why the constant cleaning?

This is a discussion on why the constant cleaning? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I read alot of threads here, and the one thing I notice is the constant detail stripping and cleaning and oiling of autos. On new ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: why the constant cleaning?

why the constant cleaning?

I read alot of threads here, and the one thing I notice is the constant detail stripping and cleaning and oiling of autos. On new guns I understand. I wouldn't shoot anything that hasn't been shot before without taking a good look under the hood. But I read where after 50, 100, 200,... rnds the gun is stripped and cleaned and oiled again. I've been messing with Colt 1911s for over 35 years, and I don't think I've detail stripped and cleaned any of them more than once. They get oiled, shook out and wiped down as shot. Sometimes the shake out part is forgotten, but quickly remembered as the shooter in the next station complains about oil splash..lol. I can't remember the last FTF or FTE I've had. Granted, my 1911s are rather loose, being as most are war vets. But my Gold Cup Nat. Match, and LW Commander are more snug, and they work just fine too. And all get carried at one time or another. After a quick shake and wipe down.
    I guess my guns seem to thrive on neglect.
    So does the constant cleaning have something to do with the carry part? As in not wanting to oil up shirts or pants? Or is the constant stripping and cleaning taking the sharp edges off and just wearing the gun in.
    I know I'll probably get flamed for this question, but it's something that's got me puzzled.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I clean my edc often because it rides up against my body all day long and is fired regularly. Flaking skin, powder residue and sweat do nothing positive for the longevity of pistol servicability.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

I clean after every outing mainly because I enjoy it.

Peace of mind. There will be no rust.

cleaning my guns after shooting it is relaxing for me
    bigdog44 likes this.

I had a Ruger Mk II that had trigger reset issues once. I finally traced the problem to a spec of carbon fouling that made the trigger link sticky.

I pocket carry a lot, and after a few months, there is enough lint and dust inside the gun to potentially cause function issues, most especially with a hammer-fired pistol, due to the "hole" in the back of the slide. They get a quick brush-out and lube monthly, or sooner if they get fired.

Then there are the stories of police officers who neglected their sidearms, only to have them fail when they needed them most.

In the Army, the rule was simple - if you shot it, you cleaned it, as soon as possible. I'm sure that was a rule left over from the days of corrosive ammo, and was probably overkill, but I don't think there is such a thing as a gun that is "too clean." Of course, you don't want it drowning in oil either.

Treat your gun right, and it will treat you right. Boils down to that.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Do it to relax. No other reason.

Distinguished Member Array sid1's Avatar
    For me it was just how I was brought up. Been doing it since I was a ladd. I actually tried not to, once after a trip to the range, but for some reason it drove me nuts.
    Rotorblade likes this.

I do the field strip cleaning after every range outing. I don't break them down further than that though, no problems yet.

VIP Member
    1. I was brought up to take care of my things. Right, wrong or otherwise, I just got it ingrained and it bugs me not to do it.

2. My G30 rides in a holster with a sweat guard. It is between an undershirt and cover shirt. You would not believe the amount of lint/dust it gets in it over a month. Peace of mind, I clean it out.

3. My LCP collects a lot of dust/lint riding in my pocket (in a holster). I looks like it grew mold inside in a month. I have "torture tested" it by letting it ride for 3 months then shooting it, with no problems, but, again, for peace of mind I clean it monthly.
    Devilsclaw likes this.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

I run a patch through the barrel of my Glock 19 after every range trip and wipe off the buildup around the muzzle. I still haven't oiled the thing after 1,500 rounds, but I suppose I could spare a drop or two after I shoot this week.

Because they are OTG's(other than Glock) guns.,let the games begin!
    Last edited by Guest1; March 26th, 2012 at 08:14 AM. Reason: long night,can't spell.

Distinguished Member Array sid1's Avatar
    Ouch that hurt! touché

I like handling, shooting and working on guns. Got my first gun of my own 52 years ago and kept it spotless because I was proud of it. In the military you couldn't return your weapon to the arms room with a speck of dust and woe be to the guy caught walking around with a dirty weapon.

But the bottom line is dirty weapons malfunction or corrode. I don't know how dirty my weapon can be before it malfunctions, but I do know that it will work clean.

I clean it after every range day, be it 10 rounds or 300. It just makes me feel better carrying a gun thats clean. Why settle for 99.999% reliable when a little cleaning makes it even better. I detail strip my slides about every 500 rounds or so. Functionally, it probably doesnt do much, but it makes me feel good carrying a gun that I know is THAT clean. My carry guns dont have a speck of residue on them. Plus, I like to tinker.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links