The Handguns the PROS use - Page 4

The Handguns the PROS use

This is a discussion on The Handguns the PROS use within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I guess I dropped the ball by using the word PRO. What I should have said is that those 3 autos are very common in ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: The Handguns the PROS use

OOOPPPPS on the word PRO

I guess I dropped the ball by using the word PRO. What I should have said is that those 3 autos are very common in general and seem to be preferred by some of the top military and LE units. Thousand pardons!
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

Could you not make a case for "pro" referring to the bounty of high speed low drag tactical trainiers availabel now...if so, an argument could be made for the uptick of M&P usage in that arena.

I do agree with you general assessment OP as the 1911 variation, Glock and Sig seem to sominate a lot of the LE/MIL segment for those carrying a sidearm as a way of life and in to harms way.
    old grunt likes this.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    Could you not make a case for "pro" referring to the bounty of high speed low drag tactical trainiers availabel now...if so, an argument could be made for the uptick of M&P usage in that arena.

I do agree with you general assessment OP as the 1911 variation, Glock and Sig seem to sominate a lot of the LE/MIL segment for those carrying a sidearm as a way of life and in to harms way.
    Great post! I tend to agree, except with your logic the M9 should be considered.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

I do not consider most LEO's or military as "pro's" as far as firearms are concerned for the following reason:
    For most shooting is not the primary focus of their job. Look at my avatar. Before I went SF I flew recon airplanes. That was my primary job. Every 6 months I got to shoot a .38 for qualification. Very few in either profession would say shooting in the primary job description.

Don't know why you included the 1911 in your group of pistols that "pros" use. Only an extremely small minority of LE agencies and military organizations utilize that platform, and almost none do as a general issue sidearm.
    The Beretta M9 is a more accurate choice as a pistol that is actually used by "pros," if that is your criteria for pistol selection.
    My agency's SWAT team used to use Kimber 1911 pistols, but they finally wised up and realized that there was no good reason to handicap themselves with low capacity and questionable reliability. They have since switched to the same Glock 22 pistols that are standard issue for all officers. Common sense trumped ego, for once.
    Having the choice to carry just about any quality platform that I wanted while off duty, and on plainclothes detail, I still came back to Glock after trying just about all of the other major platforms. Simple design, reliable, easy to maintain, lightweight, reliable, accurate, good capacity, well supported by aftermarket companies, and did I mention reliable? The fact that I came to the same common sense conclusion as over 60% of LE agencies is just coincidence.
    Glockwatcher likes this.
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

Here we go again. 9mm versus 45 versus 40 versus this that and the other things. The guns the pros use and yada yada yada. Get a gun thats reliable accurate fits you hand well functions with all ammo that its fed and god forbid if the time comes. Shoot the **** outta the bad guys. Stay safe everyone.

A rhetorical question.

What difference does it really make to us what the pro's use?
    Secret Spuk likes this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    A rhetorical question.

What difference does it really make to us what the pro's use?
    I have always said the same thing. That did not make me want to run out and buy a Chevy Caprice when I saw all the LEO's driving them back in the day!
    BugDude and multistage like this.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    What is the difference between a real pro and an aspiring wannabe?

^I believe the answer to that is^^^^^^^^^^^^

A pro will be a has-been someday, while a aspiring wannabe will just be a neverwuz

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    My take is that what works for the pros may not always work for you. Certain pros have rifles or carbines as primary weapons. Almost all have radio contact and backup. Some have close air support. Others small unit support. Others partners or backup units on the area. So when choosing a defensive handgun you should take reliability into consideration but also note that what works for the pros may not work for you. So don't choose based on what the pros use. Formulate your criteria and choose for you.
    ^^^^^I would tend to be in this camp as well^^^^^^^^

Also, it would seem old grunt may have been a bit on the bored side today, and just so happened to have that pot-stirrer thingey in his hand at the moment,,,,,
    I love it!!!!!!!
    Secret Spuk likes this.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    The gun I carry for my purposes and reasons is the only one that matters to me. What anyone else carries for their purposes and reasons is irrelevant.

Could not of SAID IT ANY BETTER,,,, I carry what I want to carry ,,,,, you do the same ,,,,,

I believe that anyone who use, and depend on a firearm every day, and do it for a living would be a professional. Having said that there's always going to be varying level's of professionalism. Not to forget that quite often an amature, or interested person or enthusiast may gain a skillset with weapons beyond that of many professionals.

In my opinion there is no such thing as a has been. Once a person gain a level of skill's, and education he's going to carry it with him forever. And there is nothing to keep him from maintaining that level of skll, and continuing his education. The individual who is spoken of as a never was has also invested in himself, equipment, and education to accomplish a skillset.
    The difference IMO is experience.

Professional= A person engaged or qualified in a profession. That is the definition of what a pro is.

Being a pro with a weapons system, takes mindset and training. While we have people on the LE and military side of things that are pros, sometimes they fail to meet the term given to them. On the civilian side of the coin, we have some here that have had a critical incident, IMO it makes them as much of a pro as anyone else. You know, been there done that...

As for the weapons being used. Give me my smith any day of the week.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    from a sig line i saw somewhere....

amateurs train till they get it right;
    professionals train till they can't get it wrong.
    Secret Spuk and nedrgr21 like this.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

VIP Member
    Since I am an admitted non-professional, should it matter to me what the pros do?
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Quote Originally Posted by claude clay View Post
    from a sig line i saw somewhere....

amateurs train till they get it right;
    professionals train till they get it wrong.
    Fixed it for you...

You need to get to a point of failure before you can better yourself....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links