Decision Time

This is a discussion on Decision Time within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I stopped by my LGS today and they had a used Kimber Compact CDP in the case. They are asking $950 for it and it ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Decision Time

Decision Time

I stopped by my LGS today and they had a used Kimber Compact CDP in the case. They are asking $950 for it and it felt great when I held it. I was looking on Kimber's site and noticed that they have the CDP II listed. I'm assuming that the CDP is an older iteration and was wondering if anyone out there can tell me what the difference is between the CDP and the CDP II and if there is any reason that I should pass on this deal?
    Glock 22 Gen 4 w/CBST
    Kimber Compact CDP II w/Silent Thunder
    A man, without force, is without the essential dignity of humanity. Human nature is so constituted, that it cannot honor a helpless man, although it can pity him; and even this it cannot do long, if the signs of power do not arise.

2. Remove Ads

Mimber.... pass

azchevy, can you explain your response. I'm looking for some imput before making this decision, so I need answers from folks who know more than I do.
    Glock 22 Gen 4 w/CBST
    A man, without force, is without the essential dignity of humanity. Human nature is so constituted, that it cannot honor a helpless man, although it can pity him; and even this it cannot do long, if the signs of power do not arise.

I feel that kimbers are overpriced and overrated for what you get. I would never spend that kind of money on a kimber. There are lots of other options out there that you should explore.

What would you suggest (I'm open to suggestions since this would be my first 1911 and don't want to overlook anything before I spend my hard earned cash).
    Glock 22 Gen 4 w/CBST

VIP Member
    A new Glock 19, a custom leather holster, a Crimson Trace lasergrip and several boxes of ammo for the same money would be my recommendation.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

I already own a G22 with a few good holster, and lots of rounds. I'm looking for my first 1911.
    Glock 22 Gen 4 w/CBST

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    I feel that kimbers are overpriced and overrated for what you get. I would never spend that kind of money on a kimber. There are lots of other options out there that you should explore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Illusive Man View Post
    What would you suggest (I'm open to suggestions since this would be my first 1911 and don't want to overlook anything before I spend my hard earned cash).
    Am not attempting to highjack this thread but I'm in a similar situation.

Last Saturday, I found a Colt LWT Commander XSE. Would appreciate your thoughts.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

Never had a problem with my Kimber, but mine is a Custom II Stainless that I bought new for considerably less than the one you are looking at. I think there may be some truth to the "hit or miss" theory with Kimbers, but if so they seem to be isolated to the smaller models. Have had several full size models, and they all ran great. There is one big problem with Colts: they are impossible to find, at least where I am. But 950 for a used Kimber in who knows what condition sounds a bit ambitious.
    Inspector71 likes this.

I would be allowed to check it thoroughly before purchase, and from what I'm seeing this gun goes for $1000 or better on gunbroker.com. I don't know much, and I don't really have anyone to walk me through what to look for on teardown, so I'm trying to gather all of the information that I can. If this is a good weapon for a good price, I don't want to let it get past me.
    Glock 22 Gen 4 w/CBST

I would get a Colt. I have a Government Model, 5" in .45 ACP that has quickly become my favorite 1911, between that and my Springfield (also very good) and my SIG 1911 (not worth its price).

Colt. Rock island armory. Springfield armory. All good choices. If Kimber dropped their prices about 30% they might be worth it.

I had three Kimber CDP II's...the Ultra, the Compact, and the Pro.
    I had no problems with any of them. Sold all three to buy five Glocks...no looking back.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I do agree with azchevy so far as getting a Colt, which should be quite doable for what you would spend on the Kimber. So far as RIA and SA, I have shot several but owned neither so I can't say. A friend owns a Gold Cup that I get to shoot all the time. All I can say is that I have never had any trouble out of my full size Kimbers. But az probably knows quite a bit more about 1911s than I do.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    generally the ll refers to the generation of kimbers that have a firing pin block safety. some say that it changes the feel of the trigger, some don't notice. as for value for the money---
    going by my experience with kimber, it has been excelllant for mine and friends. the 3" cdp i had which a friend now has is accurate and relialable even with LSWC's.
    my full size gold match has run 47K rounds and is excellant.

in that price range there are other options, the Sig Ultra weighs 5 ounces more. it also seems to twist in the hand when fired fast.
    its accurate but fussy with ammo.
    best is to find a range that rents and try them.
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links