Is this gun trade CRaZy?

Is this gun trade CRaZy?

This is a discussion on Is this gun trade CRaZy? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well... the deal is done, but I'd like to get some experienced gun enthusiast's opinions on my decision. I've become a Glockophile. After acquiring a ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Is this gun trade CRaZy?

Is this gun trade CRaZy?

Well... the deal is done, but I'd like to get some experienced gun enthusiast's opinions on my decision.

I've become a Glockophile. After acquiring a G23 a couple of years ago I witnessed the simplicity, reliability, and durability that is "Glock Perfection".

I've owed a diverse mix of other handguns of various calibers, and shot just about everything under the sun at least once. And, I have recently decided to work toward building an all Glock collection of handguns. I have also decided to draw the line at 9mm being the smallest caliber carried for my personal defense.

My brother-in-law has a Glock 26 subcompact 9mm. I'm not currently in a position to purchase any new guns, but I have a few that I don't particularly need/want. I figured a trade was the only way that I'd be acquiring any new guns until I get a few bills paid off towards the end of this year.

Now, the brother-in-law is understandably quite fond of his G26, so I knew I'd have to propose a sweet deal to to even pique his interest. I called him up and offered a 2-for-1 trade. My S&W Bodyguard .380 & S&W model 637 J-frame .38 special for his Glock 26. He took the offer and we'll do the swap soon.

Would you ever consider making a gun trade where you're losing on $$$ value, but getting another gun that you would rather own?

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    Would you ever consider making a gun trade where you're losing on $$$ value, but getting another gun that you would rather own?

Yes I would. If you don't feel like those 2 guns are "made" for you, then there's no need to have them. And like you said, you really can't go wrong with a Glock 26. And if it's your brother-in-law I'm sure you'll see those guns again, it's not like trading them to a total stranger. It really is a matter of opinion but that's my take on it. Good luck.
    RonCo and ironmike86 like this.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

I most certainly would as well. From your original post, it sounds like you made a perfect trade for your tastes. Would I have made the same trade? Probably not, but that's just me. Trading 2 guns you don't like for one you love? Sounds to me like you made a brilliant decision!
    RonCo likes this.

You're giving up a minimum of $100 in gun value in this trade. Your BIL is a lucky guy.

Never for a gun that didn't have some collector value, like say, a Smith & Wesson 38/44 Outdoorsman (out of production for maybe 75 years). Give up 2 decent guns for a run of the mill Glock (their "perfection" notwithstanding)? No way. I have more patience than that.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

The G26 will be my wife's edc.

She currently carries the S&W Bodyguard and shoots it fairly well, but I hate to send her out with her life in the hands of a .380. Not to mention that it has had a tendency to have "light strikes" with certain ammo... She couldn't hit the sky with that J-frame.

She has shot my G23 well, but it is a little too big for her. I think the G26 should meet her needs and my concerns quite well.
    ironmike86 likes this.

I've no expierience with either of the 2 guns that you traded. In my mind the revolver would be something to keep the .380 not so much. The GLOCK 26 is a damn fine pistol but can usually be had for around $500-$550 new, they are nothing special except for the fact that they go bang when you want them to. If the 2 guns you traded don't agree with you and the GLOCK 26 does, you made a pretty good trade. Like Burns said at least the ones you traded are still accessible unless your BIL gets rid of them.

Enjoy your new rabbits.
    RonCo likes this.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

yep. Two safe queens for one I'd actually carry would be a good trade for me as well.
    ironmike86 likes this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    PT Barnum said there was a sucker born every minute, he has two guns and you gotta Glock.
    joker1 and franco45 like this.

I would have done the revolver for the Glock even. Given the cost of revolvers these days vs. a run of the mill G26.

The .380 could have been kept for a later deal.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    for a glock id trade a charter arms.....even
    multistage likes this.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

I guess the real question is how does your wife feel about the trade? You said you want 9 mm or better and you prefer Glock but your wife is the one you say will edc the new weapon. She shot the bodyguard well, does she shoot the Glock equally well? Will the Glock work for her style of carry equally well? Is she ok with the extra weight I am sure the Glock has? If all these are answered truthfully YES then great deal, if not then you better hope your wife learns to love Glock as much as you do so she is willing to overlook her issues to have "perfection".

Eh...to each their own.

I sold my Glock 26 (3rd gen) and 2 nice IWB holsters for $400 to a friend.

I'm a fan of Smith snubbies. I would've kept the 637 for a glovebox gun. I don't know anything about the Bodyguard, so can't comment.

As long as you got what works for you what does it matter what you traded for it? I'm sure we've all taken hits on trades to get exactly what we want and what works for us.

Missed the part about the Glock26 being your wife's EDC. Personally, I'm not a fan of picking an EDC for someone else. It's a personal, fit, comfort, proficiency thing. If she hates it, then you have yourself a new Glock26, then what does she have to carry?
    Watch your six!

Yes. Your trade was very amateur. You should have either sold both weapons and bought yourself a G26 or just saved up for the G26. I for one didn't get where I am at today by throwing money away. But to each his own.

Distinguished Member
    If the deal makes you happier than you would have been not making the deal, it matters not the financial aspect. You think it is worth it to you. So, it is worth it. If you didn't feel it was worth it, you wouldn't have made the deal. Dealing on only financial aspects is not necessarily the most important factor. Each person has to decide if it is the money that is worth it at the time, or some other need (want) which may be satisfied. To me, it isn't always about the dollars.
    EDC - Glock 21C, M&P Shield .40 OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

As far as my wife's opinion on the trade, she could truly care less. She only got her CCW and carries a handgun at my urging.

I make sure she shoots enough to be moderately proficient, but she is by no means a "gun bunny."

She'll carry the Glock and shoot as many rounds through it as I ask her to because she trusts me to handle our personal security issues. I don't think I'll ever turn her into Annie Oakley, just some chick you wouldn't wanna corner.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links