Is this gun trade CRaZy?

This is a discussion on Is this gun trade CRaZy? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by TheDetailer I'd have no problem trading something, or two somethings for something I want. As a matter of fact, I'm working on ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Is this gun trade CRaZy?

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDetailer View Post
    I'd have no problem trading something, or two somethings for something I want. As a matter of fact, I'm working on trading my wife for a Spike's Tactical AR...

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk
    How much boot will you have to give?
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Its not all about money as some would have you think.

It's all about getting what you want, when you want it.

You had a gun that you were willing to part with, to get two guns that you wanted and you did it.

Bottom line is this....if you are both happy with the trade, that is all that matters.

Sometimes when we trade, we can take a hit on the money, but it dosent matter if you want the item badly enough.
    You got what you wanted, he got what he wanted. More power to ya!.
    Congrats!

you asked:
    Would you ever consider making a gun trade where you're losing on $$$ value, but getting another gun that you would rather own?
    and the answer is.. I can, I have and I will continue to do so.
    RonCo likes this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

For what it's worth. I didn't pay a dime for the J-frame. My father-in-law gave it to my wife, but she could not shoot the broad side of a barn from the inside with it. So, I'm trading it to his son/her brother along with the Bodyguard 380 which I purchased new about a year ago.

So, I am not personally losing money. Sure, I could have sold both guns and profited, but this way the gift J-frame stays in the family, we get rid of the mouse gun, and get a Glock. And, even though I am paying down a few bills, I am not exactly living pay check to pay check (this is where people assume a lot).

I guess I should have included the information about how I acquired the J-frame in my initial post. Although, I know some people still consider it a flat out numbers game.

However, my goal here was to get some outside input on the trade that may help influence future trades. I think I got that.

Thanks for everyone's input.

You AND you your BIL are both winners...he gained in $$$, and you gained in quality.:
    RonCo and Vaquero 45 like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

You got what you wanted . but I would not have given them up for a Glock. Over priced over rated

Whats the money lost?? If you sold them separate if you could find a buyer? ~$100??? If you aren't worried about that and don't use them I would. For something that would get used. And those guns won't go up in value. Thats some ppl beer budget for the weekend. :)
    RonCo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    yep. Two safe queens for one I'd actually carry would be a good trade for me as well.
    I agree: there's no point having guns for a particular use if you aren't using them and want something else. Value is subtle: I made a trade for a gun last summer that was leveraged a little in the other guy's favor, but that gun has turned out to be the perfect EDC for me and hasn't left my side since August. I'm 100% sure it was the right move and the value of having that gun outweighs the minor loss in cash that I incurred.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk
    ironmike86 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    I would not have given them up for a Glock. Over priced over rated
    Am I correct in assuming that you're just not a fan of Glocks in general?

Most important you like it better than what you traded for. My G27 I got the first week they came out Gen2 I believe. Still shoots good. many many rounds throught it. I love my Glocks.As they say I show off my Colt 1911 to my friends. I love that gun. But if I need a shtf it would be one of my Glocks. I like to carry my polymer guns also = Lighter. I'm thinking of getting a M&P. I'm liking them. I don't gun discriminate. I love them all. The reliable ones. :) . The G26 is a good gun. Another thing to add value. If it's not used whats the value?? Like a gym membership and never going?? EDC it then it being used = more value. Unless it's a collector / safe queen and you love it.. That has value. But a gun(s) you don't like..??....

The value thing usually balances out over time. I traded two used guns in for a $$ loss on my G19. Then I was gifted another gun as a gift for x-mas, then traded that G19 for a H&K straight up. Initially, I lost some $$$ but in the long run I made out like a bandit.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    You AND you your BIL are both winners...he gained in $$$, and you gained in quality.:
    Absolutely, this.

If you didn't pay anything for the J frame, then you made money by trading it and the Bodyguard 380 for the G26. True, you could have made MORE money by selling the J frame and 380 first, but hey, money isn't everything. If you are happy, and your BIL is happy, who give a flying fark what anyone else thinks?

The G26 is a far superior weapon to either the Bodyguard or the J frame, especially if your lady can't hit anything with the J frame and you are not comfortable with .380.

You did well. Don't concern yourself with people who know the cost of everything and the value of nothing.
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

Quote Originally Posted by RonCo View Post
    Am I correct in assuming that you're just not a fan of Glocks in general?
    Yep, the first ones were a major step after that over priced over rated just another buzz word.

If it made you happy, yes.
    Money isn't everything.

Senior Member Array kahrcarrier's Avatar
    If you are happy, that is what matters.

I am a big fan of the Glock 26 and the J-frame. The Bodyguard............not so much.

Good luck!

Horrible trade id never have done it.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links