Help with my weapon

Help with my weapon

This is a discussion on Help with my weapon within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a Warthog and my question is if you carry a round in he chamber without the hammer in the cocked position you run ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Bongo Boy
  • 1 Post By Ram Rod

Thread: Help with my weapon

Help with my weapon

I have a Warthog and my question is if you carry a round in he chamber without the hammer in the cocked position you run the risk of discharge if the weapon falls out of the holster, ok. When you pull the hammer back slightly it cocks but won't fire. Could you carry in this position? It seems with the space between the hammer and fire pin and locked it would not go off if dropped. Then I could draw and pull the hammer back and be ready to fire. It doesn't seem any different really than carrying fully cocked with the safety on. I can draw both ways just about the same. Safety is my main concern and I feel safer with I guess what you would call half cocked.
    Thanks Jim Stark

Well it doesn't matter, it's a series 80 fire control meaning the firing pin is blocked until the trigger is pulled. It shouldn't fire when dropped no matter what the position of the hammer... 1911's where designed for cocked and locked carry though. Good luck and good shootin!

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    it is designed for chambered, hammer back and the slide lock engaged.

any other method is conterindicated and carries an additional degree of danger when loading and handling the pistol.
    seemingly, it is only questioned by people new to the platform and lacking knowledge and confidance in it and themselvs.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Thanks for the information.

Yes, as mentioned, the trigger has to be pressed to move the firing pin block. So, it will not discharge under any circumstances unless the trigger is pressed. You're free (and safe) to carry the weapon with the hammer in any position you choose. My OPINION is this:

1) You should carry the weapon the way all training you might ever take will tell you to carry it--so that you are never at any time learning something 'new' to do. This is possibly the weakest reason, but I believe it's a valid one nonetheless.
    2) You should carry the weapon in a way that ensures that the first thing you do is get a good, solid grip on it when withdrawn, and minimizes any 'irregular' motion of the hand to cock the hammer. Even if you have enormous hands, this is a weird thing to be doing with them at this time...if you have 'normal' sized hands, it's not the safest thing, IMO, and shouldn't become part of routine presentation.

Lowering the safety with the thumb is not just automatic but it's also a fairly natural motion (in my view, anyway). It's natural in the sense that in one smooth motion, you're moving your thumb very little, in one direction only, and toward where you want it to be. During this motion, it's never very far from final position, and at no time did that thumb ever have to 'do anything' really. Quite smooth and natural, and at no time in the way of your sights. I might add, it's instant also, which is kinda important.

The photo below is what a Warthog should look like when in the holster. Cocked and locked. You're certainly free to carry any way you choose, and I don't want to use terms such as 'right' and 'wrong'. But, I will use the term proven, in the sense that this is, IMO, the safest way to defend yourself with a 1911.

JD likes this.
    “If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner.” T Bankhead
    National Mill Dog Rescue www.milldogrescue.org

That's a half-cocked way to carry.........
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Quote Originally Posted by goldshellback View Post
    That's a half-cocked way to carry.........
    “If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner.” T Bankhead
    National Mill Dog Rescue www.milldogrescue.org

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    Nice gun, I love Para and carry Locked and cocked...
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

I love mine too, mine is stainless, with a nice grip on it, and the extended mag for your pinky finger. I going to treat myself to some night sites this weekend. You know I was reading your quote and never believed in anything, always had more questions about God than Answers. Out of all the things I have read, been told and studied that quote made the most sense to me! Thanks

I'm a lefty and carry cocked and locked everywhere I go with an ambi safety. A holster with a body protector that has the safety indention properly molded in will make it harder for the thumb safety to disengauge. I haven't yet knocked my safety off, I can't say it will never happen. As soon as my holster come in, I'm going to start carrying my Para Black Ops and let my Springfield Champion ride the bench.
    Remember, Life is not like a box of chocolate's.. It's more like a jalapeno pepper, because what you decide upon today can really burn your butt tomorrow..

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    Starkster, poster's have answered your question already, but I would like to add that one issue that will arise carrying a 1911 with a round in the chamber and the hammer at half cock is that you have to manually lower the hammer by pulling the trigger and slowly releasing the hammer to half cock over a live round. One slip or one single mistake and you will discharge your firearm.

Please read up on carrying cocked and locked and seek out professional training to feel more comfortable with your gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Starkster View Post
    I have a Warthog and my question is if you carry a round in he chamber without the hammer in the cocked position you run the risk of discharge if the weapon falls out of the holster, ok. When you pull the hammer back slightly it cocks but won't fire. Could you carry in this position? It seems with the space between the hammer and fire pin and locked it would not go off if dropped. Then I could draw and pull the hammer back and be ready to fire. It doesn't seem any different really than carrying fully cocked with the safety on. I can draw both ways just about the same. Safety is my main concern and I feel safer with I guess what you would call half cocked.
    Thanks Jim Stark
    If you like going around half-cocked then so be it. Obviously a single action shooter here. I just wanted to clear up one thing.......you don't carry a "weapon" per se. You carry a defensive sidearm. A "weapon" can be construed as prima facie evidence that you're out to do harm instead of defend yourself. My words of wisdom for the day....that and you never know who knows what you're doing or saying on the internet.
    When I carried a single action 45ACP I always kept it cocked and locked hammer all the way back and safety engaged. The half cock notch would be for those unwilling to engage the safety. I've personally never dropped a pistol so I've never been concerned with what might occur in this instance. I care too much for my pistols and I also pride myself in ways of controlling and retaining them. Amen and pass the sausage gravy.
    goldshellback likes this.

My buddy has several Glocks and he said the directions say if you don't want it to fire don't put your finger on the trigger. I thought that was the golden rule for all guns? Anyway I have several pistols the Warthog feels the best in my hand. The last two days I have been cocked and locked and I think I am getting the feel for it. And hey 1 in the Chamber and 10 in the mag. .45 knock down power, I am happy! And your right about watching the lingo in this day in age, good call!

I used to carry my 1911 with the hammer down on a live round... until one day the hammer slipped as I was lowering it. I was extremely lucky that it didn't have enough inertia to set off a round, because the barrel was pointed directly at my thigh. Yeah... I'm that dumb. I tell you what though... short of shooting myself that was the best learning experience I could have had.

So back to your question... cocked and locked if there's a round in the chamber. Glad you're getting used to it.

Sponsored Links