Gun purchase.

This is a discussion on Gun purchase. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What gun would be good for home defense and concealed carry? I'm new to guns but have gone to the range a few times with ...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By peckman28
  • 1 Post By Bark'n
  • 3 Post By genauwiedu

Thread: Gun purchase.

Gun purchase.

What gun would be good for home defense and concealed carry? I'm new to guns but have gone to the range a few times with friends to shoot and have shot a .22 up to a .45 in a few different brands. Thanks for any advice you guys can give me.

2. Remove Ads

A reliable handgun in at least 9 mm if going with semi-auto, or .38 Special if getting a revolver. My advice would be to try and find a range that rents handguns, find one that fits your hands best and offers trouble-free function, and buy it. Good luck.
    scgunlover1 and Secret Spuk like this.

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    A .357 magnum works for me, but I live in the back country and don't have to worry about disturbing the neighbors.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

What you ask is probably one of the single most difficult questions for us to answer Why? Because there are so many different gun types, styles, sizes, actions, and calibers that there are literally a near infinite number of choices a person could choose from.

Here are a few guidelines. And certainly they are not all inclusive.

First, you should strive to get a gun in what is generally recognized as a reliable defense caliber. Even that is subjective. But generally no smaller than 9mm or .38 special. (If you are looking at a revolver in the .38 special, then you should probably go ahead and get a .357 magnum. Why? Because you can shoot both .38 special ammo as well as full power .357 magnum loads if you so choose. Some people have .357 magnums and only shoot .38 special. But at least you have to option to shoot the magnum loads with the same gun if you choose to do so).

Second, and again this is general information. But you should use the largest caliber that you can shoot accurately, quickly and comfortably. You don't want to choose a .44 magnum if the gun jumps out of your hand every time you pull the trigger and you can not hit your target.

Next comes the size of the gun. Especially if you want to carry it for concealed carry. You want a gun small enough and light enough that you won't want to leave it at home. You really should become committed to carrying a gun full time, every day where ever it is legal to do so. You will NEVER know the time or moment where you will need it to defend yourself. NEVER! The world of karma has a sick and twisted rule where the one and only time you really gonna need it, is when you leave it at home. Carry the damn thing all the time. It's a commitment, and over time, will become a lifestyle you become accustomed to, and will embrace it.

You should be aware that everyone tends to want the smallest, lightest weight gun they can find. Because they want to feel so comfortable carrying the gun that they don't even notice it. Just bear in mind, small tiny guns are really not for the novice. Small, tiny lightweight guns are harder to shoot accurately. Have a markedly harsher recoil which you may find harder to control. That's not to say a novice can not learn to master a small, sub-compact gun... It's just going to take a longer commitment to learn to shoot it well. So you are going to have to strike a balance. Just be aware, that the larger sized guns can be just as easy to conceal and just as comfortable given the right holster, belt and clothing.

Finally capacity. And this goes directly to how big and heavy gun you want to carry. You have to anticipate that you will likely face more than one attacker. Bad guys, being the cowards that they are, tend to travel in groups. Two, three or even more. That's not to say you won't be attacked by a lone bad guy... But the odds are, there will be at least two of them. Do you think you'll be able to handle two or three opponents with five, six or eight rounds, or would you rather carry a gun which holds 10, 14, or 18 rounds without having to reload.

Picking a firearm is a very personal thing. It's something you may need to save your life. Choose carefully.

The good thing is... If you buy a gun that just isn't working out for you, you can almost always sell it quickly with either no loss in money or a very small loss. Often times, you'll find, you may even make more money than you paid for it. So if you get a gun, you don't like... Don't sweat it too much. You can easily sell it. And knowing that, may even help ease some of the burden in making a choice.

Good luck on your quest.
    Mike1956 likes this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Bark'n gives some good advice.

The only other questions/comments I have are.

Do you intend to keep your number of firearms small, or do you plan on building a collection over time. (ok, you might intend on keeping the number small at first but that may change ). If you intend on only having a limited number of guns, caliber may be very critical. Price of ammo ranges greatly depending on which caliber you pick. 9mm being about the cheapest in the semi auto catagory.

