My Uncle Bought His First Gun

This is a discussion on My Uncle Bought His First Gun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just last Sunday during my uncle's farewell party before his deployment the following week (he is a Merchant Marine), he took me upstairs and showed ...

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar

Just last Sunday during my uncle's farewell party before his deployment the following week (he is a Merchant Marine), he took me upstairs and showed me a used Beretta 96 .40 S&W pistol that he recently bought at a pawn shop but have not yet fired it at the range, although he has some experience shooting Beretta 92Fs before for gun quals. There are some shortcomings that he had such as the pistol being costly ($600) for a second hand, not being test fired for reliability/performance tests, having only one 10-rd. magazine, no carry case or box included with it (wrapped in a plastic bubble wrap), and no instruction manual. He also has no idea what to buy for cleaning supplies and also didn't buy gun oil. Although I am proud of him taking the initiative to protect himself and his family, he should have consulted me first, which I told him before. Had he consulted me, he should have picked a gun for a reasonable price as well as a caliber that he is comfortable with. He also keeps the bubble-wrapped pistol in a conventional small safe that requires the use of a key to access it. He even did not load his 10 rd. magazine with Federal Hydrashock HPs and I had to load it for him and told him that keeping the mag unloaded is not a smart idea. I also showed him handgun basics, including gun safety as well as drilled him on ethical gun laws and deadly force. Well, once he comes back from deployment, I am going to take him to shoot it to the range, help him buy cleaning equipment for it as well as how to disassemble/clean/oil it and help him choose a more accessable pistol safe. For now, he gave me about $50 and wanted me to look for a pistol case and spare mag, which I recommended. And today, I successfully found and bought the 11-rd. extra Beretta 96 mag and a foamed pistol case. And, as an extra, I gave him some of my unused .40 S&W snapcap rounds so he can use them for dry-fire practice. It will be an honor grooming him like Lefty Ruggiero did with Donnie Brasco (lol).

$600 for a used Beretta 96? ouch.

VIP Member
    Jason, not sure where in VA your at, but by the time he returns, Colonial Shooting Acadmey will be open here in Richmond. State of the art range, 60,000 sq ft, with snack bar and retail store. Might be something he'd be interested in checking out.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Good to hear you will be taking him under your wing, it sounds as though he needs someone whith a good understanding of firearms and the safety that is involved in owning a firearm
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Jason, not sure where in VA your at, but by the time he returns, Colonial Shooting Acadmey will be open here in Richmond. State of the art range, 60,000 sq ft, with snack bar and retail store. Might be something he'd be interested in checking out.
    Going to check that out someday. Is it where you learn combat shooting and tactics? If so, I am going to include that and C2 Shooting Center into my list of tactical training centers in my state.
    BTW, I currently live in Hampton Roads.

Quote Originally Posted by kmagnuss View Post
    My parents are still reaming on him for that (lol).

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    Good to hear you will be taking him under your wing, it sounds as though he needs someone whith a good understanding of firearms and the safety that is involved in owning a firearm
    He's gonna be a lifetime project for me as I chip off some of the rough edges. Firearms may someday be a family affair since I indirectly inspired him to get a firearm for self-protection.

Quote Originally Posted by kmagnuss View Post
    Yup, even more expensive than my H&K USP that I bought brand new back in 1994 for $559. Other than that, never bought any gun over $600 with the exception of the AR-15.

Good of you to take him under your wing. Teach him well.

Links