Defensive Carry banner

642 performs

3K views 28 replies 20 participants last post by  claude clay 
#1 ·
I started out carrying one of these a couple of years ago. I sold it later and went with a couple of different autos for awhile but could never find one that I could conceal as well as the little 642. It is so light and small I decided the other day to buy another one. It has the LG305 CT laser grips which I love. So I am back in the snubbie fan club. Here are a few pictures and the first target is 10 shots while I adjusted the laser. The last target measures 1-3/8" center to center. I think I can do a little better but thats not bad. 21 feet away with a two hand hold. Yes the 642 snubbie does perform!

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm back to carrying snubnose 38s a vast majority of the time. They are often overlooked, but the perfect cc weapon in my opinion. Simple, easy, small, light, but still capable of putting rounds on target quickly if you practice with it. Good choice!!! Welcome back to the snub club.

#10 ·
In Washington state we would never get away with glove box carry... It is the law that it has to be on the permit carrier while in the car...

#4 ·
Ive gotten my paterns down to about 3 feet at 7 yards, thats not bad though considering I could barely hit the targest when I got my 642. I dont have laser grips though.

#5 ·
always carried a 38 spl; seldom as primary, most always as the secondary.

practiced to shoot at 3-5 paces through a jacket pocket at a 6" plate positioned at the belt buckle
and, still weak hand, POA is the 2nd button down on a shirt.

#6 ·
I should clarify I guess. The 642 is for summer duty. I plan to use either a Glock 26 or a SiG P239 under heavier clothing. And because of work I can not carry everyday.

#8 ·
I have no problem keeping my shots within a 5 1/2" circle out to 25 feet. I do practice a lot, including daily with a S&W 317/ weekly with the 642. I also went from sometimes carry with a G23 to all-the-time carry with the 642.

#14 ·
I started out with a 637 then a 638 and now the 642. This is the gun I should have bought first. The covered hammer makes the frame just different enough to fit "my hand" perfect. Hope you have a good and long life with your 642, I intend to.
Be safe, Frank.

#16 ·
While I prefer to carry a full size 1911 when the weather allows for a concealment garment, my little 642 is my "summer" gun of choice! Fits well in the right hand pocket of my cargo shorts.:yup:

#18 ·
Got the same set up for the wife, dropped a Wolff reduced weight spring kit in it and it is one sweet little shooter. The CT was a great training tool to teach her trigger control, while watching TV in bed I would have her put the laser on a spot on the wall and pull the trigger and try to keep the "dot on the spot".

#19 ·
I find myself carrying my 642 more and more. Easy to stuff in a front pocket in a Nemisis holster. And I know it will always go bang. And I'm not bad shooting it. The CT grips help a lot. I use the grips more for shootability than for the laser.

#24 ·
The version I have is the LG305 which is longer than the standard 642 grip. Long enough to get a three fingered grip. It is of similar material. It does have a built in cushion at the top of the grip where the hump of the frame starts. It helps some but not a lot, you still feel a good bit of recoil.
As far as concealling it is pretty easy to hide. The original grips are about 1/2 to 5/8 inch shorter to they would be easier to hide I am sure of that. The trade off is not worth the difference to me.
Also the Crimson Trace grips are available in three versions LG105,305,405. Check out their website for the details.
But the main benefit for me is the laser, I just shoot much better with the laser than without it.

#26 ·
Snubs are awesome. Good shooting.

#29 ·
don't need no stinkin red stuff....

point----pull trigger
------------

S&W, the orginal point & click device

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.