why the constant cleaning?

This is a discussion on why the constant cleaning? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Watching a ball game and cleaning my weapon after an outing is relaxing to me....

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: why the constant cleaning?

Watching a ball game and cleaning my weapon after an outing is relaxing to me.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by texasleaguer View Post
    I read alot of threads here, and the one thing I notice is the constant detail stripping and cleaning and oiling of autos. On new guns I understand. I wouldn't shoot anything that hasn't been shot before without taking a good look under the hood. But I read where after 50, 100, 200,... rnds the gun is stripped and cleaned and oiled again. I've been messing with Colt 1911s for over 35 years, and I don't think I've detail stripped and cleaned any of them more than once. They get oiled, shook out and wiped down as shot. Sometimes the shake out part is forgotten, but quickly remembered as the shooter in the next station complains about oil splash..lol. I can't remember the last FTF or FTE I've had. Granted, my 1911s are rather loose, being as most are war vets. But my Gold Cup Nat. Match, and LW Commander are more snug, and they work just fine too. And all get carried at one time or another. After a quick shake and wipe down.
    I guess my guns seem to thrive on neglect.
    So does the constant cleaning have something to do with the carry part? As in not wanting to oil up shirts or pants? Or is the constant stripping and cleaning taking the sharp edges off and just wearing the gun in.
    I know I'll probably get flamed for this question, but it's something that's got me puzzled.
    I think you're reading a lot more than you can think at the moment. Firearms and maintenance turn out to be a personal thing. Also platform and user specific to an extent. Nothing to be puzzled about actually. You make the call. If you listened to everyone else, you'd scrub away your pistol with a nylon toothbrush in no time. Common sense is key. These days I find more of that missing from society than respect. You obviously have predispositions about things.....hence
    I know I'll probably get flamed for this question, but it's something that's got me puzzled.
    We as humans cannot predict the future although if we're so inclined we can make the future what we want for ourselves. Quit thinking about what everyone else does and think for yourself. This alone will cut your question list in half if not by more. Nothing personal.....I'd like to help the whole world if I could. I know my limitations.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    We as humans cannot predict the future although if we're so inclined we can make the future what we want for ourselves. Quit thinking about what everyone else does and think for yourself. This alone will cut your question list in half if not by more. Nothing personal.....I'd like to help the whole world if I could. I know my limitations.
    I wasn't thinking as much as I was wondering if it had more to do with new guns as opposed to used guns. I understand all the reasons given. I also have reasons for doing it my way. So it's all good.

I enjoy cleaning my pistols. Not so much my long guns (more hassle). It's a good feeling to have a clean and silky smooth cycling action.
    But I don't really clean them much anymore. Kind of a torture test.

If my life would depend at any given time on a road race in my Every Day Driver... my tires would be rotated, my alignment would be better, my brakes would be new, my oil would be changed, my tank would be topped off... but just getting to work and around town isn't life and death :) And if my carry guns were just range guns... they'd prolly be dirty and a little bit neglected like my range guns are heh.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined." -Obligatory Founding Father Quote

Quote Originally Posted by jm38 View Post
    Did The monthly clean, bought some S&W stinky smelly stuff in an aerosol can. First time I have ever used this stuff, last time I will ever use this stuff. I thought Hoppes was bad, but this is really terrible. How do I get rid of the kerosine (or what ever) odor that floats from my pistol? I'm walking aound in a cloud of it. If I can smell it, so can every around me. I'm almost ready to soak it in lysol.
    Degrease and re-lubricate. You can buy a degreaser which is usually methanol and isopropyl alcohol. But other good solvents will do the trick as well. Wouldn't go too extreme like xylene or MEK. I'd be scared of what they prolly won't do to your baby.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined." -Obligatory Founding Father Quote

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    A firearm is a tool.....and its important to keep your tool(s) clean and lubed.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

I pay close attention to residue build-up, especially around the extractor, chamber and breech face. Other than that, I from time-to-time fire a high-pressure shot of solvent into the fully-assembled gun and let the black crap drip out of it, then hose it down with whatever lube is within arm's reach. Dry it repeatedly with towel, check it for general feel and I'm done. I might do this every 3rd range visit or before a match--so maybe 1,000 rds might go through before any cleaning to speak of. I do like to pull the slide, check for residue and brass build-up, and clean well enough to lubricate (don't like to add lube to a dirty part--that's not right).

While I do chuck up a bore brush in the Milwaukee and run it in the chamber, this is pretty rare, and I very seldom run a brush down the bore. I certainly inspect the bore for lead buildup, but really only to see if it's actually 'building up' and I don't bother to remove it anymore.

I believe an ultrasonic cleaner is in my very near future, and that I'd be well-advised to own one. But, close inspection for residue will still be part of the routine.
    “If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner.” T Bankhead
    National Mill Dog Rescue www.milldogrescue.org

I use to shoot for year . Round after round never clean. haven't had any problems with my Colts or Glocks. Then I bought a brand which just would work right without cleaning or feeding the right ammo. I sold that gun. I clean now cuz I enjoy it. Not because I need to

Quote Originally Posted by sid1 View Post
    For me it was just how I was brought up. Been doing it since I was a ladd. I actually tried not to, once after a trip to the range, but for some reason it drove me nuts.
    Ditto. My dad taught me a clean gun is a happy gun. :-)
    "Safety is something that happens between your ears, not something you hold in your hands. " Col. Jeff Cooper

Proud member NRA, VCDL, USPSA, IDPA & DADD ( if you have daughters, you understand )

Senior Member Array High Altitude's Avatar
    Because no one wants to open the safe and see this.......

MisterAvis likes this.

Wipe it down to get oils from hands off it. Clean it after use. If I do not fire it for awhile I will apply light oil.
    I am sure many of us over do it a bit.

therapy

Cleaning after shooting is what I was trained to do...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links