P380 or P-3AT?

This is a discussion on P380 or P-3AT? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My normal carry item is a S&W 442 which is slightly too big for dress pants in some cases. I'm stuck between the Kahr and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: P380 or P-3AT?

P380 or P-3AT?

My normal carry item is a S&W 442 which is slightly too big for dress pants in some cases. I'm stuck between the Kahr and Kel-Tec. Any guidance either way?
    Thanks.
    Freedom of speech does not excuse one from freedom of thought.

2. Remove Ads

The P3AT is a painful gun to shoot, has the worst sights ever, and is not 100% reliable. Look at the used market. People can't give them away. The Kahrs I've shot have been decent, although pricey. If a 442 is too big for you, then you do have a problem, because it's about a small as a real defensive gun can get. Do you have a pocket holster for it?

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejib View Post
    The P3AT is a painful gun to shoot, has the worst sights ever, and is not 100% reliable. Look at the used market. People can't give them away. The Kahrs I've shot have been decent, although pricey. If a 442 is too big for you, then you do have a problem, because it's about a small as a real defensive gun can get. Do you have a pocket holster for it?
    Really?? Find me someone giving away a P3AT and Ill take it. I know of a couple that have been 100%. I have a 637 Airweight and its a great pistol but the cylinder is as wide as a Glock. Im also looking for a thin dress pants gun. Im considering a LCP, P3AT and also the Sig P238.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

I had the Kahr P380, it was probably a lemon of what is otherwise a decent gun. Was unable to get through a magazine with an ejection OR feed issue. Called Kahr and was instructed to put the recommended number of rounds through the pistol-no change. My LGS was really nice and allowed me a full credit towards something else. And as with most .380's, it was very snappy-not a lot of fun to shoot.

I'm not a big Kahr fan so I'd go with the American made Keltec. Plus their warranty dept is top notch.

The people at Kel-Tec are the nicest ever. I wrote them about buying a guide rod and springs, no charge. I have a P3AT that had some problems, but it's all right now. I don't carry it anymore though; it likes to jam. A lot of people have great ones, but I don't trust mine.

I don't have any experience with the Kahr.

P238, you cant go wrong...Its a Sig

I have two KelTec firearms, a P-3AT and a .32.
    Both are 8+ years old and have never given me any difficulty.
    They are not a fun gun to shoot at the range, but then they were meant to be an up close and 'in your eye' SD weapon.
    So easy to conceal for those times one can't carry OWB or IWB...just slip it into a pocket.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by kmagnuss View Post
    I'm not a big Kahr fan so I'd go with the American made Keltec. Plus their warranty dept is top notch.
    - Kahr is also American made.

I've owned a Kel-Tec P32 and also a Kahr P380. When it comes to build quality, there is no comparison. The Kel-Tec P32 was very rough and the Hard Chrome finish was about as ugly a finish as I've seen on a gun. That being said, it was 100% reliable and was a great carry. I sold it simply because I ended up buying a LCP to bump up to the .380ACP caliber. The Kahr P380's trigger is one of the best DAO triggers out there and it's very accurate with great sights.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

By "dress pants" are you referring to a suit? Or something like dockers?

In suit pants, I can usually carry a PM9. Sometimes, I need to step down to a LCP.

In dockers, I can usually carry my Glock 26 in the pocket. I have actually taken some pants to a tailor, to have the pockets deepened and squared off at the bottom, which allows me to carry the G26 - which is a far better pistol than any other pocketable option. You do need a good gun belt to support the weight. I bought a dress gun belt to use at work.

The P380 is a better pistol than the P3at, but also much more costly. Personally, I'd go with the LCP instead. We have 3 of them.

Good luck!
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Also you might check out smith and wessons 380 bodyguard. I think it already comes with a laser. If I ever replace my bersa thunder 380 it will be one of these.

Quote Originally Posted by sixgun View Post
    Also you might check out smith and wessons 380 bodyguard. I think it already comes with a laser. If I ever replace my bersa thunder 380 it will be one of these.
    - I'm a fan of lasers, but the S&W Insight lasers are my least favorite. No instinctual activation, multiple laser modes and a limited on time aren't exactly user friendly. IMO, Crimson Trace or none at all.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Yep. As a multiple consumer, CT or none at all.

The Kahr is far superior to the Keltec in terms of quality. Mine had to make a trip back to the factory to fix some issues, but it has been fine since. I've also had XS Big Dot night sights installed and they are worlds better than the non-existent Keltec sights. All that aisde, I carry my S&W 638 or 640 98% of the time. The Kahr goes with me in thin dress pants or (sometimes) when I'm wearing shorts and feel the snubbies print too much.

I love my Kahr P380. It's one of the American made ones.
    Glock 23 - CZ 452 ZKM Special
    Walther P22 - LMT STD 16
    Mossberg 500A - Kahr P380
    Henry H001Y - Winchester 12
    Smith & Wesson M&P Shield
    Mossberg 500B - Marlin 336Y

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links