Smith and Wesson 4" Model 19 Range Update

This is a discussion on Smith and Wesson 4" Model 19 Range Update within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I piggybacked this in another thread and I wanted to say a lot more about it so I figured that I would start a new ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Smith and Wesson 4" Model 19 Range Update

I piggybacked this in another thread and I wanted to say a lot more about it so I figured that I would start a new thread.

I have always wanted a "combat magnum" aka 4" Model 19 but either timing, needs, or laziness stood in my way for many years. I finally found the exact, shot a little carried a lot, model 19-5 that came off the line in Feb 1984 recently and I pounced on it.

IMG_3856.jpg

I picked up a nice safariland holster for it and I couldn't be happier.

IMG_3814 (Large).jpg

I honestly don't know what else to say about this thing but it is amazing. I am beating my head against the wall for not getting one of these 20-30 years sooner. I guess I got all caught up in the 1911/Glock auto fad. Not until I bought my first smith j-frame, graduated to the LCR, then the Cobra with a little Taurus fail along the way did I begin to really appreciate wheel guns.

Most of you know I twist my own defensive rounds.... yeah yeah yeah jury, court, lawyers coming after me blah blah blah..... we are well past that stage in US history and frankly I don't care about all of that so please save the lectures

At any rate this things was made for 158grain bullets. The h110 made a big boom but kept good accuracy, the unique with the LSWCHP were the most accurate. In my testing from both 25 yards (no distance indication on target) and 15 feet (I wrote yds on targets for some reason, but it IS feet), the accuracy from a DA pull and one handed was more than acceptable. My velocities were right where I wanted them from all chambers and it operated flawless. the groupings were superior and this weapon can fire a lot more accurately than I can.

IMG_3843.jpg

IMG_3848.jpg

IMG_3850.jpg

All of a sudden this old girl has subtly pushed the autoloaders into safe duty.... and will ride shotgun with me on my many trail rides and offroad adventures. I am more than comfortable with it backing me up with some 158 grain gold dot goodness ... especially seeing the ak-74 is my full time truck gun.

After going through a few loads: 158gr Hornaday XTP, Speer 158gr LSWCHP, 135Gr Speer Gold Dots, 158Gr Speer Gold Dots.... loaded with three different powders: Power Pistol, H110, and unique and in both 38+p and .357 offerings I have decided that the 158 grain speer gold dots powered by 15.1 grains of h110 with cci mag primers in .357 caliber are going to be my carry round of choice.

IMG_3838.jpg

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love my G29SF and that would be my goto weapon but i think I am going through my time to appreciate wheelguns phase.... I hope it never ends. The trigger, the feel, the operation of this weapon.... I am very happy with it and I envy all of you fine men and women that actually had the privilege and pleasure to carry one of these on duty every day. Also note that the 1970 Colt cobra with 135gr speer gold dot 38+p is still my EDC.

At any rate, I just wanted to gush over the lines, feel, accuracy, and action of this fine, fine weapon and encourage every one of you to shoot one, if not own one of these fine pieces of American history courtesy of Bill Jordan and Carl Hellstrom, in your lifetime. Special thanks to guys like wmhawth and bmcgilvray on this site who have opened my eyes to the wonderfulness that is older revolvers. I have to attribute a lot of their photos and posts about them to my new found affinity to classic wheel guns.

Not too shabby. Nice and snug. I'll take it when you are ready to offload, if I don't have to get into a bidding war with Glockman.

I can honestly say this will be one of my keeper and pass down to family weapons when I go to Valhalla

Yeah. I kinda figured that. She's a dandy, well done.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    so the wheel gun is undergoing a resurgance with the new shooters

much like the mini-skirt...this is good to see

Quote Originally Posted by claude clay View Post
    so the wheel gun is undergoing a resurgance with the new shooters

much like the mini-skirt...this is good to see
    I have been shooting for 35 years.... does that qualify as new?

Yea azchevy!

I'm just basking in the glow of your new Smith & Wesson Model 19 and your enthusiasm. Good shooting and good loads. The Model 19 feels very lively in the hand and that's before a round is touched off! It points well with its "un-lugged" barrel and has nice balance. It was a fantastic, modern concept in its day that still has merit (along with six rounds) in this day of the stunted 5-shot .357 Magnum revolvers.

Great photos too that we can "have a nosey" around in.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Classic gun

The S&W model 19 is a classic gun, and I admire your choice. I have two of the model 19-5s, both in the 2.5 inch barrel length with round butt. These make very good carry guns and have a wonderful trigger feel. Accurate double action shooting is easy with these guns. The blued gun below is the standard finish, and the matte black gun was a special factory run for several law enforcement agencies.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Great gun - I have a 6 inch model I purchased in 1981, my first handgun. Still like to take it out every now and then, and its still as solid as the day I bought it.

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    A great gun. I've got several .357's but not the 19. Congratulations on your find
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    Good looking gun and good shooting.

Good for you! That's one I always thought I'd like to have.
    Chose a weapon that goes bang EVERY time!

VIP Member
    Great write-up AZ. I really have the itch for another wheely now.

I share the same enthusiasm for the wheel guns. I am on the hunt for a ruger police service six.
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    I can honestly say this will be one of my keeper and pass down to family weapons when I go to Valhalla
    I've had the same Model 19 for close to thirty years now and my enthusiasm for the gun has not diminshed. You scored a good one azchevy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links