Smith & Wesson M&P 45

This is a discussion on Smith & Wesson M&P 45 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a 45c for about a year. Great carry weapon and very accurate. Depending on what slightly used is, with 2 extra mags, that's ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Smith & Wesson M&P 45

I have a 45c for about a year. Great carry weapon and very accurate. Depending on what slightly used is, with 2 extra mags, that's not a bad price around here. Maybe the buyer has a couple boxes of ammo they can through into the deal.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by redbeardsong View Post
    Is that the M&P45c? The triggers seem better on newer ones, but don't have the nice reset of the glock triggers. That being said, I really want one!

yes, its a 45C. Trigger reset is not an audible "click" like a Glock, but I never noticed until I came here and read all the complaints.

Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    yes, its a 45C. Trigger reset is not an audible "click" like a Glock, but I never noticed until I came here and read all the complaints.

I've long thought that was the perfect sized weapon for carry. I wish they would make that frame size in a 9mm.

Quote Originally Posted by redbeardsong View Post
    I've long thought that was the perfect sized weapon for carry. I wish they would make that frame size in a 9mm.
    I agree. Smith & Wesson makes the M&P Full size and the Compact in 9mm.....these are pretty close the the Glock 17 and Glock 26 in size. A mid size 9mm comparable to a Glock 19 in 9mm
    would be primo.
    Katana likes this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

cj
    I've got 3 M&Ps and don't think any of the triggers are in the 7+ pound range. However, $500 seems a bit high for used, even with the magazines. Many people buy the magazines for $40+ each not realizing that they're fairly easily found for around $22 each.

For me, they'd have to come down a chunk on the pricing. I realize the .45 costs a little more than the other calibers, but I paid $450 for my last used M&P, and that included 3 holsters, a light, and a bunch of ammo. So if it's something you're not already interested in, I'm not seeing a lot of draw for you, and I'm becoming an M&P addict.

Just being curious I measured and got 4 1/4 lbs on this 45c trigger. That's a definitely on the light side, IMO, for a carry weapon--and scary light after shooting a double action. This with all standard springs except the heavier 'MA Compliant' sear spring.

What I believe makes the larger reduction in weight is a change to the contour of the sear. At least on my stock sear, it's shaped so it has to overcome a bit of striker pressure--naturally. The ever-so-slight 'flattening' of that curvature quickly reduces that preload, no spring changes required. I think the Apex sear is still about $25, and by polishing the trigger bar, back edge of the sear and the striker face--you can get the weight down and smoothness up without much fuss.

If it feels warm and cozy in your hands, then I would be extremely surprised...and I do mean extremely...if you didn't fall in love after a very short while.
    I know a fellow shooter at the club was impressed with what I was doing with it about a year ago, and wanted to see my results with his Les Baer 1911--didn't do any better. Plus I had the extra $2,500 in the bank that he was missing.
    “If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner.” T Bankhead
    National Mill Dog Rescue www.milldogrescue.org

I'm very impressed with my 45c so far, but in all fairness I've only had it about 3 weeks and only have 100 rounds downrange with it. I paid right around $600 for the gun, shipping, FFL fees, background check, and an extra magazine, so I'd say that $500 for the gun and 4 magazines is a pretty good price depending on how "lightly used" it is.
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

interesting, S&W lists that trigger at 7lbs....typo?

I couldn't get him any lower then 500, I think I woulda popped if he'd said 450-475...I think ill just keep looking. but now seeing it compared to a G19, I think it might of been a nice carry gun, but I don't carry the 19 due to it being a little big.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vanagonnuts View Post
    interesting, S&W lists that trigger at 7lbs....typo?

I couldn't get him any lower then 500, I think I woulda popped if he'd said 450-475...I think ill just keep looking. but now seeing it compared to a G19, I think it might of been a nice carry gun, but I don't carry the 19 due to it being a little big.
    As I have mentioned, I currently have three of them and have owned more in the past. Not one of them were 7 pounds out of the box.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

VIP Member
    I don't know what the trigger pull on mine is but I have no issues with it. The more it is shot the better it gets.

This is strictly my house gun.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

I bought the M&P .45, mid size.

$450 at G & R Tactical's website.

I wasn't a fan of the stock trigger, so I went with the DCAEK; highly recommend it

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S II using Tapatalk
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links