why the constant cleaning? - Page 2

why the constant cleaning?

This is a discussion on why the constant cleaning? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; When I clean my Glocks, I take them to the range to insure I put all the parts back in correctly. I clean them (detail ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: why the constant cleaning?

When I clean my Glocks, I take them to the range to insure I put all the parts back in correctly. I clean them (detail strip) on the order of every 3000 rounds. They get 5 drops of oil every 1000 rounds. My 1911 series gets oiled every 500 rounds as they are tight and will have issues if not kept slightly wet.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder, I smell Victory in the Morning!

I, for one don't see how people keep such precise round counts through their guns. I could only give an estimate on any of mine.

As far as cleaning, I'm with you in this camp. I mostly ensure the feed ramp is clean, run a brush and patch thru the bore and chamber, and make sure behind the extractor is clean.

I use a light dab of gun grease on the rails, and barrel hood, and only take it apart to clean and relive every 3 months or so. I do a detail strip every year or two depending on amount of usage and my mood.

Another thing I have noticed is the Colt 1911 does not need the attention to keep running or the continuous lubing to run that everyone thinks.

When you think about it, since carbon is a natural lubricant, a light build up doesn't really hurt anything.
    jm38 and bigdog44 like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I, for one don't see how people keep such precise round counts through their guns. I could only give an estimate on any of mine.

As far as cleaning, I'm with you in this camp. I mostly ensure the feed ramp is clean, run a brush and patch thru the bore and chamber, and make sure behind the extractor is clean.

I use a light dab of gun grease on the rails, and barrel hood, and only take it apart to clean and relive every 3 months or so. I do a detail strip every year or two depending on amount of usage and my mood.

Another thing I have noticed is the Colt 1911 does not need the attention to keep running or the continuous lubing to run that everyone thinks.

When you think about it, since carbon is a natural lubricant, a light build up doesn't really hurt anything.
    I do 90 percent of my shooting on my land and keep a log on my computer. When I do go to a public range I just make a note and fill it in later. I am not so concerned with my handguns. I am very anal about it with my long guns. I do custom loads for those and need to keep track of wind conditions, temp, what load I used etc..
    surefire7 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array BurgerBoy's Avatar
    I clean mine every time after I shoot it.

I clean mine after shooting them for the same reason that I wipe down my sockets and ratchets after working with them, and before putting them away...I want them to last, and to be ready to use when I want them.

Deeply ingrained by my father...care for your tools, and they'll serve you well.

BurgerBoy, I just wiped my screen to kill that bug.

Twice.

I field strip and clean my guns after each use no matter how few rounds have been fired. It's how I was taught and it's a ritual I enjoy.

Because I like to do it, the gun likes it, and we both hate rust. Besides, other than shooting, what else are you going to do with it other than look at it?
    DanielC and bigdog44 like this.
    Light travels faster than sound...thats why some people appear bright before they speak

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Lets put it this way...If you never washed your vehicle, after years and years it would most likely still run, but may have a few problems due to no maintenance.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

It also keeps you up to speed on takedown/reassembly
    Light travels faster than sound...thats why some people appear bright before they speak

I field strip and clean my guns after every range visit, which is basically the only time that they are fired. Other than that, they are just wiped down periodically with a silicone cloth. I like to field strip them after they've been fired though. It gives me a chance to look for anything that might be out of the norm so I can correct it. I would hate to need a gun and have it malfunction because of some little something that I could easily have corrected after the last range trip.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Ok, thanks for the replys. I understand relaxing, pride, tinkering, how I was taught and all the other replys. I take pride in my guns, and none show any more wear than when I first got them. The main reason I asked is that the one and only time I had an FTE was after I had thoroughly cleaned my Gold Cup. Quickly shot a couple boxes, took it home and soaked it in oil. Took it back to the range, shook it, and fired off two more boxes, Everything was as it should be.
    And I would, and have, trusted my life with my guns. No matter which one I grab, they never fail to go bang when the trigger is pulled. And in the end, I guess that's all that really counts.

My M&P .40c has never failed me on the range at least. Luckily I haven't, and hopefully never will, found an need for it outside the range. I clean it after every range outing, and give it a wipedown every couple weeks if I don't make it to the range, just to get rid of the lint and stuff that builds up over days of carry. Generally my range trips involve 100-150 rounds through mine. Piddly compared to a lot of you guys. After about 150-300 rounds without a cleaning I can notice the effect on the function. It's never once failed to fire, eject or make it completely into battery, but I can tell the difference. I'm not sure how to describe it, but rather than just feeling the normal recoil, when it gets dirty I can feel the slide moving back forward as well. Doesn't affect accuracy or reliability at that point, but I'm sure after a while it would affect the latter.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

A clean gun is a happy gun and also a well functioning gun. And keep in mind, if it's an everyday carry gun and not cleaned after a range session, it will have powder residue on it and smell like a fired gun. That may present problems if you have a LE encounter.

VIP Member
    I must have a sickness, I even clean my Glocks after every time I shoot them!
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links