why the constant cleaning?

This is a discussion on why the constant cleaning? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; After each range visit, field strip and clean, and quick inspection. After carry I take a look to make sure nothing is amiss and once ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: why the constant cleaning?

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    After each range visit, field strip and clean, and quick inspection. After carry I take a look to make sure nothing is amiss and once a week or so I wipe with a silicon cloth.

2. Remove Ads

I normally shoot 100 rounds at a time twice a month and I'll spend 1.5 hours afterwards cleaning it. When not in use I keep my P229 in my holster either on me or beside me at night. I could probably go a few months without cleaning it and I could direct this abnormal attention to detail to my Drill Sergeant in Basic Training in 1980 and my 16 years in the National Guard after that. I enjoy having a clean weapon and I like to go into my man cave too. :)

I usually clean mine after every two or three outings. That being said I'm attending a four day 1500-1600 round defensive pistol class the first week of April and I am going to start with the gun having about 100 rounds through it and won't clean it until after the class is over. This class will have some ground work in it too so it should be nice and dirty by the time the class is over. I'm just doing it as a kind of test of the gun.
    “A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” --George Washington

VIP Member
    I keep all of my stuff immaculate.

I can't help it, it's in the genes...
    multistage likes this.

Well, because even wall hangers can build up gunk on parts that should slide or move from just being in a house. Frying bacon and cooking alone can send grease and residue into the air that will collect somewhere.

Just look at the ceilings, walls and appliances of most kitchens compared to the rest of the house.

So, just hanging there the weapon can build up crud on it.

But now for the real reason?

Because I love the smell of Hoppe's #9, and so does my daughter, Spawnette. She says she would wear it as perfume if she could.

To me, the odor of cleaned guns smells like....victory.....because the loser in any life and death fight seldom gets to clean their own gun
    Fortune Favors the Bold!

I was a bit lax with my cleaning practice with my XDM and it never failed to fire or function. Then I was out with a buddy who cleans everything he owns nearly continuously, seriously I don't know how he finds time to sleep. 100 rounds and a quick field strip because he could start to see carbon and some got on his hand, Felix Unger is a wuss compared to him, but he was happy and it meant more time for me at the line. Well at the end of the day he did his final strip and guess what...he found a broken recoil spring. We put about 2500 rounds down range, he had about 1000 of those 500 of them on this gun. Not going into great detail on the gun as I have no idea the details of total rounds etc but let's say it was an exceptionally popular gun from a European company. This got me to change my ways and at least field strip after each range session in case something has decided it has reached the end of its useful life as I have not reached the end of mine.

I don't need to clean my weapons that thoroughly after each range day, but I guess that I need a reason to touch or play with them while unloaded.

It depends on the gun. Most of my guns, I keep somewhat clean, but don't worry too much about them. I will take the carry guns out sometimes at the office when it is slow and give them a once over. Take qtip and some FP10 and wipe them down, run a paper towel down the barrel to get the lint and excess oil out of it, then reassemble and wipe any oil that is on the surface off, then reholster. The lint and nastyness of carrying next to ones body is amazing sometimes.

However my TCP likes to be kept clean. I don't carry it very often but when shooting it, when it starts to get dirty after 150 rds or so, if I don't clean some of the gunk out of it, it starts to have issues. Micros seem to be a bit more pickey than full size guns from my experience.

A gun is a tool or piece of machinery, if you neglect it, it will give you problems. I change my oil in cars on a regular basis, so some maintenance on guns that are used regularly is warranted as well.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

My carry gun gets some lint sometimes when I carry in a deep concealed location, otherwise only after a good practice session do I clean and grease the rails of my Glock, following the 3, 2, 1 principle.

Quote Originally Posted by Doubledown View Post
    I was a bit lax with my cleaning practice with my XDM and it never failed to fire or function. Then I was out with a buddy who cleans everything he owns nearly continuously, seriously I don't know how he finds time to sleep. 100 rounds and a quick field strip because he could start to see carbon and some got on his hand, Felix Unger is a wuss compared to him, but he was happy and it meant more time for me at the line. Well at the end of the day he did his final strip and guess what...he found a broken recoil spring. We put about 2500 rounds down range, he had about 1000 of those 500 of them on this gun. Not going into great detail on the gun as I have no idea the details of total rounds etc but let's say it was an exceptionally popular gun from a European company. This got me to change my ways and at least field strip after each range session in case something has decided it has reached the end of its useful life as I have not reached the end of mine.
    Probably broke the spring from taking the gun apart so often.

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    I dunno...just the way I was brought up. Clean it everytime you shoot it, even if it was only one round.
    My carry guns get wiped off with a silicone cloth a couple times a week, just because of sweat...scuse me perspiration.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by boatail View Post
    Because I like to do it, the gun likes it, and we both hate rust. Besides, other than shooting, what else are you going to do with it other than look at it?
    My thoughts exactly!

cleaning = inspecting

inspecting = finding potential issues that can be a problem when and if you ever have to use it

Quote Originally Posted by lordofwyr View Post
    Well, because even wall hangers can build up gunk on parts that should slide or move from just being in a house. Frying bacon and cooking alone can send grease and residue into the air that will collect somewhere.

Just look at the ceilings, walls and appliances of most kitchens compared to the rest of the house.

So, just hanging there the weapon can build up crud on it.

I forgot that little plus...the smell of hoppes #9...nothing like it

But now for the real reason?

Because I love the smell of Hoppe's #9, and so does my daughter, Spawnette. She says she would wear it as perfume if she could.

To me, the odor of cleaned guns smells like....victory.....because the loser in any life and death fight seldom gets to clean their own gun
    I forgot that little plus..the smell of hoppes #9...nothing else like it
    Light travels faster than sound...thats why some people appear bright before they speak

I impose a rule on myself to clean each firearm after each use even though I'm not a huge fan of gun cleaning. It's too easy for too many dirty guns to get ahead of me if I don't have a plan to return them to the safe squeaky clean after each and every use, whether a single shot or 500 shots have been fired. All firearms have to be usefully sighted in as well. This is especially pertinent to rifles. It's annoying to know a firearm has yet to be sighted in or else is "on the blink" over some issue. Even the oldies need to stand ready.

Lots of reliability issues and gunsmithing bills may be avoided by attention to maintenance.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links