Gun Prices Falling?

This is a discussion on Gun Prices Falling? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I went to my local shop the other day, just to say hello. I'm friends with the owner, so I stop in once in awhile ...

Thread: Gun Prices Falling?

Gun Prices Falling?

I went to my local shop the other day, just to say hello. I'm friends with the owner, so I stop in once in awhile to chat. In his New Guns counter, he had a S&W 642, for $325. I used to have one, sold it, regretted it, wanted another one ever since. I joked and said, "Hey, buddy, you got the price wrong on this, or you put it in the wrong counter."

A couple of years ago, when I bought my first 642, I bought it used, and it cost me $350. A brand new one for $325? I honestly thought he made a mistake. I remember when new ones went for almost $400. He said, nope, that's the right price, and it's brand new, just got it in 2 days ago. "Well why so cheap," I asked. He replied that a number of gun companies were dropping prices on their more popular items; S&W were lowering prices on the 642, M&P, and Sigma line. He couldn't explain why, it was something he'd just noticed recently.

Needless to say, I took advantage, and put money down on it, so I should have a brand new 642 within a couple of weeks. Has anyone else noticed prices on guns and ammo dropping recently? I first noticed ammo prices going down about 3 months ago; although I reload, I still will buy a box on occasion, especially for .25ACP, since I don't reload that. Stufff seems to be $10 cheaper than it was a year ago.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    $325 is a great price for a new 642. Less than a year ago they were selling for $398 new down here. I haven't priced one lately though.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector71 View Post
    $325 is a great price for a new 642. Less than a year ago they were selling for $398 new down here. I haven't priced one lately though.
    I know! I couldn't believe it, and I definitely couldn't pass it up. I love the 642, but a couple of years ago, I had some financial troubles, like most of the country, so it had to go. I sold a few guns, but selling that one bothered me. At least it went to a good home; a friend of mine bought it, and promised to shoot it often. :)

VIP Member
    S&W dropped trouser a year or two ago on a few models, including the 637.

I paid in the high four hundreds for mine back in 2009, and you can find them just about anywhere in the mid-three's now.

I don't see it as a trend among other manufacturers, though.

I've noticed prices on Buds getting higher recently.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

VIP Member
    Demand generally drives prices.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Distinguished Member Array sid1's Avatar
    If this is correct I hope it trickles my way

If walmart actually does get back into the handgun market as has been reported whatever models they carry will be sold to the public for less than the cost of the gun to most if not all dealers. This is of course assuming they follow the same business model of driving the price of items to below the cost of their competitors until they force the competition out of the market.

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    S&W dropped trouser a year or two ago on a few models, including the 637.

I paid in the high four hundreds for mine back in 2009, and you can find them just about anywhere in the mid-three's now.

I don't see it as a trend among other manufacturers, though.
    Yea, I thinks it just SW. They stopped the rebates and priced them in. It seems like they were trying to keep pace with the LCR also.

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    I haven't really noticed prices dropping...only availability. Lots of empty space in the handgun cases, as well as on the ammo shelves.
    Long guns seem to be unaffected, so far.
    Just what I'm seeing locally.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Just noticed a "Cheaper than Dirt" banner on this forum advertising "lower gun prices" or something to that effect.
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    Same here... Seems mine was like $435.00.
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

Links