Kahr Night Out

This is a discussion on Kahr Night Out within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi All, Just came back from the range after shooting the CM9 & CW45, and really had some fun! I've been wanting to run some ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By gasmitty
  • 1 Post By Kilowatt3

Thread: Kahr Night Out

Kahr Night Out

Hi All,

Just came back from the range after shooting the CM9 & CW45, and really had some fun!

I've been wanting to run some rounds through these two pistols, but most times that I go to the range, I split up my time between too many guns. I decided that tonight would be "Kahr Night". No distractions - just wringing out these two pistols a bit.

The CW45 was my favorite carry gun for a while, before I got the CM9, and decided that the reduced size & weight of the 9 was worth the trade-off for less energy. I still think so, but I found to my surprise that I was shooting better groups, on average, with the .45 than with the 9mm.

I was shooting 13-shot groups at 10 yards (with a mag change, obviously), and kept most everything within about 3" slow-fire and 6-8" rapid fire. The real ringer was that my 2nd-best group for the night was rapid-fire with the .45 at a little under 2-1/2". Guess I was just "In the Zone" or something. The best group was 1-3/4" with the 9mm, slow-fire. These are some really slick little guns! I was a little more focused, probably, than I usually am while shooting, and I kind of rediscovered my appreciation for the Kahr triggers!

The only malf for the night was when I had a mag-drop on the .45, but I immediately realized I was holding with my finger on the mag release! My bad! Didn't drop the mag out of the gun, but it backed out 1/4" or so, and caused a FTF. Guess I need a little more practice!

Anyway, the range trip was a hoot, and I'm REALLY sold on the Kahrs (either one) for CC.

Regards,
    Jim

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Kilowatt3 View Post
    I've been wanting to run some rounds through these two pistols, but most times that I go to the range, I split up my time between too many guns. I decided that tonight would be "Kahr Night". No distractions - just wringing out these two pistols a bit.
    For those who can't out to the range as often as they'd like, it's always a temptation to bring all the guns or a lot of 'em and get some trigger time with each. Fun, for sure, but over time I realized some drawbacks to that approach. First off - you've got that many more guns to clean when you get home! Next, especially if your assortment of guns spans several calibers, you've got multiple calibers to bring along, and sometimes different types of ammo within any caliber (e.g., defensive vs. practice). Then there's the issue of how much time do you really spend with any single gun, versus "sharing the love" among all the blasters your brought along. Once I found myself with more than just a couple of handguns, I fell into that routine.

What you indirectly pointed out was that by narrowing down the number of guns you took with you, you spent more time with each and you seemed to be more sensitive to the differences between the two. These days, that's the approach I favor since my range time is divided about 70/30 between skill development and functional checks (testing different handloads, sighting in, etc.). If I spread myself too thinly among multiple guns, I feel that minimizes the value of the practice with any one of them. As a result, it's rare for me to bring more than 3 guns and 2 calibers with me on any given range trip.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Just food for thought.
    mwhartman and Kilowatt3 like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    For those who can't out to the range as often as they'd like, it's always a temptation to bring all the guns or a lot of 'em and get some trigger time with each. Fun, for sure, but over time I realized some drawbacks to that approach. First off - you've got that many more guns to clean when you get home! Next, especially if your assortment of guns spans several calibers, you've got multiple calibers to bring along, and sometimes different types of ammo within any caliber (e.g., defensive vs. practice). Then there's the issue of how much time do you really spend with any single gun, versus "sharing the love" among all the blasters your brought along. Once I found myself with more than just a couple of handguns, I fell into that routine.

What you indirectly pointed out was that by narrowing down the number of guns you took with you, you spent more time with each and you seemed to be more sensitive to the differences between the two. These days, that's the approach I favor since my range time is divided about 70/30 between skill development and functional checks (testing different handloads, sighting in, etc.). If I spread myself too thinly among multiple guns, I feel that minimizes the value of the practice with any one of them. As a result, it's rare for me to bring more than 3 guns and 2 calibers with me on any given range trip.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Just food for thought.
    Thanks, Smitty!
    Everything you said was precisely why I chose to take only the two guns to the range tonight, and it was the right choice. Being able to focus on only a couple of guns proved to be a very good move (not to mention not lugging a whole lot of extra weight around)! I've been handgunning for 37 years, but I think I just proved (to myself, at least) that I'm not too old to learn a better approach to range trips. I've typically gone to the range with a half-dozen guns in at least 3 or 4 calibers, but I'm thinking that I'll probably limit it to 2 or 3 guns in a couple of calibers from now on. Tonight was kind of an epiphany! I think I learned more about my guns, in a kind of intangible way, than I ever could by hauling them out to the range along with a boatload of other guns & ammo. I had a blast (and also shot better than I thought I could). I also feel like I know these two guns better than I would have if I'd continued to "water down" my range time by dividing it between a whole bunch of guns.

Maybe next time will be ".357 Mag Night"

Regards,
    Jim
    gasmitty likes this.

They're great shooters, glad you had a fun time!

Links