First time handgun owner needing advice on what to choose... - Page 2

First time handgun owner needing advice on what to choose...

This is a discussion on First time handgun owner needing advice on what to choose... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; M&P and Glock are both very fine pistols. As for fitting the hand, edge goes to M&P. As for the trigger, big edge goes to ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: First time handgun owner needing advice on what to choose...

M&P and Glock are both very fine pistols. As for fitting the hand, edge goes to M&P. As for the trigger, big edge goes to Glock. If S&W put a better trigger in the M&P, I would hands down own them and recommend them #1 on the list. But the reset is horrible and the trigger travel is way toooooo...loooooong.

So since it's your first handgun, get a Glock. Easy to maintain, easier than the M&P to take apart and clean, easier to get spare parts for, better trigger, and can easily be modified to fit your hand if you don't like it. In fact the Gen4 is likely to fit your hand.

As for caliber, if you're set on .40, go for it. Just give it a 1,000 round trigger job as soon as you can! Episode 145 – 1,000 Round Trigger Job. | HandgunWorld Podcast
    Bob Mayne
    HandgunWorld Podcast
    www.handgunworld.com
    Suarez International Instructor

The stock Glock 27 won't be comfortable to shoot until you put an extension on the magazine to give your little finger enough room to grip. When you do that it will be the same size as a 23. That might bea better place to start. Second place is surely the M&P, last to Taurus. Especially the small frame Taurus guns.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

I guess 60% of these guys will recommend Glock. 39% will recommend the Smith. What's left will recommend something that is not on your list. You won't see many (if any) guys voting for Taurus.

As it was before you even posted, it's up to you. Either the Glock or the Smith would serve you well.

Either the Smith or Glock.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

I carry a Glock 26, wouldn't carry anything else but if you want .40 than the G27 is a good choice, small, accurate, lightweight & they don't fail ...

Distinguished Member
    Although I generally prefer a 1911 style pistol, I have a striker-fired .40 that I absolutely love... it's a Springfield XD-40 4" service model and it's really a pleasure to shoot. It's a little heavy, even though it's a polymer frame, but I still tote it around in a shoulder rig from time to time instead of the ever-so-compact-and-light Sig P238 (.380). I'm probably up to a couple thousand rounds through it now and I've yet to experience a single malfunction.

I also like the .40, went to purchase a G23, but brought home the SA XD40 SC, love this gun!
    sid1 likes this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

For what you said your needs are, I would cast another vote for the Glock 23, but I would add Gen 4 to it. It's much more 'fun' to shoot than the G27. The G27 can be a workout at the range, while the G23 is just plain fun.

I went to the gun store today and held a few of the weapons you guys mentioned. I have to say..... Glock 23 takes the cake as far as size and comfort. I thought it was the size bigger .40 caliber. I like its size alot. I think I would like to buy one this week. Is it worth it to buy the Gen 4 over the Gen 3? I have found a Gen 4 for $569.00 at my gun store. Also, after searching on the internet, I stumbled upon the (for lack of the propper technical word) "silver" slide glock 23. Any idea where you can get one of those in Gen 4?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links