Votes: 28 42.4%
  • Walther PPS

Votes: 14 21.2%
  • S&W 642/442

Votes: 24 36.4%

Choose my next carry gun

6K views 23 replies 16 participants last post by  10thmtn 
#1 ·
Some of you may remember a thread I posted a while back concerning my first carry gun, I went with a gen 4 Glock 23 and have been very very happy with it. I shoot it well, it fits my hand well, and in my galco king-tuk holster it conceals very well with the right clothes. What I'm realizing however, is that it takes a little more effort to conceal it in the summer time when I have to leave my sweatshirts, jackets and flannels in the closet. It covers pretty well with a loose button down shirt but I think for real summer wear- I may want a smaller gun. To some extent I'm dreaming a little since I probably won't get my mitts on anything for real until my birthday in July but for discussion's sake-

I've narrowed my choices down to 3, though I am open to other suggestions as long as they are within the same size range.

-Glock 27- it would share mags with my Glock 23, it's also .40, the manual of arms is the same, essentially the gun is identical to the one I have- only smaller. I've shot a Glock 26 and did pretty well with it and liked the way it felt. This may be the safest option.

-Walther PPS- in this platform I may err towards 9mm for a little added capacity. I haven't shot one yet but I have held and drooled over the PPS on more than one occasion and I REALLY like how it feels. The obvious advantage the PPS has over a Glock of any flavor is that it's much slimmer and would be more comfortable and more concealable IWB. I'm not sure how easy it will be to get used to the different mag release but I haven't heard anyone REALLY have problems with it. I like that the PPS field strips and operates the same as the Glock, save for the mag release.

-Smith 442/642- A friend of mine got a 642 recently and I really like the way it feels but haven't shot it yet. My experience with wheel guns has been limited and they have admittedly not been my preference overall. However, I recently received my grandfather's old S&W 686 and I have been getting gradually better with it- I really like that gun too! The advantages of the J-frame are that I could put it in my pocket (though, I'd have to rearrange a lot of stuff since I carry too much in my pockets as it is) and a 642 is significantly cheaper than either the PPS or the Glock 27.

See less See more
#2 ·
Gen 4 G27 of course. That's my same exact set-up to have different options; however, I have a Nano in the mix as well if I need something one step smaller than the G27. Just be prepared to spend some orientation time with the G27 as you will change your grip to 2 fingers instead of 3 on the mag well unless you do mag extensions which can defeat the purpose of being smaller.

#3 ·
I just picked up my PPS a couple of weeks back, I've put about four hundred rounds through it already and I can say for a fact that it is one fine pistol. IMO, outa the three that you listed, it's the best. I say the best only because it's the single stack that Glock should have made. Truthfully, it's very Glock like which makes it a awesome carry gun.. If you go with it over the Glock, I doubt if you'll regret it at all.

My vote was for the PPS. Get it, and you regret it; hey that kinda rhymed. :bier:

#4 ·
I am faced with the exact same decision. A few years ago I was robbed at my home while I was at work. I lost my gun collection that took 45 years to aquire. 25 handguns, my beloved double shotguns, and some very fine rifles. Uninsured unfortunately ! Now I am on a fixed income and cannot buy the high end stuff I always liked. Luckily, the thieves didn't get my Wilson CQB Compact so I am good except in the summer months when I just don't want to carry a 2 lb piece. They DID get my Kahr PM9 so I need to replace it. I had a Glock 26 and a Kel Tek 9mm which also were lost. I never warmed up to the Glock platform. I think I'm so used to the 1911 trigger that I wouldn't train with it enough to get familiar. The Kahr ran flawlessly but I know they don't all. I am thinking about a snubbie. All my old revolvers were S&W with the only exception one Colt Python and one Ruger Bisley. As I said, money's a concern now. I'm looking for a S&W priced right but also considering a Taurus. They can be had for under $300. In a Mika pocket holster I would only have $300 invested. I hate to buy a Brazilian gun but I do believe that the Taurus revolvers are reliable. Not the fit and finish of a Smith, certainly not with the customer service, but perfectly adequate, and priced right. What do you other members think ?

I don't want a Glock. I don't want to spend the money on a Kahr. Should I save for a Smith or just go for the Taurus ?

I bet I can predict the answer :embarassed:...Tom

#6 ·
CW9 or airlite 642, get 'em both if you can.

#7 ·
I voted for the PPS since I am entitled to my vote. I like S&W, Glocks and 1911s. I think the PPS will work as a nice "other" carry gun for you. It is slim and it is full of features. I don't own one but I shoot with a guy who has one and I get to shoot it a bit. I like it at the range. It looks like it would be a good carry gun for me but I have many others already. Well made and more "high end" than some of the other brands. They go on sale from time to time. Cabelas just have them on sale last month. Since you already have the 40 cal it will be nice to have a smaller option. Not that it is a bad thing to have different calibers. Just more to keep track of and train with.

