Kahr and/or Bersa?

This is a discussion on Kahr and/or Bersa? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by stevez The slide is extremely tight and Kahr recommends racking the slide about 500 times for a break in , plus the ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Kahr and/or Bersa?

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stevez View Post
    The slide is extremely tight and Kahr recommends racking the slide about 500 times for a break in, plus the proper lubbing etc before shooting.
    Just to be clear; Kahr does not recommend this. Don't confuse the Kahr company with internet forum posters.
    mr surveyor likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Wow, thanks for all the great info and input! I really appreciate it.

Now I need to head for the LGS and check everything out!
    Cheers!

Joe
    NRA Benefactor Member
    Fortīs fortūna adiuvat

Senior Member Array High Altitude's Avatar
    Both make good pistols.

mlk18, crcr3399 and nightsonge like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ripley16 View Post
    Just to be clear; Kahr does not recommend this. Don't confuse the Kahr company with internet forum posters.
    True dat. This is NOT in the Kahr Manual.

I don't have any personal experience w/ Bersa handguns, but I've read on the 'net of many folks who've had a good experience w/ them. I do have a Kahr CW45 and like it a great deal. The onlyl 9mm I cc is a Kel-Tec PF9. At the time I bought it, the CW9 was not out yet and the CM9 was hard to find. I like the CW45 enough that if I had it to do over, I MIGHT buy the CM9 or CW9 in place of the PF9. Something I really like about the PF9 is the ability to pocket carry it, expecially during the summer. I think one would have a harder time doing that w/ the Bersa BP9 CC and the Kahr CW9. On the other hand, the PM9 should pocket carry as well as the PF9. I think you'd be happy w/ the right Kahr, and possibly the right Bersa, as well.

any of the three are very good guns....Thunder 9 Ultracompact is a double stack 13+1 and the other two are both single stack 7+1 9mm's.

Bersa BP 9cc vs Bersa Thunder 9 Ultracompact.

Bersa BP 9cc vs Kahr CW9

nightsonge likes this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

I carry a Kahr pM9 in a pocket holster and really like it. Traded a Walther ppks 380 for the Kahr because had trouble taking it apart to clean. Just read the first reviews on the new Springfield XSD carry 45 and look forward to trying it.

Also, can't go wrong with a Glock as I comprtrd with a 17 for many years

Quote Originally Posted by Hcrtex View Post
    ...I comprtrd with a 17 for many years
    Pardon my ignorance, but what does that mean?

Regards,
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Kilowatt3 View Post
    Pardon my ignorance, but what does that mean?

Regards,
    Jim
    I think he just hit the R instead of the E (the keys are neighbors).
    Dave

"When among wild beasts, if they menace you, be a wild beast."
    -Herman Melville

I've had four Bersa's and a few more Kahrs. There are some major differences. The Bersas will be heavier and larger, but for the money they are very good. For a number of years they had quite a few problems with their finish, but it appears they have that under contol now. Personally, I would not choose one for conceald carry; a great range pistol, however.

I did carry a Kahr CW9, and I do carry the newer CM9. And I consider the CM9 one of the best I've ever had in over 40 years. Light, small and accurate, and no appreciable recoil. It does have a bit of a long trigger pull, but now that I'm used to it, I don't notice it. I got mine, with two magazines, out the door for $390. You can certainly pay more for a lot of different pistols, but I'm not sure you will get a better one for the price. One brief caution, I have a friend who has very big hands and he simply did not feel as though he had enough control with the CM9 to feel comfortable and in control; so he went with the CW9.
    NRA Lifer Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by Squib View Post
    I've had four Bersa's and a few more Kahrs. There are some major differences. The Bersas will be heavier and larger, but for the money they are very good. For a number of years they had quite a few problems with their finish, but it appears they have that under contol now. Personally, I would not choose one for conceald carry; a great range pistol, however.
    the Bersa BP 9CC is minutely heavier than the Kahr CW9 and just as thin.....I think you are referring to the double stack models such as the one in my pic above when you are saying "heavier". BTW,
    The Thunder 9UC is the same size as a Glock 26 and just a few ounces heavier. I carry the one in the pic a lot.....incredibly accurate....I mean dead nuts on accurate.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Squib View Post
    One brief caution, I have a friend who has very big hands and he simply did not feel as though he had enough control with the CM9 to feel comfortable and in control; so he went with the CW9.
    I was at the LGS today and checked out the CM9. I didn't like it for the reason you mention. It just felt way to small in my hand. I think it would be OK in a pinch, but I really didn't take to it. They didn't have a CW9 in stock (or any other Kahrs for that matter) so I looked around at some other stuff. I sort of fell in love with a Springfield Armory EMP in 9mm. I think I just might have to go that route!!

