642 performs

This is a discussion on 642 performs within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; While I prefer to carry a full size 1911 when the weather allows for a concealment garment, my little 642 is my "summer" gun of ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: 642 performs

While I prefer to carry a full size 1911 when the weather allows for a concealment garment, my little 642 is my "summer" gun of choice! Fits well in the right hand pocket of my cargo shorts.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by JDE101 View Post
    While I prefer to carry a full size 1911 when the weather allows for a concealment garment, my little 642 is my "summer" gun of choice! Fits well in the right hand pocket of my cargo shorts.
    I Agree and that is why I went back to the 642. Easy to conceal and light to carry.
    K9, Colt 3 5 7
    Colt Python 6",4", 2.5"
    Sig P225
    Sig P239 SAS/DAK
    Colt Diamondback
    Colt Trooper .357

Got the same set up for the wife, dropped a Wolff reduced weight spring kit in it and it is one sweet little shooter. The CT was a great training tool to teach her trigger control, while watching TV in bed I would have her put the laser on a spot on the wall and pull the trigger and try to keep the "dot on the spot".

I find myself carrying my 642 more and more. Easy to stuff in a front pocket in a Nemisis holster. And I know it will always go bang. And I'm not bad shooting it. The CT grips help a lot. I use the grips more for shootability than for the laser.
    "Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die." Joe Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by helderberg View Post
    I started out with a 637 then a 638 and now the 642. This is the gun I should have bought first. The covered hammer makes the frame just different enough to fit "my hand" perfect. Hope you have a good and long life with your 642, I intend to.
    Be safe, Frank.
    @Frank, if you are willing to share, what led you to decide to transition from the 638 to the 642? (Color me curious and eager to learn.)

Awesome, i have one of my own also. Bunker
    Attached Images
    "6 P's of self defense "
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

Really like my 642 she has be neglected since I bought my LCP. Maybe I will take her out today.

How do the CT grips compare to the standard grips?

Do they help with recoil?

How about concealability?

Quote Originally Posted by joepa150 View Post
    How do the CT grips compare to the standard grips?

Do they help with recoil?

How about concealability?
    The version I have is the LG305 which is longer than the standard 642 grip. Long enough to get a three fingered grip. It is of similar material. It does have a built in cushion at the top of the grip where the hump of the frame starts. It helps some but not a lot, you still feel a good bit of recoil.
    As far as concealling it is pretty easy to hide. The original grips are about 1/2 to 5/8 inch shorter to they would be easier to hide I am sure of that. The trade off is not worth the difference to me.
    Also the Crimson Trace grips are available in three versions LG105,305,405. Check out their website for the details.
    But the main benefit for me is the laser, I just shoot much better with the laser than without it.
    K9, Colt 3 5 7
    Colt Python 6",4", 2.5"
    Sig P225
    Sig P239 SAS/DAK
    Colt Diamondback
    Colt Trooper .357

Quote Originally Posted by got2hav1 View Post
    The version I have is the LG305 which is longer than the standard 642 grip. Long enough to get a three fingered grip. It is of similar material. It does have a built in cushion at the top of the grip where the hump of the frame starts. It helps some but not a lot, you still feel a good bit of recoil.
    As far as concealling it is pretty easy to hide. The original grips are about 1/2 to 5/8 inch shorter to they would be easier to hide I am sure of that. The trade off is not worth the difference to me.
    Also the Crimson Trace grips are available in three versions LG105,305,405. Check out their website for the details.
    But the main benefit for me is the laser, I just shoot much better with the laser than without it.
    I have the LG405s, and not to disagree with Got2hav1 (it's a YMMV thing), for me they help a lot with grip and recoil. J frame Smiths kick, I'm not saying otherwise! The CTs do help. I've not sacrificed anything regarding concealability, but it's not as smooth on the draw from a pocket. It takes practice get a clean safe draw.

Bunker....what holster is that in your picture?

VIP Member
    Snubs are awesome. Good shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by marcclarke View Post
    @Frank, if you are willing to share, what led you to decide to transition from the 638 to the 642? (Color me curious and eager to learn.)
    I find the hump on the back of the 642 fits my hand, the web, better than the 638. It has a rounded area that covers the hammer so when it is fired it can roll up and off target. That same area on the 642 helps me keep on target. I intend to invest in a pair of Crimson Trace 405 grips. They fill in that area but not the lower part of the frame. Everyone's hands are different and i understand that but this just feels better to me. I thought I was nuts but laid the two guns on top of each other and it is in fact "different" better for me.
    Thanks for the reply, Frank.

Quote Originally Posted by helderberg View Post
    I find the hump on the back of the 642 fits my hand, the web, better than the 638. It has a rounded area that covers the hammer so when it is fired it can roll up and off target. That same area on the 642 helps me keep on target. I intend to invest in a pair of Crimson Trace 405 grips. They fill in that area but not the lower part of the frame. Everyone's hands are different and i understand that but this just feels better to me. I thought I was nuts but laid the two guns on top of each other and it is in fact "different" better for me.
    Thanks for the reply, Frank.
    You will love the 405 CTs!

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    don't need no stinkin red stuff....

point----pull trigger
    ------------

S&W, the orginal point & click device
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them