The Handguns the PROS use

This is a discussion on The Handguns the PROS use within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by paullie at the prison i worked at all of our guns were Rugers, guess we wasn't pros I am so so sorry.......

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: The Handguns the PROS use

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paullie View Post
    at the prison i worked at all of our guns were Rugers, guess we wasn't pros
    I am so so sorry....
    Guest1 likes this.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    someone who carries a gun cause they feel that they are better in life to have it than to need it and not have it;

that individual who has practiced with that tool, and understands that the greatest abilities lie in being able to think,
    again--having may be better than wanting but the gun may not always be the best tool for every sitauation.

the pro will be effective in the use of his gun if the resolution of that event requires its use.

which make and model is rather moot
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

A professional will carry what he issued, what he's ordered, what he can afford or what ever is handy. A professional will believe that his skill set is in him... not his gun.
    atctimmy, Stubborn and multistage like this.

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    I'm not a pro, never was a pro and never played one on TV. The gun i carry is the one I have proven to my satisfaction, will go bang each and every time I pull the trigger. If it fails to fire, fails to feed or fails to eject even once while practicing at the range and I am absolutely certain it was not a result of faulty ammunition, limp wristing or other human error, it goes to live in my safe or is traded for something else. 99% isn't good enough! So far my S&W 342 Ti. .38 snubbie and my Kel-Tec P3AT are 100%.

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    Our local Sheriff's Dept. & City Police switched a couple years ago from Glock 22 40S&W to 21's 45ACP
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

VIP Member
    Wow this is getting good. By definition I guess I fit in the category as a pro. When home I carry a variety of weapons and can shoot and teach with anything over here it is a Glock 19 dominated world.

Old Grunt not speaking for Police Departments in the states as they are often told what to carry but as far as over here you are pretty much spot on.

The majority, 98%, of all handguns used here by contractors and the three letter agencies are Glock 19's. A spattering of SIG's and Beretta 92's. I have seen a total of two 1911 weapons in the hands of SF units and I have worked in the sandboxes for over 6 years now they simply carried the Beretta's or Glocks for their own reasons namely more rounds in the gun. So this does not turn into a caliber war the 9mm was/is not considered being undergunned. If you shoot your adversary in the face he tends not to want to be around you anymore no matter what the caliber.

As has been stated a handgun is a secondary weapons system in most cases here so they simply stick to what works and the Glocks simply work with little or no upkeep. Each contract is different some issue Glocks, Beretta, SIG's, BHP and even some CZ 75's and CZ-99's, 1911 weapons are not issued mainly due to the availability of ammunition and the limited magazine capacity. I am not saying they are not here and used for special applications it is simply the everyday sidearm is something else.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    WaHOO !

I've got some Colts,
    some Glocks,
    and some Sigs...

does that make a professional pro or a triple pro?
    A triple pro, of course.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Be careful of the implications of being a "pro."
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Enough said,thanks azchevy.
    Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    My take is that what works for the pros may not always work for you. Certain pros have rifles or carbines as primary weapons. Almost all have radio contact and backup. Some have close air support. Others small unit support. Others partners or backup units on the area. So when choosing a defensive handgun you should take reliability into consideration but also note that what works for the pros may not work for you. So don't choose based on what the pros use. Formulate your criteria and choose for you.

+1 for the Colt Government Model 1911.............

I actually shoot better then about 80% of the the cops I have shot with. I am not a pro just a guy that goes to the range 2-3 time per week. I also use to shoot a lot of USPSA matches. At my peak I was shooting about 1500 rounds per month. I shoot XDs better then anything, I am no pro but an above average shooter.

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Secret Spuk View Post
    A professional will carry what he issued, what he's ordered, what he can afford or what ever is handy. A professional will believe that his skill set is in him... not his gun.
    Them's wise words pilgrim.

Personally, I'm not concerned with what the "Pro's" use or carry.
    A handgun is only to get me out of a bad situation, or to buy me enough time to get to a real weapon.

Just my $.02
    Secret Spuk likes this.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Historically, yes, those three guns have been used in a lot of agencies. But to infer that only those guns are "profesh'nul enuf" is faulty logic. What about the Beretta M9A1? Gen 3 smiths? Those were used in high numbers before Glock offered sweetheart trades to agencies, and S&W is doing the same thing right back again now.

In the last few weeks I've seen a whole lot of LEO's buy Smith and Wesson Bodyguard .380's and M&P'S (as their personal weapons). There are a lot of agencies using M&P's (Atlanta PD is one). I also know a police chief who carries a Ruger LCR as his sidearm.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by redbeardsong View Post
    Historically, yes, those three guns have been used in a lot of agencies. But to infer that only those guns are "profesh'nul enuf" is faulty logic. What about the Beretta M9A1? Gen 3 smiths? Those were used in high numbers before Glock offered sweetheart trades to agencies, and S&W is doing the same thing right back again now.

In the last few weeks I've seen a whole lot of LEO's buy Smith and Wesson Bodyguard .380's and M&P'S (as their personal weapons). There are a lot of agencies using M&P's (Atlanta PD is one). I also know a police chief who carries a Ruger LCR as his sidearm.
    If you are counting LEO's as a big part of "The Pros" then it comes down to a two gun race these days,:Glock and M&P. By the way don't think Glock quite giving their guns away, they "Perfected" the practice and they know M&P is nipping on their heels.
    hogdaddy likes this.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Guess I read Op wrong. I thought the thread would be about "professional shooters". My first thought was of Jerry Michulak. I think he could out shoot me with a H&R single shot with me carring a full custom Kimber. He shoots for who ever pays the best. Same with someone like Rod Latham. That being said there is not any body shooting for HiPoint. Some good points from previous posters. Good thread.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links