First time handgun owner needing advice on what to choose...

This is a discussion on First time handgun owner needing advice on what to choose... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; S&W M&P .40c or Taurus 24/7 G2 .40 compact or Glock 27? I have shooting experience and would like to have a .40 caliber weapon. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: First time handgun owner needing advice on what to choose...

First time handgun owner needing advice on what to choose...

S&W M&P .40c or Taurus 24/7 G2 .40 compact or Glock 27?

I have shooting experience and would like to have a .40 caliber weapon.

Any input would be appreciated.

I plan on using it mostly for home defense, but will carry it too.

Thanks!!!

2. Remove Ads

This is just my personal opinion, but in your situation I would go with the Glock first, the M&P second, and the Taurus tenth. I would also look at any Sig or Walther in .40 caliber that appeals to you.
    wormy and kmagnuss like this.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

sgb
    The M&P and the Glock are both excellent choices and which you should get should be determined by how well it fits your hand and how well you shoot it. Forget the Taurus, friends don't let friends buy Taurus.
    kmagnuss and DanielC like this.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    unless you have other handguns to back up in case of repairs....the M&P or the glock
    ---i have trouble with that word...cause the chance of getting a taurus that runs right is so slim.

new or used? used at around $450 has you about $100 short of getting a sig 239 or 229.
    thems be a real gun!!
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Why are you set on .40sw? I would recommend 9mm for a first time handgun shooter.

If you are dead-set on the .40, I would HIGHLY recommend you SHOOT a Glock 27 before you buy it - the recoil is stout and snappy.

I would take a look at the Glock 26 (same size as the G27 but in 9mm) or the Glock 19 in 9mm which is one size larger.
    goldshellback likes this.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ViennaGambit View Post
    Why are you set on .40sw? I would recommend 9mm for a first time shooter.

If you are dead-set on the .40, I would HIGHLY recommend you SHOOT a Glock 27 before you buy it - the recoil is stout and snappy.

I would also take a look at the Glock 26 (same size as the G27 but 9mm) or the Glock 19 in 9mm.
    -----------------
    he says he has shooting experience.
    now, unless you are going to quiz him, id accept that he made a knowledgble statement
    ... he "would like to have a .40 caliber weapon"
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Why are you set on .40sw? I would recommend 9mm for a first time shooter.

I would also take a look at the Glock 26 (same size as the G27 but 9mm) or the Glock 19 in 9mm.
    +1. The Glock 27 probaly not the best choice for a first timer. It can be a little surprising the first time you shoot it.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

VIP Member
    I have been shooting for over 50 years, and prefer the 9mm to the .40.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Thanks everyone for the input. I have shot the glock 27 multiple times at the range. My girlfriend's grandpa just recently bought her one and we have been practicing with it. I honestly am not that big of a fan of the glock, but her grandpa is a glock outfitter and can do all of the upgrades that I would want. He also has a nearly unlimited supply of .40 cal ammo he can give us (lets just say he works in a feild where he carries a gun all day and makes frequent trips to the shooting range ). That is why a .40 caliber would be a good choice for me. I really like the M&P so far, although I have not shot it. The Taurus was appealing because of its price, but I have also heard poor things about the company. In my honest opinion, I think glocks are ugly, and the grip angle sucks. I kow that will probably offend many people out there, but its the honest truth. I guess I just need to shoot the M&P and see if I like it. Any negatives about the M&P compact? As far as price, $480.00 seems about what I can find online. Does that sound reasonable?

Thanks everyone!

I'd take the M&P over the Glock all day. Just for feel in the hand. Taurus shouldn't even be in that same lineup unless you said something like... I had a piece of rebar get lodged into the barrel of my Glock but decided to shoot it anyway, which made it have a fail to extract... which reminded me of that POS Taurus I threw down the garbage disposal a few years back.

I would choose the M&P out of what you gave. I would also look at the Ruger SR40 or SR40C.

