 ·
To add to my previous post... Got curious and checked my 1994 vintage Gen 2 G19. Same 336 ejector. Again, never a problem with that one, either, after tens of thousands of rounds. The only thing(s) replaced on that G19 were the stock sights and springs. That's it...

#21 ·
Nothing changed from Gen 3 to Gen 4 but the mag release.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.