The Springer XD-S in .45 ACP!!! I'm intrigued and I want one!

This is a discussion on The Springer XD-S in .45 ACP!!! I'm intrigued and I want one! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, I have almost paid for my new Taurus .38 Special and I'm wanting ANOTHER gun!! I read about this in the April 2012 NRA ...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By wormy
  • 1 Post By Armydad
  • 1 Post By tokerblue
  • 1 Post By Ceapea
  • 1 Post By 2rott
  • 1 Post By Madcap_Magician

Thread: The Springer XD-S in .45 ACP!!! I'm intrigued and I want one!

The Springer XD-S in .45 ACP!!! I'm intrigued and I want one!

Well, I have almost paid for my new Taurus .38 Special and I'm wanting ANOTHER gun!!

I read about this in the April 2012 NRA American Rifleman (inside cover).

.45 ACP
    5+1
    21.5oz
    1" width
    6.3" length
    4.4" height

It looks just like my XD-SC 9mm which I love.

Have you seen it in real life?
    Do you have it?
    Have you shot it?
    Whadayya thinkabboudit?

My only questions are (other than above): 1) will it fit in my XD holsters and 2) are extended mags available?

I think I've found what I'm looking for! (an 80's song comes to mind)
    Wow!
    Carpe Diem

2. Remove Ads

If I were you Id wait till all the bugs have been found before buying. IMO
    tokerblue likes this.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

Quote Originally Posted by wormy View Post
    If I were you Id wait till all the bugs have been found before buying. IMO
    - I agree. A lot of new guns (even from experienced makers) have growing pains in their first year.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by DAO.Diva View Post
    I think I've found what I'm looking for!
    I agree, there's alot to like in the XDS. I'm in no hurry to replace my Kel-Tec PF-9, but if this thing is all it's said to be, it may well do just that. Similar overall dimensions to my PF-9, yet chambered in .45 ACP. Sounds good to me.

I have the XDS on my short list. Normally I would wait awhile but I am not sure that we have the luxury of awhile to wait.
    Firearm.Fan.Girl likes this.

Geeze-whiz, that total of 6 rounds sounds an awful lot like an old wheel-gun. I thought that everybody left the six-shooter for dead due to the low round count available!
    Oh well, what's old is what's new, I guess.
    Besides that, like most others have said, a new(er) style/design gun is worth waiting for any bugs to be worked out. But why wait for a single stack 45 (like it's a new idea) when we have one already...can you say 1911? (And most of them have the much desired "higher" capacity too).
    Now, a single stack 9mm/40 S&W Glock, I'd be up for that.
    The man's nuts....grab 'em!
    A pistol free zone is a crime spree zone!
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    I'd like to compare it to the Kahr CW45. Dimensions are almost identical. The Kahr is just a hair higher, but it gives you 1 more round with that height. That and it is about $100 less than the XD.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ceapea View Post
    But why wait for a single stack 45 (like it's a new idea) when we have one already...can you say 1911? (And most of them have the much desired "higher" capacity too).
    - Some people prefer a DAO. I don't carry a 1911 simply because I don't want a manual safety on my defensive firearm. I've forgotten to take the safety off my shotgun multiple times in the field when duck hunting, which isn't life or death.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
    - Some people prefer a DAO. I don't carry a 1911 simply because I don't want a manual safety on my defensive firearm. I've forgotten to take the safety off my shotgun multiple times in the field when duck hunting, which isn't life or death.
    Yeah, I know, I'm like you. While I do own 1911's, I only carry guns without safeties myself.
    The man's nuts....grab 'em!
    A pistol free zone is a crime spree zone!
    NRA Life Member

I agree with the last 2 guys. I only carry guns w/o a safety. KISS is my motto. 6 rounds of 45cal in a small & hopefully controlable package, sounds OK to me for a CCW or back-up gun. XD's tend to have manageable recoil from my experience. I hope the s is as good. I have a KAHR K 9 & I want to see how the XDs stacks up. I've been looking for a CCW 45.

Yes, DAO's my name! I have a Springer full size 1911, not for carry, but for home defense. I don't like the carry safeties either - that long DAO trigger pull is safety enough for me. I think this would be a leapfrog from my Bodyguard 380 to a 45 conceal carry right over my 9mm. If Springer adds an extended mag like the XDSC-9mm then I am in. I'll be the guinea pig on this one - if it's got bugs it just goes back. I'm kinda a Springer-ophile.
    Carpe Diem

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    Have you seen it in real life?
    Do you have it?
    Have you shot it?
    Whadayya thinkabboudit?

1) will it fit in my XD holsters
    2) are extended mags available?
    No. It's not out yet, so almost no one has it.
    No. So far the only people who have shot it were people at the Media Range Day at SHOT show this year and Springfield Armory employees.
    We all want one!
    It will not fit your XD holsters by virtue of being a single stack with a different barrel length.
    I doubt spare mags of any kind will be available for months. I doubt the gun itself will be easily available for months.
    Hakkaa päälle!

Quote Originally Posted by SamRudolph View Post
    No. It's not out yet, so almost no one has it.
    No. So far the only people who have shot it were people at the Media Range Day at SHOT show this year and Springfield Armory employees.
    We all want one!
    It will not fit your XD holsters by virtue of being a single stack with a different barrel length.
    I doubt spare mags of any kind will be available for months. I doubt the gun itself will be easily available for months.
    Thanks for your answers. Boo on the holster thing - I'll just have to keep my XDsc 9mm instead of trading up - hee-hee. I can be patient and it's now on the top of my Xmas list. I hope I'll be able to get an extended mag like I did for my Springer 1911 to grab a few more rounds capacity. The 5+1 is a little anemic for me.
    Carpe Diem

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    Thanks for your answers. Boo on the holster thing - I'll just have to keep my XDsc 9mm instead of trading up - hee-hee. I can be patient and it's now on the top of my Xmas list. I hope I'll be able to get an extended mag like I did for my Springer 1911 to grab a few more rounds capacity. The 5+1 is a little anemic for me.
    I look at it this way- it's an extra round over my J-frames in a more powerful cartridge with a gun that's pretty much the same size.
    Hakkaa päälle!

Links