1911 grabbing, but....I want...

This is a discussion on 1911 grabbing, but....I want... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK, I have about a $1,000 budget for some extra guns. I ran across today a Sig 1911 compact (4.25'') with a duotone finish and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: 1911 grabbing, but....I want...

OK, I have about a $1,000 budget for some extra guns.

I ran across today a Sig 1911 compact (4.25'') with a duotone finish and crimson trace grips...its lightly used and priced at $895, I think thats a a decent buy yes?

But, the cheapskate in me screams in my ear and says buy the cheaper Rock Island, for this money I could buy full size RI and a compact RI or ATI compact.

I hadn't seen much about the ATI guns, they are the same as the Ri's but don't have the lifetime warranty right?

or should I buy a fancy pants Kimber or the Sig and shut my piehole.

Colt if available. If I say Kimber, others will tell you no way. RIA makes an OK 1911, but for a couple hundred more I would (and did) get another Kimber.

Kimbers are more then a couple hundy more, I can get an RIA 5'' to my door for about 415 with FFL fee's

I have a full-sized SIG 1911 and honestly, I don't really recommend them. When I initially bought the SIG, it was when they were still called GSR 1911s, and after 3 trips back to the factory for persistent extractor problems, it was finally replaced under warranty. The warranty replacement gun came with an out of spec slide stop, and they had changed over to a far less pleasant trigger and grip safety since my original gun was made. So, I had a replacement gun that couldn't lock back on the last shot, ever, and it was less comfortable to shoot than the original had been. A Springfield GI slide stop fixed the problem, but overall I was not too impressed. I have a hard time finding any RIA owners bad-mouthing their guns. However, as far as the SIG goes, we just had a post a few days ago from a member who had the same problem I had, so I remain skeptical of SIG's 1911 line.

Good Info, I will scratch the sig.

I want a colt..but have a hard time with price and features, haven't convinced my dad to sell me his colt commander 70 series 1911.

Compact is a nice feature, I see RI has a mid sized model but haven't seen much in the lines of prices. or avail.

The Sig is a good gun as are the RIA's you mentioned but my money went with an STI Spartan III (low end for STI ) officers length.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vanagonnuts View Post
    OK, I have about a $1,000 budget for some extra guns.

I ran across today a Sig 1911 compact (4.25'') with a duotone finish and crimson trace grips...its lightly used and priced at $895, I think thats a a decent buy yes?

But, the cheapskate in me screams in my ear and says buy the cheaper Rock Island, for this money I could buy full size RI and a compact RI or ATI compact.

I hadn't seen much about the ATI guns, they are the same as the Ri's but don't have the lifetime warranty right?

or should I buy a fancy pants Kimber or the Sig and shut my piehole.
    If it were I, then I would get a Colt. There is just a difference of 1911 when you get to that price point. I get a kick out of guys who get 500.00 1911's and make a judgement on the whole platform based on that one purchase. Nothing wrong with a RIA or GI Springer, but they are what they are.
    OD* likes this.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Don't scratch the Sig just because one guy had a bad experience.

My sig is friggin awesome. There, now you're even.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    another vote for the C3.....awesome

no laser, i put on hogues and am up to 800 rounds.
    it took near 300 for it to learn it was a gun and runslike a champ now
    two more trips to the range and its my carry gun for sure

its not keen on CCI flying ashtrays nor LSWC's
    eats RN without a trouble--200 more rounds and it goes to work.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

If I couldnt get a Colt, or maybe Springer, then I would just save myself alot of wasted effort and get a darn Glock.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member
    You can get a new Springfield for about the same or less, depending on the model, as the Sig, and it will have a lifetime warranty on it.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

What's a hundred bucks one way or the other? Please buy one that's made in the U.S. There are some great ones......Colt, Kimber, Ruger and more.

Okay since no one had said anything I will recommend a ruger. I love mine and it has been great for several hundred rounds. I don't know that you can get more bang for the buck and its made in the good ol us of a

I'll throw in my $.02 about ArmsCor guns. I had a High Standard Crusader that ran beautifully! Shot like a dream and looked pretty to boot. Never had any FTF, FTE, or any major malfunctions of any kind. Right up to the point that the ejector bent enough to prevent the slide from moving. I figured it was probably just a part that fell below spec, since I seem to hear nothing but good news about ArmsCor firearms. Anyway, I sent it back expecting a few weeks to a couple months at the most. 3 months later I hadn't heard a peep about it. I had my gunsmith call in and check on it, and after a few days they got back to him and said that it was "unfixable." Great. They were nice enough to offer a replacement of a different model, but by the time I got a chance to go talk to my gunsmith, they had called him back and said that the original gun had shipped back. So I got the gun back a week later and guess what? All they had done was bend the ejector straight, rather than replacing it. On top of that, it had obviously been dropped and had a nice dent and a huge scratch on the rear sight. 2 magazines through it and the ejector was right back where it started and I had a nice paperweight. Customer service is a big deal to me, and that wasn't a real positive experience. IMO, if a company can't make a reasonable attempt to correct a problem, I want nothing to do with them. I traded that gun in towards a Taurus PT1911 and couldn't be happier.

Their guns are generally very high quality, but their customer service is unacceptable, IMO.

Springfield Armory Range Officer!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links