There are some manufacturers that offer compact version of the gun, for instance Rugers SR9C that comes with a smaller carry magazine and a larger 17 rd range or home defense mag. S&W, Glock, Springfield you name it pretty much you can do the same thing whether or not they come packaged that way. Add more capacity longer grip for range use and smaller for carry. Sort of the best of both worlds.

I certainly will add my name to the list of avoiding micro pistols for a first or primary gun. They have a very limited use in my mind.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Just be prepared to try/buy/trade a few different guns and accumulate a box full of holsters. Finding the perfect carry rig seems like a lifetime journey.
    sid1, Bark'n and Diddle like this.

G19 3rd gen. Not bad price point. Reliable great to shoot. cheap to shoot. Very shootable. A lot of these sound similar but this gun really is super easy to shoot well. Mine came with the Ameriglo CAP sights. Very instinctual and natural to line up. When I say shootable I mean you can shoot this thing all day and never get tired of it. It is thin and concealable. Since I purchased my 19 I rarely carry my XD.

Since I mentioned the XD I do love it as well. It is a very smooth firing gun. I personally like the trigger better than the Glock. The Glock is just kinda different anyways. I personally carry an XD40SC but for home defense and carry you could go with the slightly larger models or the M 3.8 rather than the 3'' that I have. Never shot a 9mm xd. I assume due to smaller mass of projectile that felt recoil will be less. I haven't looked at the difference in weight between the two if there is one.

Either way if you are looking for a do anything gun I would go 9mm it gets the job done and is cheaper to shoot than the larger calibers. And personally of all the guns I own if I had to grab just one to take with me on a 6 month trip or whatever crazy situation you can think of I'd grab the G19.

One last thing. Bark'n hit on a good point. A lot of people like carrying the smallest lightest thing they can. . . I have a KT PF9 and it's light and comfy to carry almost to the point where I don't remember I have it. But I can't shoot the thing for the life of me. My first shot is spot on everything after is anticipating the hammering my hand is about to take from the next few shots. My XD which is by far my thickest carry gun is blocky and heavy but very concealable as it's still relatively compact but I can pull it out and double tap exactly where I want to and turn to a second and third target and open up and hit where I want. it's a comfortable gun to shoot and it makes all of the difference. And they are correct your rig makes all of the difference. I have 5 setups for my xd I only use 2.

well, since you asked.... if you're tall, get a long coat and pistol gripped 12 gauge. The 12 gauge can't be beat for home defense, and when pulled from under a coat, the intimidation factor goes off the charts.

Bark'n pretty well sums it up. But I'll add my 2 cents. Never, and I mean NEVER let your friends decide the right gun for you. If they love it so much, they can buy it. You buy what feels the best to you, and by all means buy the best you can afford, or just save up and buy the best. Good enough won't cut it for defensive. Get used to it, put at least a minimum of 500 rds through it using two hands, strong hand and off hand. Practice pulling and firing.
    I'm of the belief that if you can hit your target at least 5 times in rapid fire, from all three hand holds, most any caliber will work. If you're looking for 50yrd accuracy, you'd be better off leaving the scene than pulling your weapon.

Peckman28 summed it up well, try everything you can that you think you may want, and be prepared to buy a few more after you decide on one. Thats just the way it is. It's like a pair of pants, there is not one that you will wear all the time.
    Light travels faster than sound...thats why some people appear bright before they speak

Glock 19
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

VIP Member
    What Bark'n said.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by boatail View Post
    Peckman28 summed it up well, try everything you can that you think you may want, and be prepared to buy a few more after you decide on one. Thats just the way it is. It's like a pair of pants, there is not one that you will wear all the time.
    So very true. I have been carrying for the last 14 months and have owned 7 guns in that time. I kept getting smaller and smaller guns, but by the time I had worked my way down to a Kahr CM9 I had to re-evaluate. I want a gun I can use and use well. Now I am back to a commander length 1911 and loving it. A gun should go in a holster on your hip, not in your pocket. Just my preference. You'll find your preference too.

I think an M&P9c would fit the bill.

I would recommend a Glock 19. But if you have a range that rents guns I would go and try a few models before you buy.

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk

Links