Kahr and/or Bersa?

This is a discussion on Kahr and/or Bersa? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am thinking about getting something a bit smaller and lighter for CC. Looking at mostly 9mm choices, but also always like 45 ACP. In ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Kahr and/or Bersa?

Kahr and/or Bersa?

I am thinking about getting something a bit smaller and lighter for CC. Looking at mostly 9mm choices, but also always like 45 ACP. In my shopping around I have come across several posibilities from both Kahr and Bersa. I have zero experience with either of these brands, so I'm interested in hearing from those who have had experience. What do you think of either of these brands? Would you recommend them or not, and why?

thanks a bunch!!
    Cheers!

Joe
    NRA Benefactor Member
    Fortīs fortūna adiuvat

2. Remove Ads

I'm new to Kahr but have recently purchased a CW9.....love it. Nicely compact enough...only 7 +1 but I can live with that. I owned a Bersa .22 years ago and miss giving it up. From what I hear they are still making a great product. Many others here can give you personal info.
    And you know I could have me a million more friends, and all I'd have to lose is my point of view. -- John Prine (A Good Time)

I have a Kahr PM9 and like it just fine. I purchased it because I wanted something I could pocket carry. If you are not interested in pocket carry I would recommend the Glock 26 if like 9mm or the Glock 30 or 36 if you like 45.
    robhic likes this.
    "Lets Be Careful Out There!"

Ron

I have an old Bersa Thunder 9 ultra compact and it is outstanding. Very well made. My buddy has a Thunder 380 and it is a fantastic shooter. Very accurate and reliable guns at a good price. Bersa now has the BP9cc out and it is a single stack 9mm. Very nice handgun. I've handled a few but not shot them. They are overall a great gun at a great price. Very under-rated.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I carried a Kahr PM9 in a wallet holster for about a year. I bought my first Kahr, a P40 when looking for smaller, lighter, more concealable. After purchasing/carring a PM40, I got the PM9, the smallest of the bunch. Great guns, pricey. I just recently went back to a G27; just felt more comfy with the caliber, and I can shoot the heck out of the Glock. Although I can't hide it in a wallet holster, and I have to think a little harder about clothing options, it works best for me. Good luck-you can't go wrong w/ a Kahr IMO; I know several LEO's that love 'em as bugs.

Kahr PM9 in a galco OWB holster. Shoots just fine and eazy to conceal. I have never pocket carried so I cant speak to that.
    Last edited by soonershoote; March 25th, 2012 at 10:04 PM. Reason: Add comments
    S&W M&P 9c
    Ruger LCR + P (.38)
    Kahr PM9
    Taurus M851 (.38)

Quote Originally Posted by joepilot View Post
    I am thinking about getting something a bit smaller and lighter for CC. Looking at mostly 9mm choices, but also always like 45 ACP. In my shopping around I have come across several posibilities from both Kahr and Bersa. I have zero experience with either of these brands, so I'm interested in hearing from those who have had experience. What do you think of either of these brands? Would you recommend them or not, and why?

thanks a bunch!!
    Bersa used to be a Saturday Night Special, but they have obviously come a long way. I've never owned one, but they sure get a lot of high marks from owners.

Kahr is a relatively new player, but the CW/PM/CM lines are some great guns. I have a CW45 and a CM9. CW45 was my CCW of choice for a while, even though I really wanted something a little smaller. The PM9 was just a tad pricey, but when the CM9 came out, I found my gun!

Hope this helps.

Regards,
    Jim

I have a CM9 and used to have a CW9. Both were reliable after 200-300 rounds. They have an excellent trigger and are accurate, light & small. I have only fired the Bersa Thunder 380 and did not like it, but part of it was probably the 380 instead of the 9. The Kahr certainly feel better. Good luck.
    USN Retired

Kahr CW9 here...highly reliable and accurate. Their CW45 is on sale for $329 too....tempting. Definite preference in favor of the Kahr.

Quote Originally Posted by Chandne View Post
    Kahr CW9 here...highly reliable and accurate. Their CW45 is on sale for $329 too....tempting. Definite preference in favor of the Kahr.
    That is pretty amazing! Best bang-for-the-buck I've ever heard of for a CCW. If I see 'em for that price, I'll probably buy another, just for a spare!

Regards,
    Jim

I've had quite a bit of experience with Bersa. I have no complaints at all. Wonderful guns. Wish I could get mine back. I had a .380 and it performed flawlessly. Not 1 single malfunction in over several hundred rounds.

Wife has a P9 that has been very good... Have a buddy who carries a PM9 with problems.
    The magazines can be finicky sometimes(rounds want to nose dive) and they definitely need the break in period that Kahr recommends.
    Lots of good information on the Kahr forums about them.
    I'd buy another Kahr again.... I recommend.

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    The Kahr is going to be thinner than the Bersa. It's hard to find a gun that betters the Kahr line size wise.

I prefer the simplicity of the Kahr design.

I prefer the Kahr trigger to the Bersa.

Both lines are reliable.

I've owned 7 Kahrs and 3 Bersas. I'd prefer to carry the Kahr for the above reasons mainly.
    Hodad likes this.

No experience with Bersa, but I wanted a pocket pistol and researched for quite awhile and ended up with a CM9. I love it and it's surprisingly accurate and a good shooter for me, even with large hands. I have shot about 200 rounds with zero problems so far. The slide is extremely tight and Kahr recommends racking the slide about 500 times for a break in, plus the proper lubbing etc before shooting. I do wish the slide wasn't so hard and difficult to rack, but hopefully it will get better. All in all, I do love it though. Easy to pocket carry. Good luck. Steve

VIP Member
    I had a Bersa .40 that was completely reliable. Only complaint I have with Bersa is their magazines are hard to find, and expensive when you do. My wife has a Kahr CW9 and I have the CW45. Both are easy to carry and accurate. The Bersa is going to weigh more since it is all metal. Either one will serve you well, just depends on what you want.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links