#8 ·
Thanks for the valuable input fellas. As an additional question, I would like to teach my current GF how to shoot a handgun but she is very small- 5'1'' 100lbs, with very small hands. Which one of these would be easiest for her to shoot? I would guess the PPS in 9mm, but the Glock 27 with a 9mm barrel and Glock 26 mags isn't out of the question, nor are some really light .38 loads in a 642- though the heavy trigger may prove difficult.

How well she could shoot the gun isn't a major decision point since this is a gun for ME and not her but might push me in one direction or the other if the decision was a close one.

#11 ·
If you get the ruger LCR in .357, the recoil on 38+P will be nothing. It is the design of the weapon., and it is lightweight... under 17oz when loaded

View attachment 57767
AZ makes a good point here as well...she can shoot the .38's and you can carry with full bore .357 mag. Would be a good choice as well.

#10 ·
I've only shot the Block, so out of your options listed I would choose it. However, try looking at the Springfield Armory compacts and sub-compacts. I've owned/own several and they are all great. If you get an XDM you would have the interchangeable backs traps to help in fitting your ladies' hand and you could get it in .40 or.45 and throw a 9mm barrel in there for her as well and she would have a gun that fits her hand, and in 9mm. When she's done shooting you can throw your other barrel back in and you're ready to go.

#14 ·
While I am not a Glock "all the way every day" guy, I have to say the G27. I am completely satisfied with the G26 and wish I had got the G27. There is just something about it that gives me confidence when I shoot it.

Regards!

#15 ·
Well, it looks like I should give the LCR .357 a look. After taking a gander at gunbroker it appears to be at a similar price point to the others on my list and I've heard some pretty sparkling reviews. Next time I'm at the range that has rentals I'll see if I can run a few rounds through one, and a few of the others on my list for that matter.

Might I inquire as to the trigger on the LCR? I know it's going to be a long and probably heavy double action pull but I think I can get used to that as long as it's smooth and breaks cleanly. I know what to expect from a Glock trigger and the one on the Walther is essentially the same so I know what to expect there.

#17 ·
It's not just azchevy. The LCRs are well known for better triggers than the Smiths, out of the box. Love mine, got the .38 for lowest weight, best concealability. That's just me. The .357 is a good choice, too.

#21 ·
I suspected someone might answer like this haha. The truth is my body type isn't all that conducive to concealing a handgun in my waistline without some fairly loose clothing. I'm about 5'8 and 195 lbs- I could stand to lose about 30 pounds (and will by my birthday). As it stands the love handles push the grip out and it prints a little, is it THAT noticeable? Not really, but I wouldn't be comfortable concealing with just a t shirt or polo. A bit smaller gun would give me a little more peace of mind about staying concealed in the warmer half of the year even after I get skinny.

#22 ·
Here's something else to consider...keep the gun you have, and try the Smartcarry. If you don't like it, you can send it back. If it works, you spent $55 and saved yourself from having to buy another gun.

You could carry your G23 without any shirt at all, if you so chose to. I'm wearing one right now, with a Glock 30.

Wear pleated pants, and it will disappear. I wear mine to the left (I'm right handed) so the barrel has room down my left leg.

Another consideration - if your pockets will take a snubbie, they will also take a Glock 27. The Glock is heavier, of course, but has twice the rounds, less felt recoil, better sights, and a faster reload.

All your choices are good guns - will really depend on which you shoot best.

#23 ·
I like the fact that the smartcarry would provide excellent concealment but I'm a little apprehensive about the fact that the holster is soft and thus wouldn't do anything to prevent an accidental pull of the trigger. My preference is to carry condition one and I wouldn't be comfortable with that in a cloth holster with a weapon that has no external safety. It also troubles me that it would be very difficult to draw from while seated in a vehicle and it appears to require two hands and quite a bit of effort to re-holster the weapon. I'm glad you like and are happy with your smart carry, and I appreciate your input but I don't think it's the holster for me.

If however, there were another holster/belt solution that would make my Glock 23 a little more concealable I would certainly look into it, I just have a requirement that any holster I purchase must protect the trigger. Being easy to draw from and easy to re-holster are definite preferences as well.

#24 ·
You can cut a piece of plastic from a milk jug and insert it into the Smartcarry if you want additional protection for the trigger. You are not going to be able to pull the trigger from the front. I've tried (unloaded gun, of course).

Drawing is fast - no need to untuck a cover garment if you wear your shirt tucked in. You can do it one-handed (suck in your gut), and even with your off-hand (just turn the palm out). Think of it as a low appendix carry.

Re-holstering is slow, no question. I do not see a need to re-holster in a hurry.

Drawing from a seated position just requires popping up out of your seat a bit. No big deal.

Anyway, hope that helps. For the money, I'd recommend you at least try it. Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.