Decision Time

This is a discussion on Decision Time within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Unfortunately, I live in Central Illinois. There are no ranges that rent guns, so I'm very dependent on the experience and opinion of you guys ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Decision Time

Unfortunately, I live in Central Illinois. There are no ranges that rent guns, so I'm very dependent on the experience and opinion of you guys to help me make decision.
    Glock 22 Gen 4 w/CBST
    Kimber Compact CDP II w/Silent Thunder
    A man, without force, is without the essential dignity of humanity. Human nature is so constituted, that it cannot honor a helpless man, although it can pity him; and even this it cannot do long, if the signs of power do not arise.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    While Kimber is a good gun, I'd go with Springfield Armory. You can get a new one for what they want for a used Kimber, and with the Springer, you'd have a lifetime warranty. Springfields CS is second to none.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Administrator
    Save up for a little while longer and buy a Colt Combat Commander. It's a lifetime investment that will hold its dollar value nicely if you just shoot it and carry it and don't fiddle with it or muck it up with regard to custom modifications.

JD
    Administrator
    If its a pre series II, I'd make an offer on it it as the price is too high imho.

This is the Compact with 4" slide and Officers grip, correct?
    Sent via Tapatalk...and still using real words.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    If its a pre series II, I'd make an offer on it it as the price is too high imho.

This is the Compact with 4" slide and Officers grip, correct?
    Sent via Tapatalk...and still using real words.
    You are correct.
    Glock 22 Gen 4 w/CBST
    A man, without force, is without the essential dignity of humanity. Human nature is so constituted, that it cannot honor a helpless man, although it can pity him; and even this it cannot do long, if the signs of power do not arise.

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    Brand new Ruger SR1911 has a MSRP of $799.00. That would be a brand new, made in America, very fine pistol from a quality manufacturer.

It's not totally a compact, but it's size is not that much bigger.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

I'm really in the market for an officers model. I did look at the Ruger SR1911, but I think it is a little big.
    Glock 22 Gen 4 w/CBST

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmacque View Post
    Brand new Ruger SR1911 has a MSRP of $799.00. That would be a brand new, made in America, very fine pistol from a quality manufacturer.

It's not totally a compact, but it's size is not that much bigger.

While it may not be "that much smaller" it is smaller where it needs to be.

The Kimber Compacts are the 4" slide assy. and Officers size frame. This size of 1911 is considered by many to be the quintessential carry 1911.

The Pre-Series II guns are usually better than the Series IIs, and the Pre-Series II CDPs have a very aggressive melt job that you won't find on many 1911s.

While I'm not a Kimber fan, a used pre-series II gun is a pretty safe bet provided that the previous owners didn't mess it up somehow.

VIP Member
    That is really to high a price for a used Kimber. I would follow along with others and get a SA or find a used or new Colt whatever suits your fancy.

I have owned and carried on duty several SA guns both stock and custom and they have never let me down.

"A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

VIP Member
    Get a COLT

Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

I would recommend you go over to 1911 forum and ask your question. There are alot of different sub-forums in regard to each manufacturer, you can talk to guys that have owned this pistol or own one now. I have owned or own now, 1911's from alot of gun makers ranging in price from $350 to $2500 and you can get a bad one from any of them, although less likely on your upper end guns. I will say though, that price seems a little high to me for a used one. IMHO....

Springfield Armory Loaded UltraCompact (Officers Model) or Champion (Commander Model). Both in stainless steel with nights sights for $850- $900.
    Lightweight Champion Operator is also a good option for around $950. I have the LW Champ Operator and can't seem to find a 1911 in the same price range I like more.

BTW, I moved from Champaign to Florida about 12 years ago. Go Illini!!

Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by claude clay View Post
    generally the ll refers to the generation of kimbers that have a firing pin block safety. some say that it changes the feel of the trigger, some don't
    The Kimber Generation II firing pin safety system does not have anything to do with the trigger pull. It is activated by the grip safety, not the trigger. Anyone claiming that it changes the feel of the trigger must have a vivid imagination.
    Also, check it to see if it has Kimber's old external extractor, which they ditched in favor of the traditional 1911-style internal extractor because of so many problems. Most 1911 people agree that the external extractor should be avoided.

The Kimber was being sold on consignment and I got a chance to talk to the owner. The gun has 50 rounds through it and I can believe that from what I saw with the gun field stripped. The owner has several other high end 1911's and is simply thinning out his collection. I got him down to $875. I know some of you think this is high, but I'm really liking this gun, and my searches don't reveal one any cheaper (remember that I'm in a small town in Illinois where shops with weapons on hand is very limited). I pulled the trigger on Wednesday and will pick it up on Monday morning. I ran the serial number through Kimber and found the gun was made in 2006.
    Glock 22 Gen 4 w/CBST

Quote Originally Posted by Illusive Man View Post
    The Kimber was being sold on consignment and I got a chance to talk to the owner. The gun has 50 rounds through it and I can believe that from what I saw with the gun field stripped. The owner has several other high end 1911's and is simply thinning out his collection. I got him down to $875. I know some of you think this is high, but I'm really liking this gun, and my searches don't reveal one any cheaper (remember that I'm in a small town in Illinois where shops with weapons on hand is very limited). I pulled the trigger on Wednesday and will pick it up on Monday morning. I ran the serial number through Kimber and found the gun was made in 2006.
    It sounds like you're getting what you want, in excellent condition, for a competitive price. Can't do much better than that. Report back when you've been to the range with it, please.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters.
    If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.
    --Alan Simpson

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links