For those of you who carry .22's for personal protection - Page 3

For those of you who carry .22's for personal protection

This is a discussion on For those of you who carry .22's for personal protection within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The only time I recommend .22LR, or any rimfire round for self defense, is for people who physically can not handle any of the centerfire ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: For those of you who carry .22's for personal protection

The only time I recommend .22LR, or any rimfire round for self defense, is for people who physically can not handle any of the centerfire calibers because of a disability or lack of physical strength.

I don't like rimfire ammo as a primary choice for self defense because of the reliability of primer strikes as pointed out by several others posting on the subject. And as QKShooter points out, if you do have to use a .22 or other rim fire, shoot the highest quality ammo that has a high quality control standard.

But they are definitely suitable for people who are disabled or otherwise handicapped and can not handle the recoil of your centerfire cartridges.
    10thmtn likes this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    If you think you stand a snowballs chance in Hades carrying a .22 for self defense and have to go up against a bad guy carrying a 9mm, 40 or 45.....well I have some land for sale south of Orlando. Waterfront property with lots of wildlife (swamps and gators)
    ...just another thread on DCF that makes me shake my head and wonder where some of you got your firearms training.
    You have to fight with what you can fight with. People who are disabled have every right to use firearms they can control for self defense.

Granted, there are shortcomings with the .22LR, but the fact that your opponent is using a 9mm, 40 or 45 is totally irrelevant if he's missing you, and you are drilling him in the eye socket with your .22 LR.

Or maybe you just don't recognize people who are handicapped not being able to shoot anything else as worthy of defending themselves.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    well, one would think it would be common sense....but not here.
    Say Mr. FriendlyPants, judge much? Making this personal will make it no fun at all. I may decide to carry an automatic pencil as my primary means of self defense, and for all you know I might be a ninja with it.
    Dadsnugun likes this.
    Dave

"When among wild beasts, if they menace you, be a wild beast."
    -Herman Melville

Senior Member Array High Altitude's Avatar
    What about the LEO that shot a perp 5 times COM with a .357 and the perp shot the LEO once with a .22lr. (shot twice but his vest stopped the first bullet)

http://www.odmp.org/officer/420-troo...-hunter-coates

LEO died, perp lived.

22lr hit the heart.

Shot placement will get you everytime if you get enough penetration.

22lr wouldn't be my first choice of course, but if it was my only choice I wouldn't turn it down.

How about we use .40S&W

Officer Down: The Peter Soulis Incident - Below 100 - LawOfficer.com

If you don't get a CNS hit, and your adversary decides to stay in the fight, you better have the firepower and tactics to outlast them.

Put a couple in the chest and if that doesn't work, go head hunting, because while the guy is bleeding out, he will have plenty of time to fire everything he has at you.

Administrator
    Ideal or not - some members - due to age or recoil sensitivity or hand strength or a host of other reasons AKA possibly they only own a .22 - anyway they WILL carry a handgun chambered in .22 LR for self-defense.

If the BG is right on top of them and they need to (last ditch) empty a mag or cylinder full of .22 directly into the face of the perp it's going to give some bad guy a really bad day.

Is is an ideal self-defense scenario? No it is not but, folks need to run with whatever they can handle...for whatever individual reason they have for packing a .22.

The Silhouette .22 ammo is harder hitting w/ a heavier bullet and so I think that is a better option than the lighter hyper-velocity types of .22 RF.

It is more expensive though than regular cheapo bulk produced .22 but, they should opt for that to help negate some caliber and quality control disadvantage.

I'm sure so many of you could shoot a moving BG in the eye socket under stress with hardly enough time to do anything but draw and shoot. Lay on that the adrenaline dump and it's truly miraculous. Yeah, really likely, I'm sure...being a forum of such experienced sharpshooters. ;)

If that is all you can truly handle, it makes sense.

Boy, only took three pages to turn ugly here... just sayin'
    "6 P's of self defense "
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

Quote Originally Posted by Chandne View Post
    I'm sure so many of you could shoot a moving BG in the eye socket under stress with hardly enough time to do anything but draw and shoot. Lay on that the adrenaline dump and it's truly miraculous. Yeah, really likely, I'm sure...being a forum of such experienced sharpshooters. ;)

If that is all you can truly handle, it makes sense.
    I think you missed the point, but that's okay. Shooting them in the eye was more of a metaphor relating to the inherent accuracy of most .22 LR due to the lack of any noticeable recoil.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

If you are going to carry a .22 for defense, then please do consider carrying a revolver instead of a semi-auto. The Ruger LCR is now available as an 8-shot .22. Takes care of the dud issue rather nicely, and is light weight.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

I have found it impossible to debate a point when minds are already made up. People will do what they do, and there's very little that can be done.

So, if you wanna carry a .22 rimfire, it's no skin off my back. Live or die by your own decisions. Nature has a way of thinning the heard, one way or the other.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

.22's aren't just for disabled people. I would like to point out an example. I have a good friend who is into guns as much or more than anyone around here. He is in his late 20's and used to serve in the special forces. I can't even count how many guns he owns in all sorts of different calibers. What does he carry, you ask? He carries a Walther P22 with a silencer and round-nose ammo. He is convinced this is the best weapon for accuracy, stealth, and killing somebody. Now, I think his mentality is more along the lines that he's not likely to be using it in a self-defense situation where he's taken by surprise, rather he's thinking more along the lines of 3rd party protection, such as when somebody comes into a business and starts shooting up the place. He feels that the silenced 22 is so stealthy that they'll never know where the shots are coming from so they won't be able to return fire.

Personally, I've only carried a .22 caliber as my carry weapon maybe 15 or 20 times in my life. I was not particularly afraid it wouldn't do the job. In fact my irritation comes more from trying to find a decent holster for a gun like a Walther P22.

I've been pretty lazy this last month and my main carry weapon has been a .32 caliber with FMJ rounds. I imagine as Summer comes nearer, I'll probably be carrying that more and more. I tend to carry the Glock during Winter.

I did an experiment a few days ago for a youtube video I'm working on. I wanted to compare the power of various BB and Pellet guns to a .22LR by shooting cans of spam. So far the highest powered pellet gun I've tried (650 fps) has only penetrated 1 and a half cans of spam. The .22 went through 6 cans and dented the back of the 7th can, which is like 6.9 cans of spam. Soon I'll be trying a 1200 fps pellet gun.. I am estimating 3 cans of spam.. we'll see.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Any gun can be lethal, but I think the point that the higher caliber proponents are trying to make is that larger caliber rounds do more damage to the area that is hit, and as a result, are MORE likely to end a conflict sooner (.22 caliber hole in heart or lung vs. 45 caliber hole... larger hole means faster blood loss, generally).

Carry what you want and feel comfortable with. Personally, I don't see myself carrying a .22, but I'm not going to judge those who do.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    Haters gonna hate. :)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links