Conflicted after shooting LCP and P238

This is a discussion on Conflicted after shooting LCP and P238 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My plan was to go to my LGS and pick up an LCP today after renting one and putting some rounds through it. I've been ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Conflicted after shooting LCP and P238

Conflicted after shooting LCP and P238

My plan was to go to my LGS and pick up an LCP today after renting one and putting some rounds through it. I've been doing weeks of research and anecdotally thought the LCP would be perfect for CC on my relatively small frame. The LGS had an LCP and a P238 in the case for rental. Unfortunately no P3AT. The Counter guy insisted i take the P238 out first, so i did. The P238 is heavy. I hadn't done much reading on it, so it was a virgin experience. Immediately striking to me was the "full frame" functionality of the 238. Functionally, it's like a larger gun, just miniaturized. I knew this wasn't the case with the LCP. After about 30 rounds i was doing 3-4" groups at 25 feet. So i ran through my box and went back for the LCP.

I think my LCP experience was a little tainted. I immediately noticed that this gun has seen better days. The slide had a good bit of play, as did the mag. grip and knurling was polished smooth. I think it was a 367-xxxx serial? Anyway, loaded it up and started putting rounds through. The trigger is so dramatically different than the 238. Not worse...just different. For me, more difficult to be accurate with...a little less predictable, but if you squeeze smoothly all the way through the travel i was grouping pretty well before too long. Mechanically, the LCP was frustrating to use. The long trigger pull makes my hands a little tense and sweaty...making it extremely difficult to lock the slide back, or really even rack it after putting in a mag. Looking at the two, i expected the more abrupt design of the 238 to make it less comfortable to shoot...but i found it to be quite the opposite. It could have been fatigue at that point, but my hand was pretty beat up by the LCP by the end.

Now obviously the 238 comes out to be about twice the price of the LCP, at least at this gun shop. The price, weight, and easy teardown are huge pluses for the LCP...but i don't find it to be easy to use. The counter guy's argument was that, even if they are equally reliable and equally accurate, your proficiency will be inherently lower with the LCP if the uncomfortable-ness causes you to not shoot as often. In theory you can negate this if you're very dedicated, but it's definitely something to think about.

I've shot lots of guns, but this is actually my first handgun purchase, so i'm impressionable. At this point i know i need to revisit my subcompact .380 priorities.

Anyone have some input to humor my ramblings? :)

Thanks guys.

2. Remove Ads

I won't start a fight by stating my opinion, because my opinion surely would. All I will say is that I have shot both, back to back, and there was no question as to the superior gun. One carries better, the other shoots better. I'd rather compensate carry methods than performance. So I ordered the one that, for me, was far superior to the other.

Of course, SIGs have been my favorites for awhile.

VIP Member
    Which one are you most willing to bet your life on?
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

I own both. I shoot both. But if i had to pick one it would be "Rose" - my P238 with rosewood grips!

The LCP is great for times when you need something very light and ultra-concealable.

I encourage a larger caliber, but caliber aside, you are comparing a cheapo low end firearm to one designed as a higher end (of the under $1k range group of weapons) firearm.

That is like comparing Yugo to Mustang.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

I agree with your assessment of the LCP. I did not care for the long trigger pull on such a small gun. I felt like my trigger finger was way up into palm by the time the bang happened.
    And you know I could have me a million more friends, and all I'd have to lose is my point of view. -- John Prine (A Good Time)

If I were to carry a .380 as my primary weapon, almost assuredly it would be the Sig P238. Steel frame, better trigger, manual safety ala 1911.

For my needs, I needed a solidly built .380 which was light weight, no manual safety with a long DA trigger pull, and 100% reliable for use as a pocket carried back-up gun, or a very discreet, deep concealment hide-out gun. Therefore, polymer frame, with no manual safety were high priorities.

The intended use for my gun is at contact distance, out to 5 feet. Something to be used during a struggle while fending off someone trying to disarm me or when my primary gun hand is otherwise occupied or injured. Something you just shove in someone's face or chest and let it rip until the magazine is empty.

One thing I found out regarding the accuracy of my LCP is that it's actually more accurate in rapid fire. With such a tiny, lightweight gun with a long, albeit smooth trigger pull, I found my groups wandering a bit with slow, aimed, deliberate fire. I found my groups really tightened up when I just got a solid grip and started pulling the trigger in rapid fire.

So, for my intended purpose, the LCP fit the need and requirements perfectly. Again, if I were to carry a .380 as my primary carry gun, I'd go with the SIG, hands down. Even at twice the price.

So all I would say, is to evaluate what your intended purpose and specific needs are with the gun and go from there.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

VIP Member
    As has been said the SIG is simply a better manufactured weapon however you pay for that better weapon to. The simple answer has already been asked "Which one would you bet your life on?".

On of my carry/BUG is a SIG 238
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

I got no problem betting my life on the LCP. It's solidly built, and 100% flawless reliability with well over 2,000 rounds of every brand of ammo I've fed through it to date.

SIG is certainly not without their problems and issues. I can't say the LCP is not well manufactured. They are two completely different designs. It's not an equal comparison.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I owned the P238 for about a year-it was a joy to shoot and own, no issues. It is quality all the way.

IMO the weight is a wash. The Sig might weigh 2-3 oz more than the LCP. That's less than the change in your pocket. So then it really comes down to two things... which one do you shoot better with (rapid fire... not trying to squeeze off quarter sized groups at 10 yards)... and how much does the price difference effect your decision?

I've owned both. For me, and me alone, my rapid fire groups were immensely smaller with the 238 than the LCP. That coupled with the LCP starting to rust on me after one day of pocket carry was the deal breaker.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I'm leaning toward the 238 at this point. I'm aware that they are two completely different classes of guns...i'm really just trying to reason out which set of pros/cons is more significant. I'm not debating the lethality or reliability of the LCP, by any means.

thanks again for the feedback.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

They are 2 different designs appealing to 2 different markets. Both go bang. Beyond that you get what you pay for. Save yourself regrets, not money.

a lot of people don't like the SA cocked and locked carry setup. make sure you're comfortable with that or willing to train for it of you go with the Sig. it's a sweet gun but there's also a lot to be said for the extreme mechanical and procedural simplicity of the long pull DA micros. accuracy within their limited effective range is essentially a wash IMO.

I know the Colt Mustang isn't a Sig but they are basically the same. My daughter who doesn't shoot much did this her second day with the Colt from ~21ft. Not bad imo.Only 2 off center. The little .380 are hard to shoot but I don't mind the Colt. I enjoy that. The Lcp not so much . Maybe because it's lighter? But the Lcp will do what it suppose to. Small concealable and reliable. I would rather have a Sig if $$ wasn't a problem. But I would still carry the Lcp if thats all I had. But the Sig looks so sweet. JMO/JME

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links