Thanks for the input. I appreciate it!
    Cheers!

Joe
    NRA Benefactor Member
    Fortīs fortūna adiuvat

test of cw9, bp9, cm9, m&p shield p290rs

My friends and I recently gathered up the Kahr CW9, CM9, Bersa BP9, S&W M&P Shield and Sig P290RS and went to te range to see what everyone thought of the pistols. We had five shooters and we each had ample opportunity to run each gun through its paces. After every shooter had his fill, the consensus was that the BP9 was the favorite. It had a nice trigger with a quick reset although there was some concern that it did not have enough resistance. It also had a larger dot on the front sight which made it easier to see. The recoil was mild and straight up so follow-up shots were quick and easy. After this range session, two people from the group ordered a BP9.

The Kahr Cw9 was a solid second and functioned flawlessly but it just did not feel as good as the Bersa. The trigger felt too long and the sights were not as easy to use as the Bersa. It is a little lighter than the Bersa and slightly smaller but the Bersa adds an extra round.

The CM9 also functioned flawlessly and is a great choice for a pocket pistol. Being a smaller gun, it left something to be desired as far as grip length and feel. However, it is the only one of the five that would fit in a pocket easily.

We expected the M&P Shield to be the favorite but every shooter came away disappointed. The recoil was up and to the right making follow-up shots more difficult. The grip was not as comfortable as the BP9 or CW9 and the sights on the BP9 are more visible. The trigger on the BP9 also had a better feel. Would we be happy with the Shield if the BP9 and CW9 were not available? Yes, but unfortunately for the Shield, the BP9 and CW9 showed up.

The P290RS had some soft-strike issues but would fire using the re-strike feature. It was accurate but the soft-strike issue killed the gun. We had about six soft-strikes over seven magazines of six shots each. Way too many for our tastes. This issue was supposed to have been remedied in the RS but it appaers to be an ongoing problem.

Frankenstein.jpg
    It's ALIVE!!!

...but a nice writeup! I think I would have started a new thread, rather than piggybacking on this necro.

Welcome to the Forum!
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#0002) of the DC .41 LC Society
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Quote Originally Posted by Dsmchariot View Post
    My friends and I recently gathered up the Kahr CW9, CM9, Bersa BP9, S&W M&P Shield and Sig P290RS and went to te range to see what everyone thought of the pistols. We had five shooters and we each had ample opportunity to run each gun through its paces. After every shooter had his fill, the consensus was that the BP9 was the favorite. It had a nice trigger with a quick reset although there was some concern that it did not have enough resistance. It also had a larger dot on the front sight which made it easier to see. The recoil was mild and straight up so follow-up shots were quick and easy. After this range session, two people from the group ordered a BP9.

The Kahr Cw9 was a solid second and functioned flawlessly but it just did not feel as good as the Bersa. The trigger felt too long and the sights were not as easy to use as the Bersa. It is a little lighter than the Bersa and slightly smaller but the Bersa adds an extra round.

The CM9 also functioned flawlessly and is a great choice for a pocket pistol. Being a smaller gun, it left something to be desired as far as grip length and feel. However, it is the only one of the five that would fit in a pocket easily.

We expected the M&P Shield to be the favorite but every shooter came away disappointed. The recoil was up and to the right making follow-up shots more difficult. The grip was not as comfortable as the BP9 or CW9 and the sights on the BP9 are more visible. The trigger on the BP9 also had a better feel. Would we be happy with the Shield if the BP9 and CW9 were not available? Yes, but unfortunately for the Shield, the BP9 and CW9 showed up.

The P290RS had some soft-strike issues but would fire using the re-strike feature. It was accurate but the soft-strike issue killed the gun. We had about six soft-strikes over seven magazines of six shots each. Way too many for our tastes. This issue was supposed to have been remedied in the RS but it appaers to be an ongoing problem.
    Good write up!!! Makes me wonder where the Walther PPS would've placed if included. But IMO the CW9 is still the epitome of the perfect CCW. At least for me.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links