For those of you who carry .22's for personal protection - Page 2

For those of you who carry .22's for personal protection

This is a discussion on For those of you who carry .22's for personal protection within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'll never carry a 22 for defense if I have a choice. "Too many duds" is right and you would probably have to fire 20 ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: For those of you who carry .22's for personal protection

I'll never carry a 22 for defense if I have a choice. "Too many duds" is right and you would probably have to fire 20 into a raging human to stop him. Bare minimum will be .380 but I carry a 9....or .357 Sig..or .45.

I love it for plinking and to kill squirrels and rabbits when zombies attack.

I still haven't found anyone who will let me shoot them in the face with it... To paraphrase Ed Head of Gun Site.
    A 22 in the hand is better than a 45 in the safe... Not the best but better than nothing... Seen alot of people very much dead from a 22.

A .22 in hand is certainly better than whatever in the safe.

That said, when you have small .380s like the LCP available, and 9mms that aren't too much larger like the CM9/PM9, I fail to see why you would choose to carry a .22, absent a medical condition/recoil sensitivity.
    Rhcmlc and Badey like this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post

That said, when you have small .380s like the LCP available, and 9mms that aren't too much larger like the CM9/PM9, I fail to see why you would choose to carry a .22, absent a medical condition/recoil sensitivity.
    Why do you care what other people carry?

Carry what you want, and leave the rest alone.
    kmagnuss likes this.
    ...because you never know when the king of England might come looking for back taxes.

- Richard L. Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post

You can shoot a .22 a lot faster than a .380, and still have excellent accuracy.
    kmagnuss likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Zepoll View Post
    Why do you care what other people carry?

Carry what you want, and leave the rest alone.
    I don't care what others choose to carry, as long as it is an informed decision. There's lots of new folks who come to these boards all the time to learn.

If you are willing to carry a handgun that uses a cartridge with a higher-than-average failure to ignite rate (ie, "dud rate"), and that fails to reach the FBI minimum penetration standard, then so be it.

Quote Originally Posted by Geronimo45 View Post
    You can shoot a .22 a lot faster than a .380, and still have excellent accuracy.
    I think your accuracy when under stress is a whole different thing than your accuracy when punching paper at a square range. And my little ol' LCP proved quite accurate while under the stress of a low light pistol class. It's all in your level of training. At least a .380 FMJ will exceed the FBI penetration standard. A .22 likely won't, when fired out of a pistol.

In addition, while shot placement is very important, it only counts if the bullet makes it to the vital areas buried inside the body. A perfectly placed bullet that does not reach inside far enough to do damage is no good. That's the reason the FBI has the testing protocol that it does - bitter lessons learned the hard way, involving the death of agents in the field.

Again, folks are certainly free to do whatever they wish to do. Just some info to consider.
    Last edited by 10thmtn; March 28th, 2012 at 09:51 PM.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

If I ever get into a gunfight, I sure hope all the other guy has is a 22....if he HAS to be armed with a gun. :)

This being a mass shooting type event has little bearing on ... well.. "Defensive Carry". When I was really young something very important was imparted on to me. If you're going to hit a guy, don't just punch him and wait to see what happens. You don't stop until the job is done. So I wouldn't be too concerned about what a single .22LR is doing to an attacker when I know full well that if I were to carry one, I would keep shooting until the job is done. And being so light and easy to handle, I could see carrying one with a great degree of confidence.
    bunker likes this.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined." -Obligatory Founding Father Quote

If you are fired on by a criminal armed with a .22, do you feel that you would be stopped by the rounds or would you be able to return fire to protect your life or the lives of your family?

22’s were designed to be a indoor game for the well off by a French man and was never intended to be a self defense and has its limits

A .22 is fine, just shoot em in the eye.

If you think you stand a snowballs chance in Hades carrying a .22 for self defense and have to go up against a bad guy carrying a 9mm, 40 or 45.....well I have some land for sale south of Orlando. Waterfront property with lots of wildlife (swamps and gators)
    ...just another thread on DCF that makes me shake my head and wonder where some of you got your firearms training.
    smolck likes this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by MilitaryArms View Post
    Neighbors shocked after 4 teens shot at Clearfield party

The kid was shot in the throat by a .22. The only damage was the entrance hole. The kid actually swallowed the bullet and doctors retrieved it from his stomach. Minor surgery and he was on the road to recovery, thank God.

Friends son Shot in throat with .22 - The Firing Line Forums

Something to consider.
    well, one would think it would be common sense....but not here.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chandne View Post
    If I ever get into a gunfight, I sure hope all the other guy has is a 22....if he HAS to be armed with a gun. :)
    If he doesn't have a gun, it isn't really a gunfight.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Administrator
    If a member does decide to carry .22 RF for personal protection I would strongly suggest that they invest in Match Grade ammo since the quality control is so much higher on the manufacturing end. Possibly something like Lapua Scoremax Silhouette.

At least make the best ammo selection of a poor defensive caliber choice.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links