I don't think you can go wrong with either the S&W or Glock. I would see if you can rent a S&W and see which one you prefer shooting and carrying.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

VIP Member
    If your dead set on a polymer striker fired pistol, I'd go with the M&P. If a metal frame, hammer fired gun is an option, look at the CZ P-06.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Why are you set on .40sw? I would recommend 9mm for a first time handgun shooter.

I would take a look at the Glock 26 (same size as the G27 but in 9mm) or the Glock 19 in 9mm which is one size larger.
    My G23 is (nearly) the same size as my G26. Fits all the G26 holsters, fits my hand better, carries more rounds......

Well, Glock and I have been getting along great for a long time. I started my defensive carry days (permit days) with the G27 myself. Back in those days, a mil-spec 1911A1 was my 'farm and home' choice. For me the carrying in public can sometimes differ from the choice for home defense. Both of these aspects have come closer to a point over the years. Mainly to keep things more simple and ammo buying more focused and frugal. I'll attempt to keep the rest of my reply somewhat generic and leave Glock out of it. My ideas here mainly come from my own experiences. Getting a larger bore sub-compact pistol and learning to use it and deploy it effectively has many benefits over starting with a minimum (entry) caliber in my opinion. I don't wish to jerk anyone's chain by calling the 9mm a minimum or entry caliber by any means, and likewise not say those who have chosen an even lesser caliber than 9mm for their own personal defense have made the wrong choice. Everyone needs to carry what they are effective with. If you can't hit with it, get something else. If you can't buy ammo for it, get something else. If you won't practice with it, get something else. If you can't or won't carry it all the time comfortably.....get something else. Pretty simple for most who want to depend on a firearm to save their life in any situation. Excluding myself from the revolver-semi auto debate at this point, the available ammunition capacity of a firearm or pistol should not be chosen solely on that fact. Personally I'm good with 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 13, 15, 17, 19, etc..... Steel Challenge I'll take all I can get. LOL! I personally like the 40S&W for what it is. I also like the 9mm and 45ACP for what they are as well. I will say that for a strictly home defense handgun...I'm not a fan of sub-compacts. For concealed carry in public I think they shine. Many folks just aren't able to deal with a heavy recoil round in a sub-compact pistol. Many have difficulty hitting consistently with sub-compact pistols all together. I'll bet that at least 80% of folks who either carry or have a permit never even give as much thought to it as most do here on this forum. Those 80% are simply comfortable knowing they have something even though they don't give much thought to basic survival. They are the placebo group. For the rest of us that got the right prescription.....we need to integrate our choice of defensive firearms into every aspect of our lives and be adept with them at any time. EVERY aspect of your life. To the point of you don't really exist without it. Home defense may dictate one thing and public carry another. Then there is that single firearm that could pull double duty for both. Night sights on a home defense pistol should be standard in my opinion. Flashlight/laser mount is nice, but the G27 doesn't have a mount although you could go with a CTC Lasergrip. As far as a single pistol for both home defense and defensive carry, I have to go with the G23 as the best balance of everything required other than the human interface. An "ugly" gun can save you're bacon just like a pretty one. If an ugly girl pulls you out of the burning wreckage of your vehicle after you've had an accident would you kiss her or just put her on your Christmas card mailing list? Glocks serve a purpose and they do it rather well IMO. If I didn't think the 40S&W was a good round overall, I'd have a 9mm for carry and a 45ACP for home. As you can obviously see I rely on Glocks a lot, but they are not the only thing I depend on. There is a place for everything and everything has it's place. Blessed be those that know where everything is and can find it all in one place.
    I plan on using it mostly for home defense, but will carry it too.
    Your words tell me you have priorities. #1 and #2. You may not be ready for the one pistol that fills both roles. In this case, you choose the best for home defense and give more thoughts to carry when you're ready to balance it all out. You may very well end up with two choices. Fear not. I figure maybe 5% of the serious would actually find one single pistol and/or caliber to do both. What is 5% of 20%?
    Wishing you the best.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links