Sig P-229 DAK or DA/SA?

This is a discussion on Sig P-229 DAK or DA/SA? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am in the process of buying a new Sig P-229, I have tried the DAK and the da/ sa firing actions, and like them ...

Thread: Sig P-229 DAK or DA/SA?

Sig P-229 DAK or DA/SA?

I am in the process of buying a new Sig P-229, I have tried the DAK
    and the da/ sa firing actions, and like them both. Can I have some
    comments pro and con on both? IM stuck and could really use some advice here.
    quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    ExSoldier did a range test on a P229 SAS (DAK trigger) about a month ago in this thread:

http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=11890

I've heard a lot of good talk about the DAK, although I've had very little exposure to it. I carry a DA/SA P229, and with the exception of the heavy first DA pull, I have absolutely no complaints. Let off is crisp, and the SA pull is quite light (about 4.5 lbs). The big plus I see to the DAK is that you get a light (6.5lb) consistent trigger pull every time. My next 229 will be a SAS.

I'd swing over to the SIG Forum and check out some info over there as well.
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

Also like P229 DA/SA

I agree with P8riot that the P229 in DA/SA is an excellent system. I have this in a .40 caliber P229 and the first DA trigger pull is so smooth and light that it does not impair accuracy. Then the transition to the 4.5 lb. single action pull is easy, once you have practiced with the gun and know what to expect. I have no experience with the DAK trigger, but I presume it is good since it is made by Sig. There is something to be said for having the same pull on all shots, and not having to decock the gun before holstering.

For a carry gun, I'd highly recommend the DAK. Actually, should I add another pistol to my stable, it will be the Sig P229R DAK.

I'm used to Glocks, so the inherent simplicity of the DAK is foremost in my mind. While I've just dry-fired it, I've found the DAK trigger to be superb.

My Thanks to all who responded. I think i will go with the P-229R DAK
    based on my feelings and the advice given here, It will be used as a
    Carry gun in a Milt Sparks !H holster, here in fl it gets very hot and i
    have had very good results in the past with this holster.I just hope my
    Arthitus stays away, My Sig is Coming with Sig Nite sights and with a
    40S&W barrel and a 357 sig barrel as well.
    quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

VIP Member
    I am issued and carry on and off-duty a P229 in TDA in .40 S&W. I fired a friend's P229 DAK in 357 SIG and immediately fell in love with that great trigger which I find so much better (in my hands) that the comparable HK LEM trigger.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by srfl View Post
    I am issued and carry on and off-duty a P229 in TDA in .40 S&W. I fired a friend's P229 DAK in 357 SIG and immediately fell in love with that great trigger which I find so much better (in my hands) that the comparable HK LEM trigger.
    I'd have to second that! The DAK is one of the most impressive DAO triggers I've seen - and right out of the box at that!

This may be incorrect thinking, or really not an issue, but a friend of mine recommended the DA/SA over the DAK to me.

His thoughts...

The harder first pull would be more resistant to "stress" and won't fire as easily if you really don't mean to fire. Sort of a very minor safety if you will. (yeah I know, no finger on the trigger until ready...but with a stressful situation, who knows) Basically, as a SD gun, if you pull the trigger, you really meant it.

If something were to catch the trigger, maybe during holstering, the DA/SA would be more resistant (I would think proper technique would alleviate this issue)

It's not one of those "hair trigger", man-killin' guns the anti's and lawyers will try and pin against you.

Now, he does tactical training and response, and for him, weapon out and at the ready, maybe this fits for him.

I tried dry firing the P229 DA/SA and the change in trigger pull was no big deal, and locally I couldn't get a DAK without waiting, so I went with the DA/SA, maybe it's "safer", maybe not.

Either way, I've had it for a couple months now, and fired off a few hundred rounds, and the DA/SA is a zero issue. Not saying it's better, just isn't an issue for me.

I own 3 DA/SA Sigs, but I think I've learned to appreciate the DAK triggers. I've never been able to jump on the Glock bandwagon, but I understand the thinking behind them. The DAK design pretty much voids Glocks in my book.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by symbiont7 View Post
    This may be incorrect thinking, or really not an issue, but a friend of mine recommended the DA/SA over the DAK to me.

His thoughts...

The harder first pull would be more resistant to "stress" and won't fire as easily if you really don't mean to fire. Sort of a very minor safety if you will. (yeah I know, no finger on the trigger until ready...but with a stressful situation, who knows) Basically, as a SD gun, if you pull the trigger, you really meant it.

If something were to catch the trigger, maybe during holstering, the DA/SA would be more resistant (I would think proper technique would alleviate this issue)

It's not one of those "hair trigger", man-killin' guns the anti's and lawyers will try and pin against you.

Now, he does tactical training and response, and for him, weapon out and at the ready, maybe this fits for him.

I tried dry firing the P229 DA/SA and the change in trigger pull was no big deal, and locally I couldn't get a DAK without waiting, so I went with the DA/SA, maybe it's "safer", maybe not.

Either way, I've had it for a couple months now, and fired off a few hundred rounds, and the DA/SA is a zero issue. Not saying it's better, just isn't an issue for me.
    Actually, I tend to carry the DA/SA instead of my DAK - I'm not sure why.

I hope I didn't say something to suggest there was something amiss with DA/SA by complimenting the DAK.

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    Apparently the Vancouver PD is getting them and the testers had issues with the reset, it wasn't clear if it was the gun or people transtioning from their Berretta's to the Sig.

I think one of the best things about the DAK is the reset. It may be a bit longer than the DA/SA, but it is a very positive reset, meaning it is a crisp, clean click that can be easily felt so that you know exactly when you can re-engage the trigger. For me it works beatifully.

Ive had both trigger systems in a 229 and sold both.
    I would go da/sa over the Dak while smooth it was not to my liking shooting i could not shoot for crap with the dak system

Links